View Poll Results: Should a dog owner be punished?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with jail time.

    32 31.37%
  • Yes, with a fine

    16 15.69%
  • No

    54 52.94%
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 356

Thread: Dog owner responsibility

  1. #41
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    exactly. if this had been a wild animal instead of a neighboring pet, would people be screaming for mother nature to be thrown in jail?
    That is plain stupid. Why are people arguing with such dumb ass red herrings?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #42
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Jailtime if theres a pattern of it...each case has to be investigated....you dont want to put a responsible dog owner in prison for a first time offense when the dog gets away from him/her one time....so each case on its merits. Here in florida damn near every day a pitbull or two or three in a pack attack someone...its time irresponsible dog owners pay the piper and not the victims

  3. #43
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    So you are, in fact, saying that it was the parent's fault for having their door open. And no-who to blame is VERY relevant.



    What, carelessness? The dog's owner WAS careless and a child died because of it. You are arguing about something that did not take place. therefore it IS a straw man.
    You know, I don't know why you even bother to debate if you're going to be blatantly dishonest about context, your influence on the path of discussion, or the topic in general whenever somebody doesn't fit into your little self-righteous bubble of correctness.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #44
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    That is plain stupid. Why are people arguing with such dumb ass red herrings?
    why? if everything else remains the same and instead of the neighbors dog, it is a stray dog or wild animal that comes into the house and kills the kid...who do you blame then?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #45
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Jailtime if theres a pattern of it...each case has to be investigated....you dont want to put a responsible dog owner in prison for a first time offense when the dog gets away from him/her one time....so each case on its merits. Here in florida damn near every day a pitbull or two or three in a pack attack someone...its time irresponsible dog owners pay the piper and not the victims
    who knows, the neighbors could've been taunting the dog for months and when it got the chance it took revenge. many years ago, we had a dog that was on a chain in our yard. one of the nighborhood brats liked to ride his bike by the yard and throw rocks at our dog. one day, he got a little too close and SURPRISE, SURPRISE our dog knocked him off his bike. Had my father not been outside, the dog probably would've chewed the kid up.


    point being... there are too many unknowns in this story to knee-jerk squeal "throw the owner in jail".
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #46
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You know, I don't know why you even bother to debate if you're going to be blatantly dishonest about context, your influence on the path of discussion, or the topic in general whenever somebody doesn't fit into your little self-righteous bubble of correctness.
    If all you're going to do is accuse me of dishonesty, go ahead and put me on ignore. Please. Because I am tired of people like you being dishonest about what it is they are saying, and then turning around and accusing me of dishonesty. He brought up the open door-not me. I mentioned carelessness-true-but I can't see how any logical person could ever connect carelessness with someone who happens to have their door open while they are in a room in THEIR OWN house. So what now? Everyone should never have a door open because a vicious dog might come in a rip them to pieces? We're not talking about wild animals. THAT is NOT the discussion we are having here. The odds of a wild animal running into someone's house is unlikely, (much less viciously attacking and killing someone), and it isn't the topic of this thread. Furthermore, an adult was present with the children in question, so we are also not discussing neglect or carelessness on their part.

    And it's pathetic that you are accusing me of self righteousness. Please kindly keep your ad homs, red herrings, and straw men to yourself. Or put me on ignore. Whatever.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #47
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    If all you're going to do is accuse me of dishonesty, go ahead and put me on ignore. Please. Because I am tired of people like you being dishonest about what it is they are saying, and then turning around and accusing me of dishonesty. He brought up the open door-not me. I mentioned carelessness-true-but I can't see how any logical person could ever connect carelessness with someone who happens to have their door open while they are in a room in THEIR OWN house. So what now? Everyone should never have a door open because a vicious dog might come in a rip them to pieces? We're not talking about wild animals. THAT is NOT the discussion we are having here. The odds of a wild animal running into someone's house is unlikely, (much less viciously attacking and killing someone), and it isn't the topic of this thread. Furthermore, an adult was present with the children in question, so we are also not discussing neglect or carelessness on their part.

    And it's pathetic that you are accusing me of self righteousness. Please kindly keep your ad homs, red herrings, and straw men to yourself. Or put me on ignore. Whatever.
    You constantly re-interpret the things I post or make assumptions about what I believe and then use them in the debate as if I actually said, thought, or expressed those things. That is poor debating. I'm not dishonest just because you cannot comprehend that what I say is what I mean. I don't hide hidden meanings or speak in bull**** terms to get a point across.

    If you would debate honestly and take what people say at face value instead of over-reacting and putting forth wild mis-representations of what people say there wouldn't be an issue at all.

    So maybe next time instead of flying off the handle and going after what people didn't say you could try asking for clarification or addressing what they did say.

    The bolded is exactly why you can't have a genuine debate. You don't get it, so you just assume that the other person is illogical, mocking, or presenting an invalid argument. Disagreement does not a strawman make.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  8. #48
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Furthermore, an adult was present with the children in question, so we are also not discussing neglect or carelessness on their part.

    .
    really? how about an adult who is present in a car and a kid falls out because the parent didn't lock the door or ensure the kid was in a child restraint? merely "being there" doesn't mean you are not careless.


    they could have been smoking a crack pipe in the back room for all you know.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #49
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    You constantly re-interpret the things I post or make assumptions about what I believe and then use them in the debate as if I actually said, thought, or expressed those things. That is poor debating. .
    THAT is a strawman. maybe evanescence will actually read it and stop using the term incorrectly.

    A straw man is a component of an argument and is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    As others have said, it all depends on the circumstances involved in the incident.

    And, yes, I have children. Dogs aren't actually allowed in my neighborhood, but living on the very end of housing, there are houses just on the other side of the street that are not part of the military housing that could have animals. I would not leave my doors/windows open normally. We have a wood privacy fence (at least 6 ft) surrounding our back yard. If a pet of someone's were to come over that fence and hurt one of my children, I'd be wondering what made that person's animal go to such trouble to get at my children. I would insist that everything be looked into, including how the dog/animal was treated by the owner and what the dog's/animal's history of attacks (if any) is.

    I am a big believer in finding out the reasoning and all circumstances of a situation before insisting that someone be charged with a crime.
    Not me. If your dog -- especially a pit bull -- killed my baby in my house, I'd be likely to kill YOU.

    I'd sure as hell kill that dog.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •