View Poll Results: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 31.71%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • I don't know

    4 4.88%
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 169

Thread: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    There are murders in prisons.especially state prisons
    1. You didn't read what I said.
    2. You did and are argueing that all prisoners should be put to death.

  2. #42
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    1. You didn't read what I said.
    2. You did and are argueing that all prisoners should be put to death.
    No im not...I concede we werent talking about the same thing perry

  3. #43
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Recent high profile executions have resulted in a resurgence of debate about the death penalty. One thing I'm noticing is that, several times now, I have seen a post by someone who has told me in the past that it's wrong to call abortion murder (because abortion is legal) yet calling an execution murder. I do concede that abortion is not legally defined as murder, but then, wouldn't the same be true of the death penalty?

    So, what do you think? Is carrying out the death penalty murder? Explain why or why not.
    No, it's not murder. I disagree with it, because I don't think the government should have the right to kill it's citizens unless it is in direct defense against an existing threat (shooting a gunman on a rampage, for example).

    But since it is legal, it cannot be murder.

  4. #44
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    The False Confession | Psychology Today

    An interesting read and relevant to this topic. Plenty of convicted criminals are convicted because they confessed to the crime, but false confessions are actually pretty common. Yet another piece of evidence leading us toward the inevitable conclusion, that our system executes innocent people. The killing of an innocent person is murder, so yes, sometimes the death penalty can be murder. And it's quite a leap of faith to think that we've never executed an innocent person.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The False Confession | Psychology Today

    An interesting read and relevant to this topic. Plenty of convicted criminals are convicted because they confessed to the crime, but false confessions are actually pretty common. Yet another piece of evidence leading us toward the inevitable conclusion, that our system executes innocent people. The killing of an innocent person is murder, so yes, sometimes the death penalty can be murder. And it's quite a leap of faith to think that we've never executed an innocent person.
    The killing of an innocent person is not murder until one is convicted of murder. Innocent people are killed everyday, many times because of willful actions of people. Such as drunk driving. Generally they are not convicted of murder because murder is nothing more than a legal definition and certain conditions must be met and a jury or judge must agree.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    So long as the DP is carried out in accordance with the law, it -cannot- be murder.

  7. #47
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Murder? I don't know. Is justifiable homicide a form of murder? If the victim had killed the prep during the commission of the crime, would it have been ruled 'justifiable homicide'? If so, why can't society give justice to that victim?
    I have no problem with the death penalty being applied when it has been proven that guilty party committed a heinous crime beyond any doubt (not just the reasonable doubt criteria that is needed to convict someone of a crime).
    The difference is self defense. Executions are not self defense; just like shooting a criminal who is running away would not be considered self defense.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." —John Adams

  8. #48
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,607

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Of course it isnt 'murder'. Murder is defined as "unlawful killing." The death penalty is not only legal but described as a valid penalty for certain heinous acts.

    Interesting how easily some 'qualify' their definitions.

  9. #49
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Of course it isnt 'murder'. Murder is defined as "unlawful killing." The death penalty is not only legal but described as a valid penalty for certain heinous acts.

    Interesting how easily some 'qualify' their definitions.
    What I've always been in awe of are the people who want to call abortion murder, but get riled up when the DP is called murder, and, on the flip side, people who want to call the DP murder, but get all riled up when abortion is called murder.

    The people who don't call either of those murder, or call both murder (I believe Mac considers both to be murder) are at least consistent in their application of the word.

  10. #50
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New York, New York
    Last Seen
    03-11-16 @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    551

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    I wouldn't equate it with murder but I am still strongly against it.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •