View Poll Results: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 31.71%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • I don't know

    4 4.88%
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 169

Thread: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

  1. #141
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Alright, the government has the rite to take away someones life, why can't it take away a fetuses? and lol at the straw man comment.
    The obvious argument would be that the fetus does not receive the benefits of due process beforehand, whereas the executed criminal does receive due process.

  2. #142
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The obvious argument would be that the fetus does not receive the benefits of due process beforehand, whereas the executed criminal does receive due process.
    I am arguing that the fetus doesn't have rites; therefore, it doesn't get due process.

  3. #143
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I am arguing that the fetus doesn't have rites; therefore, it doesn't get due process.
    A pointless argument, considering the specific question you asked.

  4. #144
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Alright, the government has the rite to take away someones life, why can't it take away a fetuses? and lol at the straw man comment.
    I wasn't going to point it out but it is important to note that it's 'right' - with a 'ght' and not a 'rite' - a 'rite' is a religious ritual or ceremony.

    And yeah sure - why can't it just not grant a fetus rights until later? It can take away your rights if it wants to By giving too much weight to the potential rights of a developing fetus you're ignoring the rights of the woman - and on and on we go.

    You might as well be arguing about animal rights and why we shouldn't kill them for food if we don't let people torture them at will.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #145
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    That statement was meant to be targeting my own rambling about speeding.
    Aha! I have translated my obtuse point.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Well, if he's on a public road, with a 55 mph, and went 75 mph, then he's illegally exceeding the speed limit and the fact he's a "professional" driver doesn't matter. He may THINK that it shouldn't be illegal because he's a professional and the roads clear and he could drive it perfectly fine and therefore its not speeding....but it'd still be speeding in reality.
    Then we agree. Murder is murder is murder is murder. Only on one end its sanctioned by the gov'ment and on the other its a person doing it for whatever reasons. You think legal murder is justified. So be it but to me its still murder. Its just killing wrapped up in another word.
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 10-06-11 at 03:02 PM.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  6. #146
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Then we agree. Murder is murder is murder is murder.
    Correct, murder is murder is murder.

    Or stated another equal way

    Illegal killing is illegal killing is illegal killing

    Only on one end its sanctioned by the gov'ment and on the other its a person doing it for whatever reasons. You think legal murder is justified.
    Murder, IE illegal killing, that is sanctioned by the government can be murder if that sanctioned activity is illegal. For a hypothetical, if an entity of the government hired someone to assassinate someone that'd be murder sanctioned by a government entity. However, since the death penalty is LEGAL that is not a form of murder.

    Also, saying "legal murder" makes no sense because for murder to have occured it requires it to be an illegal killing. What you're saying would be "Legal illegal killing" which makes zero sense. It'd be like saying a cold fire, or a liquid chunk of meat, or a truthful politician (). Murder by its definition is illegal killing, so you can't have "legal" murder. Just legal killing

  7. #147
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    10-07-11 @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So, what do you think? Is carrying out the death penalty murder? Explain why or why not.
    No, it would be like calling incarceration kidnapping.

    But it seems like were talking about abortion now. When I talk to pro-choice people I try to find out where thier line in the sand is. For some people partial birth aborton is barbaric, but if we can kill the little bastard (most abortions are from single women) before it has a nervous system our hands are clean.

  8. #148
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Correct, murder is murder is murder.

    Or stated another equal way

    Illegal killing is illegal killing is illegal killing



    Murder, IE illegal killing, that is sanctioned by the government can be murder if that sanctioned activity is illegal. For a hypothetical, if an entity of the government hired someone to assassinate someone that'd be murder sanctioned by a government entity. However, since the death penalty is LEGAL that is not a form of murder.

    Also, saying "legal murder" makes no sense because for murder to have occured it requires it to be an illegal killing. What you're saying would be "Legal illegal killing" which makes zero sense. It'd be like saying a cold fire, or a liquid chunk of meat, or a truthful politician (). Murder by its definition is illegal killing, so you can't have "legal" murder. Just legal killing
    Legal murder = Death by government justice. Its almost the same word repacked to make people feel better about themselves.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  9. #149
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    Legal murder = Death by government justice. Its almost the same word repacked to make people feel better about themselves.
    MURDER = Illegal Killing

    You can't have legal illegal killing. The fact its legal means it isn't illegal.

    What you're saying is akin to stating a "left right hand turn" or a "downward upwards jump" or a "backwards forward step".

  10. #150
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    MURDER = Illegal Killing

    You can't have legal illegal killing. The fact its legal means it isn't illegal.

    What you're saying is akin to stating a "left right hand turn" or a "downward upwards jump" or a "backwards forward step".
    its astounding to me that people are trying to rewrite the definition of murder. Since murder is a legal term its subjectivity isnt that large.

    The death penalty is certainly not murder by any stretch of the imagination, its impossible.

    It amazes me how hard some people will argue against FACTS. I mean we are all here to talk about our opinions but at times facts present themselves and theres always a hand full of people that just ram their heads against the facts over and over again with no logic at all and act like they could change them LMAO
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •