View Poll Results: Should a dog owner be punished?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with jail time.

    32 31.37%
  • Yes, with a fine

    16 15.69%
  • No

    54 52.94%
Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 356

Thread: Dog owner responsibility

  1. #311
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I'm going to go on further, whenever I am walking my dog on a leash, when I approach anyone with a dog, I say, "My dog is not friendly", if dog is not on leash, "My dog is not friendly I suggest you put your dog on a leash." I then take my dog off the trail several feet and make him sit and wait as the other dog passes. The scenario I"m describing about said Chihuahua is where my dog is sitting on the side of the trail and the off leash offender runs up and starts sniffing my dog, which my dog then attacks. I have given fair warning to the dog owner, they refused to train their dog correctly, and I even took my dog out of the way so they could walk clear by us.
    You are good to go and not liable. Although, of course, that doesn't preclude a lawsuit one must remember.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #312
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You are good to go and not liable. Although, of course, that doesn't preclude a lawsuit one must remember.
    Yeah, they would lose the lawsuit though. I'm being a responsible dog owner. A person with their dog off leash is a irresponsible dog owner. (BTW, I actually do the steps above and the scenario I mentioned happened. They were all "Oh, well my dog's friendly.")

  3. #313
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I think you are a dog trainer, not for your education but for your hard hardheadedness. I say this only because I have hired a few and they all have their "style" which they do not stray from. So do you not think all dogs should be leashed at all times while outdoors? Would this not solve all outdoor incidents?



    That is wrong, NC law says nothing of the sort. Source, I'm currently going through this.
    1) All aggressive dogs should be muzzled when outside.

    2) You are confusing the leash laws with the laws that say you are liable if your dog bites someone. The former apply whether or not your dog is aggressive or attacks someone or something. The latter apply if your dog does attack someone or another animal. Under the law, the fact that your dog harmed someone is considered proof positive that you did not have your dog "under control". As a result, you will be held liable for any damage

    If your dog attacks another, unleashed, dog, and that dogs owner intervenes to try to stop the attack, your dog may bite that person. If your (leashed) dog bites someone, you won't get a fine for having an unleashed dog, but you can be sued (and lose) because you will be held responsible for the harm done to the other dogs' owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #314
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I'm going to go on further, whenever I am walking my dog on a leash, when I approach anyone with a dog, I say, "My dog is not friendly", if dog is not on leash, "My dog is not friendly I suggest you put your dog on a leash." I then take my dog off the trail several feet and make him sit and wait as the other dog passes. The scenario I"m describing about said Chihuahua is where my dog is sitting on the side of the trail and the off leash offender runs up and starts sniffing my dog, which my dog then attacks. I have given fair warning to the dog owner, they refused to train their dog correctly, and I even took my dog out of the way so they could walk clear by us.
    Fair warning is nice for you to do, but it doesn't relieve you of liability should your dog bite the other dogs owner (ex if the owner tries to break up the fight) You should muzzle your dog

    Training your Dog to Wear a Dog Muzzle
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #315
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Fair warning is nice for you to do, but it doesn't relieve you of liability should your dog bite the other dogs owner (ex if the owner tries to break up the fight) You should muzzle your dog

    Training your Dog to Wear a Dog Muzzle
    I'll take liability on that one, I'm not training my dog to wear a muzzle. I love my dog, I love his freedom, and I love him on walks. Why should I have to suffer because some idiot can't use a leash? I personally will take the misdemeanor.

  6. #316
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Fair warning is nice for you to do, but it doesn't relieve you of liability should your dog bite the other dogs owner (ex if the owner tries to break up the fight) You should muzzle your dog

    Training your Dog to Wear a Dog Muzzle
    In most cases, he would not be held liable. His dog is under his control; the other dog is off-leash and, quite obviously, not under its owner's control. However, this does not relieve him from the moral responsibility of muzzling his dog if his dog is vicious toward other animals. That's just the right thing to do.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #317
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In most cases, he would not be held liable. His dog is under his control; the other dog is off-leash and, quite obviously, not under its owner's control. However, this does not relieve him from the moral responsibility of muzzling his dog if his dog is vicious toward other animals. That's just the right thing to do.
    My dog can't attack any other dog unless their dog is off leash.

  8. #318
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Yeah, they would lose the lawsuit though. I'm being a responsible dog owner. A person with their dog off leash is a irresponsible dog owner. (BTW, I actually do the steps above and the scenario I mentioned happened. They were all "Oh, well my dog's friendly.")
    Going to add here what my dog trainer told me to do, carry mace.

  9. #319
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I'll take liability on that one, I'm not training my dog to wear a muzzle. I love my dog, I love his freedom, and I love him on walks. Why should I have to suffer because some idiot can't use a leash? I personally will take the misdemeanor.
    Properly trained, most dogs won't mind a muzzle. In fact, may will eventually respond positively to a muzzle because they learn it means "We're going for a walk!!"

    Get a "basket muzzle". They don't restrict the dogs ability to breathe and are more comfortable.


    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    In most cases, he would not be held liable. His dog is under his control; the other dog is off-leash and, quite obviously, not under its owner's control. However, this does not relieve him from the moral responsibility of muzzling his dog if his dog is vicious toward other animals. That's just the right thing to do.
    "Leash laws" are different than "dangerous dog" laws. Under the latter, which are applicable under NC law (where jryan lives), any dog that bites a person, leashed or not, is considered a dangerous dog and the owner is liable for the damage. He won't get a fine for not having his dog leashed, but he will be held liable for the damage his dog does.

    unleashed dog = fine imposed by the govt for breaking the law
    dog bite = liability in a civil suit (a tort) brought by a private party

    The rules are different for both
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #320
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    My dog can't attack any other dog unless their dog is off leash.
    If the other dogs owner gets in the middle of the fight, and your dog attacks that person, you can be held liable, leash or not

    You wont get a fine for having an unleashed dog (the other owner might) but you may have to pay their medical bills.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •