View Poll Results: Is American an Ethnicity?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    20 25.64%
  • No

    58 74.36%
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 169

Thread: Is American an Ethnicity?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    However, I'm not an American nationalist and I don't believe you have to be an Americanist to be an American.
    My family and I will have to disagree with you on that.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I would say yes.
    There are Black Jews in Africa, that are considered part of the Jewish Ethnic group.
    more correctly they would be considered Ethiopian Jews. A minor sub ethnic group a Jews. There are two major sub ethnic group among Jews, and a few minor ones.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  3. #113
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Probably not...but only because they happened to look sufficiently different, and that just happens to coincide with the perception of ethnicity in Anglophonic countries. Ask the same question, but substitute Iranian immigrants for Chinese immigrants. Would anyone identify THEIR descendants as being ethnically Irish? I would say yes.
    If they could pass as being Irish physically then they probably would be seen as ethnically Irish unless dna testing was done
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #114
    Unnecessary Middleman Bardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    605

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    My family and I will have to disagree with you on that.
    Then which is more important?

    Is someone who is born in America with anti-American views more or less American than a Mexican immigrant with pro-American views?
    "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." Bertrand Russell

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    According to Federal and State law, ALL who are citizens of the United States, are Americans. Be they natural-born or naturalized.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    My family and I will have to disagree with you on that.
    the opinions of you and your family are irrelevent to this thread.

    This thread is about facts and the law.

  7. #117
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    If they could pass as being Irish physically then they probably would be seen as ethnically Irish unless dna testing was done
    But what would DNA testing prove? Sure, it might tell you what part of the world someone's ancestors came from, but it wouldn't tell you what ethnicity they were because there is no objective definition. For example, in the modern Anglophonic concept of ethnicity, anyone whose ancestors came from anywhere between Iceland and Armenia is considered "white." Yet those with ancestry from China/Korea are typically NOT considered the same ethnicity, despite the fact that they are much closer geographically. Ditto for Turkey/Syria or Israel/Palestine.

    As far as I can tell, the only difference is how people self-identify.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-26-11 at 08:49 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #118
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Dakota
    Last Seen
    09-02-17 @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,357

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    According to Federal and State law, ALL who are citizens of the United States, are Americans. Be they natural-born or naturalized.
    The point of this thread was not to marginalize American citizens who are apart of different ethnic groups or debate what an American Citizen even was. The debate of American being an ethnicity does not have to encompass all American citizens. It would be a sub group of people with a long heritage in North America who would identify as such. Just like some citizens of Turkey are part of the Turkish ethnic group, while some Turkish citizens are Kurdish. Do you get what I am saying?
    Last edited by drz-400; 09-26-11 at 09:15 PM.

  9. #119
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    But what would DNA testing prove? Sure, it might tell you what part of the world someone's ancestors came from, but it wouldn't tell you what ethnicity they were because there is no objective definition. For example, in the modern Anglophonic concept of ethnicity, anyone whose ancestors came from anywhere between Iceland and Armenia is considered "white." Yet those with ancestry from China/Korea are typically NOT considered the same ethnicity, despite the fact that they are much closer geographically. Ditto for Turkey/Syria or Israel/Palestine.

    As far as I can tell, the only difference is how people self-identify.
    White to my knowledge is not an ethnic group, it is more of the three major racial divides, along with Oriental (mongoloid), Black African (Negroid), while white would be white european (Caucasoid). As more people from various specific ethnic grouop intermarry, people are losing the ethnic ties, and as such identifying with the broader racial identifier. That as well is breaking down slowly as people intermarry between the various racial divides

    Overal if one is to divide Korean ethnically from Han Chinese, as opposed to calling them Oriental, why are Germans (Bavarians) lumped into the same category of White with Poles.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is American an Ethnicity?

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    The point of this thread was not to marginalize American citizens who are apart of different ethnic groups or debate what an American Citizen even was. The debate of American being an ethnicity does not have to encompass all American citizens. It would be a sub group of people with a long heritage in North America who would identify as such. Just like some citizens of Turkey are part of the Turkish ethnic group, while some Turkish citizens are Kurdish. Do you get what I am saying?
    yes. but unlike most states in Europe, the USA is not a nation-state.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •