View Poll Results: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $60k

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    41 42.71%
  • no

    55 57.29%
  • i dont know. i dont care

    0 0%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 77

Thread: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $60k

  1. #21
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    i should have put in another option for your type of vote where you disagree with income taxes in general.
    I disagree with direct taxes.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #22
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    Yes, the person making a billion a year has far more discretionary income (i.e. not used to meet basic necessities) than the person making 60k, and since I believe that taxes should only be paid on discretionary income, then he should pay more.
    if a billionaire does not receive any additional value he really should not have to pay anymore though I understand reality and some additional taxes will be taken from the successful and productive to make up for the untalented and unproductive

    however, to claim there is a moral imperative for the rich to pay more is fraudulent



  3. #23
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    And of course YOU would be king of the world and determine where necessity ends and discretionary begins. Hehehe, what a joke.
    wealth grabbers always want to set the standards for others to pay more than they do



  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,255

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wealth grabbers always want to set the standards for others to pay more than they do
    Well you've heard the saying that "socialism is great until you run out of other people's money".
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    And of course YOU would be king of the world and determine where necessity ends and discretionary begins. Hehehe, what a joke.
    Well, I don't know about you, but I really need 5 lamborghinis and a private jet. I mean, that's just the bare necessities, you know? How are you supposed to survive without that kind of stuff?
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  6. #26
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well you've heard the saying that "socialism is great until you run out of other people's money".
    yeah it was my second signature on the board



  7. #27
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,569

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Well, I don't know about you, but I really need 5 lamborghinis and a private jet. I mean, that's just the bare necessities, you know? How are you supposed to survive without that kind of stuff?
    that is an envy based argument. need has nothing to do with rights.

    you have no just claim on a man who owns 6 cars merely because you are not industrious enough to earn the money to buy one car



  8. #28
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-26-11 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    90

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    If we are talking income tax. They should. Income tax was designed to be progressive. Sales takes is designed to be regressive.

  9. #29
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Not only do you (again) misinterpret what has been said, you simultaneously assert that anyone who is poor or less wealthy is so probably because of their own mismanagement and fault.

    Thank you for demonstrating just how deluded and sociopathic you are on this matter.
    Yes because you, nor Sam, has presented any evidence to the contrary.
    Your position is at the very least, equal to mine.


    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Taxing the wealthy a greater percentage WILL help alleviate the problem. (note: no one is arguing for 70+% or anything extreme like how taxes were in the 40's and 50's.)
    By doing what?
    Does it change the behavior of those with no assets to get them to have assets?


    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    Correct. This thread discusses only ONE ASPECT OF NEEDED REFORM. I and Sam agree that reform on government efficiency and spending reductions are also needed but dishonest debaters bring them up as red herrings to distract people from discussing tax reform on the wealthy.
    You and Sam are just lacking evidence.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #30
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should someone who earns $1 billion a year be taxed more than someone who makes $

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    however, to claim there is a moral imperative for the rich to pay more is fraudulent
    I'm not claiming a moral imperative. I'm saying that the rich have more ability to pay taxes than the poor without affecting their ability to provide for the basic necessities of life.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •