View Poll Results: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 66.67%
  • no

    17 25.76%
  • other

    4 6.06%
  • I do not know

    1 1.52%
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 182

Thread: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

  1. #151
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Yes
    No
    other
    I do not know

    Obama to propose new tax rate for millionaires - CNN.com
    The White House will propose a new tax rate for people earning more than $1 million a year to ensure that they pay at least the same percentage of their earnings in taxes as middle-income Americans, administration and White House officials told CNN on Sunday. Called the Buffett Rule, the proposal will be part of a comprehensive deficit reduction plan that President Barack Obama will unveil on Monday, according to a senior administration official and White House sources who spoke on condition of not being identified. The information was first reported by The New York Times.




    I pick other. I support making everyone pay he same percentage in income taxes regardless of income level and eliminating exemptions .
    You put out a poll, but do we know the details of what we are voting on? Is this a second AMT, how does it work, i.e. can the rich still donate and take it as a deduction, will municipal debt still be exempt from federal taxes, how much money will the changes raise?

  2. #152
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    The fact that computers are primarily assembled in China instead of here in the U.S. allows for far cheaper prices than they ever would have been. What is the benefit of keeping the production within the U.S. (more low skilled manufacturing positions) as opposed to the cost (less total computers used/produced) in terms of opportunity? Given that our aggregate production possibilities are fixed within relatively short increments of time (it takes time to train employees and build facilities), i find no real short or long term benefit of keeping low skilled labor here in the U.S. at the expense of high skilled labor and manufacturing.

    IMO, i would much rather our economy be centered on high tech goods and services as opposed to encouraging skill stagnation (that hinders our long term competitive advantage).
    You are assuming and I think incorrectly labor costs and not supply and demand is the prime driver of consumer price. Also, we have a diverse population, some people will be skilled and others are not. I see no reason why we can't employ unskilled labor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    To believe the entirety of that, I would have to ignore the productivity rates of American factories and how they have climbed steadily over the years, even into today.
    I'd also have to ignore that we were pretty much the only nation left standing with an intact national infrastructure and economy, after WW2 and that is largely why we retained the economic power over the globe.

    Fast forward to now, where there are multiple nations competing with from all over the globe.
    Wanting for yesterday won't change the facts that the rest of the world has grown to meet us on the economic competitors table.

    Those obscene tax rates would definitely cause significant capital flight, because there are a multitude of nations willing to house that money at much, much lower rates.
    Baloney, because of the loopholes in the tax code, no one pays anywhere the 35% corporate tax rate. I think the average is under 10%.


  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer
    You are assuming and I think incorrectly labor costs and not supply and demand is the prime driver of consumer price. Also, we have a diverse population, some people will be skilled and others are not. I see no reason why we can't employ unskilled labor.
    I do. By forcing corporations to maintain cheap unskilled labor, you're increasing the cost aggregate of products as a whole in America - not just toy trucks and metal pipes, but semiconductors and high-tech stuff. This will cause inflation rates to go up in order to support the weakest link of the chain that can be shipped elsewhere for cost minimization purposes without having adverse effects on several other sections of the economy. Many products are priced based on ratios compared against each other to determine market value - not only would a more expensive Cadillac result in more expensive Porsches, but other no-automotive luxury items as well, as a method of cost metamorphosis arising from disposable income.

    It's basically a similar explanation as to why a sizable shift in minimum wage would be detrimental to myriad economic forces.

  4. #154
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No they aren't. They're just paying less of their total income because they are better capable of finding ways to reduce their tax burden. I see nothing wrong with that, so long as the budget issue and the 51% who pay no income tax are still part of the system. In fact it's something I go out of my way to do as well; though obviously on a lesser scale.

    As for why I'd want the highest earners to pay less..... I have this hope that someday I might BE one of them.
    ...

    Of course you don't see anything wrong with it. Because really, it's just all about 'your team', and who gives a **** about anything else. gmafb
    Tiki Bar! Woot!
    Drinks are plenty, music is fine, and the company is first-rate

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Of course you don't see anything wrong with it. Because really, it's just all about 'your team', and who gives a **** about anything else. gmafb
    I don't have a team, jackalope. I AM my own team. Always have been and likely always will be. Nobody else is looking out for me, so why the hell would I be looking out for anyone else?

  6. #156
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I don't have a team, jackalope. I AM my own team. Always have been and likely always will be. Nobody else is looking out for me, so why the hell would I be looking out for anyone else?

    Sure you do. You say you're for the FAIR tax, but you're against a millionaire's minimum tax that would target a very very few people and make sure they are paying the same rate as middle income earners.

    Show's your just blowing smoke, and you're against this 'buffet rule' because the GOP is against it. You're cheering for your team.

    If you TRULY were for the FAIR tax, there would be nothing objectionable in this proposal. Sure, it might be just a small step towards parity of rates, but it is a step. Yet you're against it. You show who you are.
    Tiki Bar! Woot!
    Drinks are plenty, music is fine, and the company is first-rate

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Seems as if you're calling the kettle black. You probably denounce FAIR tax in favor of progressive taxation.

  8. #158
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Seems as if you're calling the kettle black. You probably denounce FAIR tax in favor of progressive taxation.

    What *I* think of the FAIR tax has nothing to do with Tigger's position. On the one hand, he's saying go go go FAIR tax. On the other hand he's saying it's not faaaaaaiiiiirrr to make the very wealthiest pay the same rates as middle income earners.

    It is Tigger who is being intellectually dishonest ... and showing his true colors.
    Tiki Bar! Woot!
    Drinks are plenty, music is fine, and the company is first-rate

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    Sure you do. You say you're for the FAIR tax, but you're against a millionaire's minimum tax that would target a very very few people and make sure they are paying the same rate as middle income earners.

    Show's your just blowing smoke, and you're against this 'buffet rule' because the GOP is against it. You're cheering for your team.

    If you TRULY were for the FAIR tax, there would be nothing objectionable in this proposal. Sure, it might be just a small step towards parity of rates, but it is a step. Yet you're against it. You show who you are.
    A FAIR tax system, has the same RATE for EVERYONE, on their INCOME (not their Wealth), with no deductions. That's NOT what Mr. Obama is suggesting or proposing in any way.

    LOL. I have no more love for the GOP than I do for the Democratic Party, the Libertarians, or any other political entity. So far as I'm concerned they should all be outlawed.

    Once again, this is an attempt by the party in power to equalize RESULTS more than anything else.... "Well, they're smarter than me, so they can get around these things.... SO WE SHOULD PUNISH THEM!!!!" That's all this is.

  10. #160
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should the Buffett Rule" be made law?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    A FAIR tax system, has the same RATE for EVERYONE, on their INCOME (not their Wealth), with no deductions. That's NOT what Mr. Obama is suggesting or proposing in any way.

    LOL. I have no more love for the GOP than I do for the Democratic Party, the Libertarians, or any other political entity. So far as I'm concerned they should all be outlawed.

    Once again, this is an attempt by the party in power to equalize RESULTS more than anything else.... "Well, they're smarter than me, so they can get around these things.... SO WE SHOULD PUNISH THEM!!!!" That's all this is.
    who is taxed on their wealth and not their income?

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •