View Poll Results: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 31.71%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • I don't know

    4 4.88%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 169

Thread: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

  1. #11
    Unnecessary Middleman Bardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    605

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Does murder have to be illegal for it to be considered murder from a moral stand point? Obviously if it's legal it's not murder from a legal stand point, but what if the law is wrong?
    "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." Bertrand Russell

  2. #12
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I believe it is murder.
    Its murder by the state.
    The only time i can see the death penalty being used is on convicted war criminals.
    No, death penalty is a form of punishment/justice.

    and why is a war criminal any different than mass murderer?
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Does murder have to be illegal for it to be considered murder from a moral stand point? Obviously if it's legal it's not murder from a legal stand point, but what if the law is wrong?
    There is a difference between moral and legal. The definition of murder however depends on the law. If you called either the death penalty or abortion "immoral killing", that is fine, but if you call either murder, then you are misusing the word.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Unnecessary Middleman Bardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    605

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is a difference between moral and legal. The definition of murder however depends on the law. If you called either the death penalty or abortion "immoral killing", that is fine, but if you call either murder, then you are misusing the word.
    In that case we might as well just check the law books, answer the OP and close the thread. It's legal in some places, and in others it isn't.
    "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." Bertrand Russell

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    silly question... of course it's not murder... it's not illegal.


    you can call it homicide all day long and be right.... but call it murder once and you are wrong.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Recent high profile executions have resulted in a resurgence of debate about the death penalty. One thing I'm noticing is that, several times now, I have seen a post by someone who has told me in the past that it's wrong to call abortion murder (because abortion is legal) yet calling an execution murder. I do concede that abortion is not legally defined as murder, but then, wouldn't the same be true of the death penalty?

    So, what do you think? Is carrying out the death penalty murder? Explain why or why not.
    It's only murder when the person is innocent.

    I think when people say "murder" they really just mean "unjust killing" and even though that's not the definition of murder, I think that's how a lot of people define it personally and colloquially.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    In that case we might as well just check the law books, answer the OP and close the thread. It's legal in some places, and in others it isn't.
    This is actually his point I think. It's not that the law decides what is moral or not. It is that the word murder depends on the law.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Neither the Death Penalty or Abortion are murder due to the fact they are both legal. That of course doesn't man either are right or wrong.
    Right in that murder is simply a legal term. Nobody has been convicted of murder so no it's not murder. It is either right or wrong though. CP is wrong. While it is not murder it's not any better than what the criminal has been convicted of doing.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 09-26-11 at 09:12 PM.

  9. #19
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Recent high profile executions have resulted in a resurgence of debate about the death penalty. One thing I'm noticing is that, several times now, I have seen a post by someone who has told me in the past that it's wrong to call abortion murder (because abortion is legal) yet calling an execution murder. I do concede that abortion is not legally defined as murder, but then, wouldn't the same be true of the death penalty?

    So, what do you think? Is carrying out the death penalty murder? Explain why or why not.
    Legally, no. Morally, what Dash said in post #2.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    IMO, there are persuasive arguments against the death penalty.

    Hyperbole is not one of them.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •