View Poll Results: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $60k

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    41 42.71%
  • no

    55 57.29%
  • i dont know. i dont care

    0 0%
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 77 of 77

Thread: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $60k

  1. #71
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Yes Turtle, I understand you did advocate for that. You have changed your position on taxation many times giving us many different stances and defending many different - sometimes opposite - tax policies. I have those at had to present to you if you need them.
    You are being dishonest about my position

    I have always supported as the best practical solution a consumption tax first and a flat tax second

    Theoretically I support a flat even charge for everyone with increased benefits for those who pay more than their share of that flat fee. But the two practical approaches prevent the masses from voting up the rates of others pain free. that is the goal-to prevent the masses from being seduced to vote for your party based on promises that your party will take money from the wealthy to buy the loyalty of the masses



  2. #72
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    can you prove a billionaire uses more than he pays in taxes while the poor do not?
    Can you prove that he doesn't? Who does an earthquake effect more, the employee that can't get to work, or the business owner who's business grinds to a halt because nobody can get to his business?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    a billionaire pays more income taxes than 80 million Americans combined. So it is your position a billionaire uses more direct government services than those 80 million?
    Can you prove the effort required to make a billionth dollar is the same as the effort to make the first dollar?

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by pdog
    Can you prove that he doesn't? Who does an earthquake effect more, the employee that can't get to work, or the business owner who's business grinds to a halt because nobody can get to his business?
    Can you prove the effort required to make a billionth dollar is the same as the effort to make the first dollar?
    I think you like strawmen more than Frank Baum. Marginal income has absolutely no basis in this argument.

  4. #74
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Being a proponent of flat taxes I would say yes but I believe that flat taxes should be broken down into different percentages based on income.

    The flat part comes from there not being any deductions etc. no one however should be taxed more than 25% and that would be for people who earn in the Millions. Most people should pay less than half that, and those just above and below the poverty line should pay nothing at all.

    We should have a small Federal sales tax not to exceed 5% on anything including Gasoline, but not including food, drugs, and rent.

  5. #75
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    12-29-11 @ 11:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    I voted no on this poll, but I assure I am far from rich. To tax one person more than the other is unfair. To try to tax the rich more is theft. If a homeless person came to you and said, "You look like you're more well-off than I am, can I have half the money on your wallet?" You'd probably at the very least give him an earful.

    No one is entitled to another's earnings. Self-reliance is key.

  6. #76
    Professor
    pdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Searching for answers.
    Last Seen
    06-30-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,969

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I think you like strawmen more than Frank Baum. Marginal income has absolutely no basis in this argument.
    Get a clue. Despite his cherry picking of 1 out of a half dozen arguments from my original post, my first response is a direct response to both his first and second statement. I didn't ignore or sidestep his point at all. Strawman, my ...

    My second was an attempt at the tactic used by so many others here - to skate the burden of proof by asking another question. Myself, and probably a lot of others are tired, tired of posting long thought out arguments only to have somebody ignore all but 1% to make an over simplified argument.

    And you want to say marginal income isn't relevant in an argument about fair share? I'm sorry but to call 20% of income made by doing absolutely nothing (interest) is the "same" or "more" as 20% of an hourly wage is a gross oversimplification of our world. If you truly believe that you are 100% in control of your own destiny then I have no chance of convincing you otherwise. But if you're a realist and understand the chaos involved of every outcome of the real world, then you'd also understand that the value of a buck varies from individual to individual.

    If I'm wrong and this is about straight up value, then why is the counter answer to progressive taxes not a flat dollar amount instead of a flat rate. How about every american should pay $10K to be a citizen.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    01-09-12 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Take H. Cain's idea of 9, 9 and 9...9% of 25,000.00 per year is $2,250.00 and 9% of $20,000,000.00 is $1,800,000.00
    The rich guy pays more with a simple flat tax and no deductions. That is equatable, but taxing them more under this current system is robbery, legal robbery just because they are rich. If the poor can't be blamed for being poor, why would you throw blame at a rich person? because they worked harder and were smarter? That also would not be fair. Fair is exactly that...a flat tax for everyone including big business with no deductions.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •