View Poll Results: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 66.67%
  • no

    17 25.76%
  • other

    4 6.06%
  • I do not know

    1 1.52%
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 182

Thread: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

  1. #71
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Those are horrendous tax rates.I guess only a lib would think that the government should steal most of the money you earn. That said I have to wonder if any American actually paid those horrendous tax rates after deductions were made.
    Those Top Income tax rates, 70% to 92%, Persisted for Most of the last century. Including under "Libs": Wilson, Nixon, (deficit hawk) Eisenhower, Ford, Truman, as well as Democrats like Kennedy etc.

    It wasn't until the wealthy's wind-up-doll Ronald Reagan in 1980-1988 that the Rich were gifted down from 70% to 28% and the Bottom RAISED from 11 to 15%.

    Including
    Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The top tax rate was lowered from 50% to 28% while the bottom rate was raised from 11% to 15%. Many lower level tax brackets were consolidated, and the upper income level of the bottom rate (married filing jointly) was increased from $5,720/year to $29,750/year. This package ultimately consolidated tax brackets from fifteen levels of income to four levels of income.[1] This would be the Only time in the history of the U.S. income tax (which dates back to the passage of the Revenue Act of 1862) that the top rate was reduced and the bottom rate increased concomitantly. In addition, capital gains faced the same tax rate as ordinary income.
    [......]

    The coup de grace::: Bush then lowering Cap Gains/Divs top 15% from Reagan's 28%.
    and PRESTO!
    We have a Big Deficit, Ever increasing wealth Polarity, and Collapsing Middle Class. Surprise!

    It's time to at least Partially Reverse the Class Warfare waged and won by Ronald Reagan and lower the deficit in the fairest way possible.\
    We couldn't afford Reagan rates then and we definitely can't now.
    Last edited by mbig; 09-19-11 at 07:05 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Those Top Income tax rates, 70% to 92%Persisted for Most of the last century. Including under "Libs": Wilson, Nixon, Eisenhower, Ford, Truman, as well as Democrats like Kennedy etc.

    It wasn't until Ronald Reagan in 1980-1988 that the Rich were gifted from 70% to 28% and the Bottom RAISED from 11 to 15%.
    Kennedy was almost as ardent as Reagan in lowering corporate tax rates. While Reagan was the leader of lowering the effective rate, Kennedy proposed the 2nd largest reduction ever.

    So for all the people wanting to slam supply-side, you better go verbally bash Kennedy too. He authored it, not Reagan.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Those Top Income tax rates, 70% to 92% Persisted for Most of the last century. Including under "Libs": Wilson, Nixon, Eisenhower, Ford, Truman, as well as Democrats like Kennedy etc.

    It wasn't until the wealthy's wind-up-doll Ronald Reagan in 1980-1988 that the Rich were gifted down from 70% to 28% and the Bottom RAISED from 11 to 15%.

    Including
    Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The top tax rate was lowered from 50% to 28% while the bottom rate was raised from 11% to 15%. Many lower level tax brackets were consolidated, and the upper income level of the bottom rate (married filing jointly) was increased from $5,720/year to $29,750/year. This package ultimately consolidated tax brackets from fifteen levels of income to four levels of income.[1] This would be the Only time in the history of the U.S. income tax (which dates back to the passage of the Revenue Act of 1862) that the top rate was reduced and the bottom rate increased concomitantly. In addition, capital gains faced the same tax rate as ordinary income.
    [......]

    The coup de grace::: Bush then lowering Cap Gains/Divs top 15% from Reagan's 28%.
    and PRESTO!
    We have a Big Deficit, Ever increasing wealth Polarity, and Collapsing Middle Class. Surprise!

    It's time to at least Partially Reverse the Class Warfare waged and won by Ronald Reagan and lower the deficit the fairest way possible.
    All in an era when America was the sole economic super power.
    Things have changed now, get off it man.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #74
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Kennedy was almost as ardent as Reagan in lowering corporate tax rates. While Reagan was the leader of lowering the effective rate, Kennedy proposed the 2nd largest reduction ever.

    So for all the people wanting to slam supply-side, you better go verbally bash Kennedy too. He authored it, not Reagan.
    You have to take into consideration the fiscal side; debt/GDP had fallen from 144% to less than 50% by the time Kennedy took office. Cutting taxes at that stage of the game is/was the right thing to do (economically speaking).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,993

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    from jamesrage

    I guess only a lib would think that the government should steal most of the money you earn.


    Conservatives and those on the far right who persist in the bumper sticker wisdom that taxation is theft and amounts to stealing remind me of the awful joke about the woman who comes home after a long day at work and cries that she was sexually assaulted that day when she cut down an alleyway to save five minutes time in getting to the office. A homeless man living in that alley took advantage of her. Her husband consoles her and she confesses that the worst thing was that it happened twice. "Twice' says the hubby - "why twice?". "I was late for the subway and had to use that same route to come home." she confesses.

    Anybody who uses the over the top hyperbole of THEFT and STEALING when talking about taxation but still lives here of their own choice and of their own free will knowing the rules and the costs, is not going to get any sympathy out of me when they use that same alleyway everyday of their life.
    Last edited by haymarket; 09-19-11 at 07:05 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #76
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    All in an era when America was the sole economic super power.
    Things have changed now, get off it man.
    Another Assinine/empty post.. while I put up solid Info.

    Your cheap shot partisan chirps are a Disgrace and contribute Nothing to this board.
    You know NOTHING about anything just partisanly hack hack hack with nonsense through these strings.
    Last edited by mbig; 09-19-11 at 07:09 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  7. #77
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Another EMPTY post.. while I put up solid Info.

    You cheap shot partisan posts are a Disgrace and contribute Nothing to this board.
    Your post is a combination of jumping to conclusions and a correlation fallacy.

    Tax rates in the U.S. were higher in previous decades, there for it can be replicated now with similar results.
    Jumping to conclusions.

    Wealth disparity is a result of lower tax rates for the wealthy.
    Correlation fallacy.

    Until you offer something other than loosely correlative statistics, they are empty statistic that you keep spamming the board with.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #78
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Your post is a combination of jumping to conclusions and a correlation fallacy.
    And you can demonstrate this?

    Would you consider EVER doing a little research on YOUR posts- or is the usual argumentative Howdy Doody argumentation routine?

    Tax rates in the U.S. were higher in previous decades, there for it can be replicated now with similar results.
    Jumping to conclusions.
    I certainly didn't say that. It's not Iron clad.
    It would MAKE SENSE however.
    While you try to make Common sense into as Proof equation (shifting the burden fallacy), presenting NOTHING of your own, No contrary logic, NOTHING.

    Wealth disparity is a result of lower tax rates for the wealthy.
    Correlation fallacy.
    It's a very Plausible reason, Taking less, Much less, Leaves more. ? ? ?

    Your continued Nonsense harassment of my posts is an issue again.
    Your Howdy-doody Empty/2c posts are a disgrace to this board especially in your position.

    Until you offer something other than loosely correlative statistics, they are empty statistic that you keep spamming the board with.
    You're ALL Spam, No facts.
    Disgraceful trash.
    Last edited by mbig; 09-19-11 at 07:19 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  9. #79
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    No, it shouldn't be made law. We need to revamp our tax system in much more major ways than this.

    We should have a flat tax rate with a single deduction based on family size (and possibly geographic area) to cover cost of living expenses (just the basics) and that's it.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    And you can demonstrate this?
    I did.
    The lack of evidence from you, plus the faulty reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Would you consider EVER doing a little research on YOUR posts- or is the usual argumentative Howdy Doody argumentation routine?
    Research what?
    That you constantly spam the board, with the same material that jumps to conclusions, with a correlation fallacy?

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    I certainly didn't say that. It's not Iron clad.
    It would MAKE SENSE however.
    While you try to make Common sense into as Proof eqaution (shifting the burden fallacy), presenting NOTHING of your own, No contrary logic, NOTHING.
    Why would it make sense?
    Because you say so?

    "Common sense" isn't proof.
    The common sense argument is a fallacious mental short cut.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    It's a very Plausible reason, Taking less, Much less, Leaves more.
    Income and wealth are dynamic, something you fail to note.
    Also notice your terminology, "taking."

    Does a business really "take" from people or are they trading value for value?
    You know the answer to this but you've reworded it to represent business people and the wealthy as "taking" from other people.


    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    Your continued Nonsense harassment of my posts is an issue again.
    Your Howdy-doody Empty/2c posts are a disgrace to this board especially in your position.


    It isn't harassment, it's pointing out that the emperor has no cloths.
    Your spamming the board with this constant nonsense, that has already been pointed out as nonsense, is not proof that you are right.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbig View Post
    You're ALL Spam, No facts.
    Disgraceful trash.
    All you've done is made personal attacks and attempts at character assassination.
    Deflecting your poor argument, as my fault, does not actually make your argument, not poor.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •