View Poll Results: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of life?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spend as much my money and effort as is needed to extend or improve life.

    2 15.38%
  • As long as it’s not my money, spend whatever is needed.

    0 0%
  • It’s a personal choice – your money, your effort, you choose.

    7 53.85%
  • It’s a public choice – the public should mandate how much should be spent.

    1 7.69%
  • Ask the one who’s life is in need of saving.

    4 30.77%
  • Prioritize according to age.

    1 7.69%
  • Prioritize according to past social contribution.

    0 0%
  • Prioritize according to estimated future social contributions.

    2 15.38%
  • Life is important, but quality of life is not nearly so important.

    2 15.38%
  • I’m choosing not to contribute because of the idiocy of the question.

    3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 62

Thread: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of life?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Unless you're very wealthy, this will happen. Choices are: for-profit insurance company or government employee/medical ethics boards.

    There is no third option.
    There is a lot more variety in insurance or more of potential variety, but things have been seriously constrained by regulation and rent seeking.
    Insurance companies aren't without fault, but neither is the public, nor government.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    There is a lot more variety in insurance or more of potential variety, but things have been seriously constrained by regulation and rent seeking.
    Insurance companies aren't without fault, but neither is the public, nor government.
    Yes, all the choices sux. Yes, it suxes that we have to choose.

    And yet, we do. So what should we do?

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    My grandmother died in her 80s in a nursing home she “existed “ in for several years. She kept trying to die from various causes but the doctors with incentive from her kids kept doing things to make her live longer, longer than she should have in my opinion. Sometimes you just need to let people go.

  4. #34
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My grandmother died in her 80s in a nursing home she “existed “ in for several years. She kept trying to die from various causes but the doctors with incentive from her kids kept doing things to make her live longer, longer than she should have in my opinion. Sometimes you just need to let people go.
    This is happening to my wife's grandmother right now. She has a massive stroke a month ago and has barely any consciousness at this point.

  5. #35
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,114

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I don't want someone else to decide, if I am worth saving.
    you might want to read your own insurance policy carefully.

    if it turns out that other people won't be making any decisions about whether or not to fund your end of life strategy, then you have one amazing policy.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    you might want to read your own insurance policy carefully.

    if it turns out that other people won't be making any decisions about whether or not to fund your end of life strategy, then you have one amazing policy.
    Who say's I have to have insurance for that.
    That is the primary problem with this whole medical care discussion, the though that someone else or something else must pay for medical care.

    And we wonder why medical care inflation exists.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Who say's I have to have insurance for that.
    That is the primary problem with this whole medical care discussion, the though that someone else or something else must pay for medical care.

    And we wonder why medical care inflation exists.
    You can "go naked". Meaning, have no insurance. In which case, you will die fast.....even if you could be saved.

    This seems like a terrible waste of a 30-something.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    You can "go naked". Meaning, have no insurance. In which case, you will die fast.....even if you could be saved.

    This seems like a terrible waste of a 30-something.
    It's an economic argument as to why medical care price is inflating.
    Tons of theory points to 3rd party payers and the general price ignorance for the average consumer.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's an economic argument as to why medical care price is inflating.
    Tons of theory points to 3rd party payers and the general price ignorance for the average consumer.
    O, I agree.

    BTW, people my age have the opposite problem from you. We all want you to be saved, go on working and paying taxes. But once you reach a "certain age", most of us fear being kept alive, by "heroic measures", in a state of pain, confusion and all that. And we have to FIGHT to avoid this.

    Seems crazy, huh?

  10. #40
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: How much effort & expense is "reasonable" to save someone's life or quality of li

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    O, I agree.

    BTW, people my age have the opposite problem from you. We all want you to be saved, go on working and paying taxes. But once you reach a "certain age", most of us fear being kept alive, by "heroic measures", in a state of pain, confusion and all that. And we have to FIGHT to avoid this.

    Seems crazy, huh?
    People should be allowed to off themselves, if they reach such a state.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •