View Poll Results: Should a dog owner be punished?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with jail time.

    32 31.37%
  • Yes, with a fine

    16 15.69%
  • No

    54 52.94%
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 356

Thread: Dog owner responsibility

  1. #61
    Student Chenoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Last Seen
    10-04-11 @ 05:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    273

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    #16 and it took me 2 tries to find it.

    Different article with a little info from neighbors

    "Three of us were trying to revive the kid. We were trying to find a heart beat. There were a couple of beats initially but she was gone after that."
    He said the owner of the dog had raced to the victim's home and dragged the animal home, before returning to the scene.
    He said the dog's owner was "devastated" after the attack. The animal was later removed from the premises and was put down this afternoon.


    Other neighbours said they had often heard the pit bull cross barking in the street, but few had seen the animal.

    Anisah Mama, who lives next door to the house where the dog lives, said she had been scared in the past for her two children, aged nine and 13.
    She had not seen the dog in the three years her family had been living in the home, but said they often heard barking. "Actually this dog is quite aggressive," she said.

    "While the children play they hear the dog barking and they are scared sometimes. I said 'don't worry, he's inside'."
    Answers a few questions about the owner, but not much there really. I haven't voted because I want to know all the specifics. In the panic of the moment, people do crazy things, such as the Mother running to the street for help. When I was 9 years old a neighbor had a German Shepard (ex-police dog), he'd been retired because of agression. The dog got out and attacked my friend (we were playing together in our yard), he was savaging her. My mother ran out of the house and bashed that dog in the head with a cast iron skillet a couple of times. I'm surprised the dog remained conscious, but he did. He staggered away. The neighbor shot the dog with his service revolver immediately (he'd heard the screaming and rushed outside, yes he was a cop). All of this happened within 3 minutes or so. My friend needed 88 stitches in her legs. This dog had jumped a 6ft wooden privacy fence, his owner had no idea he was loose, and he was devastated by my friends injuries. Lucky he was there to help stop the bleeding.

    I've completely lost the plot (of the story I'm telling). I think I was trying to make the dual points that dog attacks happen, sometimes they're accidental (sometimes not) and punishment should wait until we know all of the facts.
    I love how, in scary movies, the person yells out, "Hello?" As if the bad guy is gonna be like, "Yeah, I'm in the kitchen! Want a sandwich?"

  2. #62
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    California is a leash-law state, which means that if a dog gets loose for any reason and causes harm, the owner is responsible. The extent of responsibility depends upon circumstances. For example, if the small 3-1/2 foot fence at the link was supposed to keep the animal contained, it is grossly inadequate. The owner's criminal liability would be increased, unless he had a secondary containment area, such as a sturdy chain or a high, chain-link kennel. If the safeguards on the owner's property appear to be adequate and the dog had never before escaped, the owner would be fined and would be civilly liable for all medical bills and probably punative damages, unless he could mitigate his liability by showing that someone in the victim's house had negligently opened the door.

    If this dog had any other complaints against it, the owner would no doubt be charged criminally and civilly, and would serve jail time if convicted. In both instances the animal would be euthanized.

    There are too many unanswered questions and variables about this particular incident. So very, very tragic.

  3. #63
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You constantly re-interpret the things I post or make assumptions about what I believe and then use them in the debate as if I actually said, thought, or expressed those things.
    Nonsense. All i do is take people's faulty reasoning to its final conclusion. It's called logic. I have never claimed to know your thoughts. And i'm glad that I don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    That is poor debating.
    What is poor debating is your tactic of making claims, and then trying to weasel your way out of them. And you have a habit of bringing up unrelated topics and acting as if they are somehow relevant to a specific topic. Like the crap you wrote about wild animals. Complete nonsense. It's hard to even contemplate that people believe that ****.

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I'm not dishonest just because you cannot comprehend that what I say is what I mean. I don't hide hidden meanings or speak in bull**** terms to get a point across.


    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    If you would debate honestly and take what people say at face value instead of over-reacting and putting forth wild mis-representations of what people say there wouldn't be an issue at all.So maybe next time instead of flying off the handle and going after what people didn't say you could try asking for clarification or addressing what they did say.
    As I have said, taking your faulty reasoning to its final conclusion is hardly a "misrepresentation."

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    The bolded is exactly why you can't have a genuine debate. You don't get it, so you just assume that the other person is illogical, mocking, or presenting an invalid argument. Disagreement does not a strawman make.
    BS. No one has bothered to explain how leaving a door open could be relevant to this current discussion if not to cast doubt on who is responsible. And yes, the dog owner is most certainly responsible.
    Last edited by Alyssa; 09-16-11 at 08:51 PM.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #64
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    She had not seen the dog in the three years her family had been living in the home, but said they often heard barking. "Actually this dog is quite aggressive," she said.
    had never seen the dog. but she knows it is quite aggressive simply because she heard it barking?

    like dogs never bark for any other reason
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #65
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post


    As I have said, taking your faulty reasoning to its final conclusion is hardly a "misrepresentation."
    .
    actually it is. simply because you assume what the final conclusion is.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    20-30 fatalities (assuming that they were correctly identified as pits) a year in this country for 4.5 million known registered pitbull type breeds means that the animal is very safe. Percentage wise that is 0.0006666666666666666 according to this . If a dog is vicious it is because the owner made it that way not because of some stereotypes or wives tales people believe about some breeds.

    Can you find the pitbull?
    Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull


    How many Pit Bulls and Rottweilers are in America? - Yahoo! Answers
    Give it up...I cannot be persuaded. I don't think pitts are suitable for pet ownership but if a person is foolish enough to do so, the owe a duty to the humans around them to make SURE that animal never injures anyone.

    There are breeds of dogs and hybrids I would outlaw altogether -- pitts are one.

  7. #67
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Give it up...I cannot be persuaded. I don't think pitts are suitable for pet ownership but if a person is foolish enough to do so, the owe a duty to the humans around them to make SURE that animal never injures anyone.

    There are breeds of dogs and hybrids I would outlaw altogether -- pitts are one.
    there are breeds of people and hybrids that I would outlaw altogether. good thing you and I are not in charge
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #68
    User lardbeetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-09-11 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    140

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    I voted for jail time. I'm no fan of the pit bull, and IMO, if people insist on owning one, they need to be strictly liable for keeping it under control.

    That poor family; they had just lost their home a month before in a fire, or none of them would have been there.
    Spoken like someone with no exposure to pitties.

  9. #69
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    who knows, the neighbors could've been taunting the dog for months and when it got the chance it took revenge. many years ago, we had a dog that was on a chain in our yard. one of the nighborhood brats liked to ride his bike by the yard and throw rocks at our dog. one day, he got a little too close and SURPRISE, SURPRISE our dog knocked him off his bike. Had my father not been outside, the dog probably would've chewed the kid up.


    point being... there are too many unknowns in this story to knee-jerk squeal "throw the owner in jail".
    Oscar, I said each case has to be investigated on its merits...in florida theres many pitbull breeders...constant reports of pitbulls running loose ripping people and other pets up.
    Just recently a guy went out in the morning to get his paper in his mailbox two pits running loose attacked him...the attack went on long enough for his wife to hear his screams and call 911 AND when the deputies got there the dogs were still at him...the dogs turned on the deputies and they shot them dead....
    The news report said the owners had been cited on a few occaisons and warned about the dogs running loose...this happens to damn much and the only way to try and stop it is alot harsher penalties...and again...I said each case needs to be investigated on its merits.

  10. #70
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Give it up...I cannot be persuaded. I don't think pitts are suitable for pet ownership but if a person is foolish enough to do so, the owe a duty to the humans around them to make SURE that animal never injures anyone.

    There are breeds of dogs and hybrids I would outlaw altogether -- pitts are one.
    You would ban something that has a % 0.0006666666666666666 of killing someone?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •