View Poll Results: Should the rich pay higher taxes?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    54 36.24%
  • No

    88 59.06%
  • Other

    6 4.03%
  • I don't know

    1 0.67%
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 247

Thread: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher taxes?

  1. #231
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    don't forget lottery tickets
    and fishin boats.

    one of my POS "poor" neighbors lives in a singlewide trailer that looks like it was built in the 70's damn thing is falling apart. his kids get free breakfast/lunch at school and he is "disabled". but he somehow can afford a brand new bass boat and trips to south alabama to go deer hunting (how he manages to walk around in the woods with his disability is beyond me) every other weekend.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #232
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Seen
    09-22-11 @ 11:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    484

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You have to look at all the federal taxes, not just income taxes, and I pay a higher percentage of my total income than the rich who's income comes primarily from investments. That's what needs to be fixed.
    Where do you think rich folks got their money from? Do you think that all rich folks have been handed everything on a little silver platter? Most of the rich folks I know work their butts off and pay a lot in taxes. As you get into the higher tax brackets you lose all the nice deductions etc that the middle income folks enjoy. You have no chance of tax credits, etc. We aren't entitled to take part in things like the Roth IRA program. Most folks that I know who get the majority of their income from investments are retired and have paid a fortune in taxes all their lives. And, while you may pay a higher percentage of your total income than these rich folks you are complaining about here, I'm pretty sure that they still pay more than you do into the coffers of this great country. It's becoming much harder to get rich in this country and if you think that is a good thing then you are not thinking this through.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ah the class envy argument the rich really didn't earn that money so stealing it is justified.

    perhaps the most pathetic of all the silly soak the rich nonsense

    since 51% pay no income tax and 95% pay less taxes than the top 5% of us good. Most of the people should pay more, they pay too little because we in the top 5% subsidize the low rates for the rest of you
    Huh? How's that rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer thing working out for you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Actinium View Post
    It's a good point, but consider who's buying the more expensive stuff.
    Perhaps, but which is more important: The actual dollars spent, or the dollars as a percentage of one's income? Rich people tend to spend more, but they spend a lower percentage of their incomes.

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    We arent in massive debt because we dont take in enough taxes...we are in massive debt because congress spends money like crack whores. We are in debt because 50% of the public pays ZERO in income tax and in fact gets free money via the EIC. We are in massive debt because there are far too many crippled and dependent little ****s in this country that insist the government needs to take care of them and incessantly whine and bitch and moan about how unfair the world is. Meanwhile people of every race and nationality come to this country legally or otherwise and manage to bust their ass and find success. You didnt fix ****...you are the illustration of the problem.
    Disagree with everything other than the first sentence. It is good to see a conservative acknowledge that we need more revenue streams.

    Quote Originally Posted by Actinium View Post
    Please calm down. You have a wonderfully logical point; it's what a lot of people have been trying to say for ages, but people won't listen to you if you start cursing. It makes people get defensive instead of paying attention to your argument.

    I don't think that all of the unemployed people would be particularly unhappy about getting a job. If people who wanted to start up a business were allowed to let it grow by any means possible--including having "the rich" buy their stock, etc., then jobs would be created. Given the opportunity, a few of those businesses would become sufficiently large to provide a considerable number of jobs. Entrepreneurs take a risk, but if you throw Ping-Pong balls at a wall with a hole in it, some will go through, and we should try to make that hole as big as possible.

    I know a lot of poorer people who have good skills and excellent work ethic, which is wasted when they go to work as a Hy-Vee cashier instead of participating in a growing business--or end up not working at all.

    Has anyone here considered that the jobless would be in better health if they were working for the pay they get? If they got out, worked a little, even stocking shelves, then they'd be better off health-wise.
    You should stick around. We need more conservatives that can actually hold an honest debate and not just troll.

    I agree with you to an extent. Don't forget, however, that poor people simply do not have the same mindset as you or I. For them, it's all about day-to-day survival. Long-term planning is practically nonexistent. Ironically, it is this long-term planning that could help get them out of poverty. But that would sacrifice their day-to-day survival. Thus the vicious cycle continues.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    why is it that so many "poor" people who can't afford healthcare or can't afford to go to college or can't afford whatever, always seem to be able to afford cigarettes and beer and gold teeth and gold chains and 15 coon dogs and spinning rims to put on a POS chrysler le baron and $200 in lotto scratchers every month?

    good priorities...many of them don't haz 'em
    Word to the wise: Don't try to understand poverty and the behavior of those afflicted by it, if you don't know how it works.

    Of course the poor would be more likely to buy lottery tickets. Many of them see it as the one shot they have at riches and fame. Considering that their options for getting that are very, very limited, I can't say that I blame them.

    As for spinners and all that other stuff, who cares? Rich white folks also have their shiny stuff that serves as nothing more than a status symbol.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  4. #234
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,553

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Huh? How's that rich-get-richer, poor-get-poorer thing working out for you?
    great, I increase my wealth about 15% each year.



  5. #235
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    great, I increase my wealth about 15% each year.
    That sounds like something Bernie Madoff would say.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  6. #236
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,067

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Yes, and it's an overwhelming majority.
    generally that's correct. a large majority of Americans currently favor raising taxes on the uber wealthy in order to pay for not having to cut entitlements.

    which is, to say, we would like to pay for the equivalent of a brand new car with the equivalent of $1.32 in change we found buried in the back seat of the old one.

    sadly, fiscal reality is unlikely to bend to our preferences.

  7. #237
    User dumbasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-11 @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    60

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    why is it that so many "poor" people who can't afford healthcare or can't afford to go to college or can't afford whatever, always seem to be able to afford cigarettes and beer and gold teeth and gold chains and 15 coon dogs and spinning rims to put on a POS chrysler le baron and $200 in lotto scratchers every month?

    good priorities...many of them don't haz 'em
    Id like to know how many of you are rich; Im guessing none, because if you were rich you would not be wasting time on the computer arguing with me. I think youre so deep in debt that if you lost your job in two months you would be homeless and begging for food. Or maybe you are retired and board and want to destroy the world for everybody else before you die. More or less what you are trying to say is if you have a refrigerator that you are no poor; if you are not living outside with nothing to eat that some way you are saying that those people should be happy to watch the other 20% of the people living like kings, because some people think that the bottom 80% of this country is lazy and all drug addicts or alcoholics or in some way you are smarter than they are and not that maybe you just got lucky is asinine

  8. #238
    Student Chenoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-04-11 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    273

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by dumbasdirt View Post
    Id like to know how many of you are rich; Im guessing none, because if you were rich you would not be wasting time on the computer arguing with me. I think youre so deep in debt that if you lost your job in two months you would be homeless and begging for food. Or maybe you are retired and board and want to destroy the world for everybody else before you die. More or less what you are trying to say is if you have a refrigerator that you are no poor; if you are not living outside with nothing to eat that some way you are saying that those people should be happy to watch the other 20% of the people living like kings, because some people think that the bottom 80% of this country is lazy and all drug addicts or alcoholics or in some way you are smarter than they are and not that maybe you just got lucky is asinine
    I don't see it as all poor people being lazy, not at all. There are many factors that go into making someone poor: born into poverty, bad decisions, lack of education, etc., etc.

    My father was raised dirt poor on a 40 acre share-cropping tobacco plot (could not be called a farm). He quit school more than once to help bring in the crop. They had mules, not tractors. He continued to go to high-school off and on until he graduated. He then hitchhiked to Atlanta and got a job clerking at an hotel during the night - so he could attend Georgia Tech (and pay for it) during the day. He joined the Army to help with his school expenses. Long story short...he retired as a General, he has a Phd, he has 3 retirement checks coming each month, he successfully (over 15 years ago) started a (now very large) defense company. He lives on a farm - he made the wise decision 2 decades ago to change from cattle to timber. More money.

    If he can do this, anyone can. Oh, and by the way, I wasn't spoiled - at all. I thought we were barely making it for most of my life. All my friends received cars, I had to buy mine (a worn out 1962 PU truck in lovely olive green). I was expected to work around the house and on the farm. Spending money - only if I got a job. I'm so glad my parents made me earn my own way. I'm unafraid to take risks financially, because I know that even if I self destruct financially - I won't go under because I have the tools to recover and start again (myself only - my father doesn't believe in loans and bailouts, even for family members).
    I love how, in scary movies, the person yells out, "Hello?" As if the bad guy is gonna be like, "Yeah, I'm in the kitchen! Want a sandwich?"

  9. #239
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,553

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    That sounds like something Bernie Madoff would say.
    You are rather ignorant of Madoff. that is a normal rate for people who understand what they are doing



  10. #240
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,707

    Re: Are you part of the majority of Americans who feel the rich should pay higher tax

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    You are rather ignorant of Madoff. that is a normal rate for people who understand what they are doing
    YOU are lecturing me about honesty?? lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Chenoa View Post
    I don't see it as all poor people being lazy, not at all. There are many factors that go into making someone poor: born into poverty, bad decisions, lack of education, etc., etc.

    My father was raised dirt poor on a 40 acre share-cropping tobacco plot (could not be called a farm). He quit school more than once to help bring in the crop. They had mules, not tractors. He continued to go to high-school off and on until he graduated. He then hitchhiked to Atlanta and got a job clerking at an hotel during the night - so he could attend Georgia Tech (and pay for it) during the day. He joined the Army to help with his school expenses. Long story short...he retired as a General, he has a Phd, he has 3 retirement checks coming each month, he successfully (over 15 years ago) started a (now very large) defense company. He lives on a farm - he made the wise decision 2 decades ago to change from cattle to timber. More money.

    If he can do this, anyone can. Oh, and by the way, I wasn't spoiled - at all. I thought we were barely making it for most of my life. All my friends received cars, I had to buy mine (a worn out 1962 PU truck in lovely olive green). I was expected to work around the house and on the farm. Spending money - only if I got a job. I'm so glad my parents made me earn my own way. I'm unafraid to take risks financially, because I know that even if I self destruct financially - I won't go under because I have the tools to recover and start again (myself only - my father doesn't believe in loans and bailouts, even for family members).
    That's a really cool story, and I believe it, but there's just one problem: It's only one person. How many impoverished people are denied opportunities because of a crime they committed many years ago? Or are sometimes overlooked for a job simply because of their color of skin--you think that doesn't happen? Or are so ingrained in the life of the ghetto that they lack so many of the basic skills required to survive outside it? And even for those who pass all that and then some, what percentage of poor people really make it from rags to riches? Would we blame the overwhelming majority of those who don't?
    Last edited by Phys251; 09-23-11 at 11:57 AM.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •