View Poll Results: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $60k

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    41 42.71%
  • no

    55 57.29%
  • i dont know. i dont care

    0 0%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 77

Thread: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $60k

  1. #41
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    I think Mr. Harris far underestimates the committment to ideology among some republicans. While attending a conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma for two weeks, I asked almost this very question to many of the local attendees (most of whom worked in higher education, I might add, so presumably these were among the more liberal people to be found there). I didn't keep track of numbers, but the vast majority said not only yes, but hell yes, they'd rather see that than any higher taxation on the wealthy. There were a few who answered differently. But not many.

    Anyway, I find the article almost spot on. Most of the wealthy did not really earn their wealth, and none who did any earning earned it all on their own. Wealth is a product of society as a whole first, and only of individuals as a distant second.
    the lengths people go through to justify confiscating wealth they had nothing to do with creating.



  2. #42
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the lengths people go through to justify confiscating wealth they had nothing to do with creating.
    People claim society is repsonsible for the success. I find that idea disgusting. I just don't understand...

    If I make widgets and sell 5 million a year at a $1 profit each, it was my innovation and work that created the products. Sure, I needed to hire people to help make the products, but the people hired had agreements with me as to exactly what that help was worth and there was mutual consent between us. Sure, I needed people to buy the product, but I also had agreements with in terms of the worth of the benefit of each product to each consumer and so they paid a price for the product. In each arrangement, it is a win/win situation - mutuall beneficial and mutual consent. The workers don't get more money because I make more money. Their worth is determined seperately based on what others are willing to work for and what I'm willing to pay. The customers don't get my money because they found it beneficial to buy my product. I don't understand what debt I owe to any part of society... Could someone explain this to me? How is wealth a product of society and not an individual? Because society didn't prevent me from earning wealth? So a person who runs a marathon should thank me for not tripping him?

  3. #43
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by turtledude
    the lengths people go through to justify confiscating wealth they had nothing to do with creating.
    Did you think my post was unreasonably long? Surely you are aware of books that are rather longer...aren't you?

  4. #44
    Guru
    ashurbanipal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz
    If I make widgets and sell 5 million a year at a $1 profit each, it was my innovation and work that created the products. Sure, I needed to hire people to help make the products, but the people hired had agreements with me as to exactly what that help was worth and there was mutual consent between us.
    The bolded bit is false, because you're leaving something out. Adam Smith, and most of the other classical economists, recognized this, and it ought to be plain as day. Once all land (including, I suppose, the "virtual land" of other means of production) is owned, the people who are in the position of "making widgets" have the power to compel the nature and terms of that agreement.

  5. #45
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by ashurbanipal View Post
    The bolded bit is false, because you're leaving something out. Adam Smith, and most of the other classical economists, recognized this, and it ought to be plain as day. Once all land (including, I suppose, the "virtual land" of other means of production) is owned, the people who are in the position of "making widgets" have the power to compel the nature and terms of that agreement.
    That is an excellent point. And if not for the opportunity to buy land yourself, I would have to agree with you. But in the US, so long as you have the opportunity to get a job, the opportunity to save and buy the land, then any shortfall is not that of society's, but of yourself. (this is of course ignoring the practical applications of the real world - one could rent - one could simply put themselves in a position of high-demand by being the best and demand their pay - but I am trying to respond to the overall philosophy of your argument)

  6. #46
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    People claim society is repsonsible (sic) for the success. I find that idea disgusting. I just don't understand...

    If I make widgets and sell 5 million a year at a $1 profit each, it was my innovation and work that created the products. Sure, I needed to hire people to help make the products, but the people hired had agreements with me as to exactly what that help was worth and there was mutual consent between us. Sure, I needed people to buy the product, but I also had agreements with in terms of the worth of the benefit of each product to each consumer and so they paid a price for the product. In each arrangement, it is a win/win situation - mutuall (sic) beneficial and mutual consent. The workers don't get more money because I make more money. Their worth is determined seperately (sic) based on what others are willing to work for and what I'm willing to pay. The customers don't get my money because they found it beneficial to buy my product. I don't understand what debt I owe to any part of society... Could someone explain this to me? How is wealth a product of society and not an individual? Because society didn't prevent me from earning wealth? So a person who runs a marathon should thank me for not tripping him?
    Should someone who earns alt= billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes k-noonegotrichonhisown-jpg

    That's what responsibility is all about. I hope this has cleared things up for you.

  7. #47
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Should someone who earns alt= billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes k-noonegotrichonhisown-jpg

    That's what responsibility is all about. I hope this has cleared things up for you.
    warren is just another pimple on the ass of capitalism



  8. #48
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    warren is just another pimple on the ass of capitalism
    its amusing watching the mental gymnastics you must perform to avoid having to honestly confront a difficult argument. It really shows just how deep and pervasive your blind partisanship is.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  9. #49
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Call me crazy, but I'm going with Yes.... Obviously.

    As long as gov't is so damn expensive we HAVE to go where the money is for new revenue... and with a trillion-plus in debt, somethings got to give somewhere.
    I'd rather see a tax equally - if we're talking about income tax. One may assume many of the 1 billion dollar earners own, run, or open businesses. If that's the case they get taxed there as well... pay for a portion of health care, workmans comp... all the normal things. Flat tax is the only "fair" option.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  10. #50
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Should someone who earns alt= billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes k-noonegotrichonhisown-jpg

    That's what responsibility is all about. I hope this has cleared things up for you.
    It doesn't. Everyone uses roads, bridges, etc... not everyone starts up a or keeps a successful business or corporation. The romance with "soak the rich" in taxes while still claiming "everyone must give their fair share" while ignoring 40% of the poplation does pay a cent of income taxes is irony at it's finest. Just another blathering class warfare idiot making yet another excuse for more class warfare.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •