View Poll Results: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    26 31.71%
  • No

    52 63.41%
  • I don't know

    4 4.88%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 169

Thread: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

  1. #131
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    What about a proffesional driver? With a perfectly clear view of the way ahead. What if this said person then went 75mph with 100% certianty there was no risk to anyone. Would this person not be "speeding" in the way you use it? Wouldn't his version of speeding be above the average persons. And if the awnser is yes then wouldnt a smarter persons "speeding" factor be above a dumb persons?
    Laws are intended to apply equally to everybody. Opinions about what speeding is have no bearing on what the legal limit for velocity is.

    Hrm... Wait, how does this relate to the death penalty topic... Aww **** it.
    It relates to what legal and illegal mean. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a human being. Laws are not defined by an individual's opinion, they are defined by legislation.

    The death penalty might be immoral to someone (I am in this camp, myself), but that doesn't make it murder.

    The key is that "murder" does not mean "the immoral killing of a human".

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,964

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    What about a proffesional driver? With a perfectly clear view of the way ahead. What if this said person then went 75mph with 100% certianty there was no risk to anyone. Would this person not be "speeding" in the way you use it?
    Well, if he's on a public road, with a 55 mph, and went 75 mph, then he's illegally exceeding the speed limit and the fact he's a "professional" driver doesn't matter. He may THINK that it shouldn't be illegal because he's a professional and the roads clear and he could drive it perfectly fine and therefore its not speeding....but it'd still be speeding in reality.

  3. #133
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,007

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    It relates to what legal and illegal mean. Murder is defined as the unlawful killing of a human being. Laws are not defined by an individual's opinion, they are defined by legislation.

    The death penalty might be immoral to someone (I am in this camp, myself), but that doesn't make it murder.

    The key is that "murder" does not mean "the immoral killing of a human".
    That statement was meant to be targeting my own rambling about speeding.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  4. #134
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    That statement was meant to be targeting my own rambling about speeding.
    My bad. I misunderstood.

  5. #135
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Do you think that there is a law against naming a fetus?
    lol no, but just because you name something does not mean that that it has rites. The only thing that does is makes you more emotionally attached to the fetus. My dog has a name, does he have rites?

  6. #136
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    lol no, but just because you name something does not mean that that it has rites.
    Ah, so when your previous argument of "you are not given a name until you are born, so why are you given your rites before you are born?" was shown to be nonsense, you move the goalposts accordingly.

    Noted.
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 10-06-11 at 01:40 PM.

  7. #137
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Ah, so when your previous argument of "you are not given a name until you are born, so why are you given your rites before you are born?" was shown to be nonsense, you move the goalposts accordingly.

    Noted.
    Both would indicate that naming something has nothing to do with whether it has rites or not.

    Although, I will give you that it was a very fine line.

  8. #138
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Both would indicate that naming something has nothing to do with whether it has rites or not.
    So you acknowledge that you created a strawman and then failed to even defeat your strawman.

  9. #139
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Something has rights when we agree as a society that it has rights and take steps to make solid what those rights are and then defend those rights when they're threatened.

    We give people rights because we want to.

    The reason for granting those rights differs.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #140
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is the Death Penalty Murder?

    Alright, the government has the rite to take away someones life, why can't it take away a fetuses? and lol at the straw man comment.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •