View Poll Results: Should a dog owner be punished?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with jail time.

    32 31.37%
  • Yes, with a fine

    16 15.69%
  • No

    54 52.94%
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 356

Thread: Dog owner responsibility

  1. #191
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    First off, this dog was "part pit bull terrier". Funny how they don't mention what the other parts were. The sensationalistic media isn't interested in golden retriever attacks.

    Secondly, the worst thing you can do is run from a dog you think may be aggressive. You should stand still. Any movement may trigger the dog's prey drive or be seen as threatening to the dog.

    Lastly, unless the dog's owner sent the dog out to attack, they should not serve jail time. I think fines should suffice. No one owns a dog with the intent of the dog killing children.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #192
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    First off, this dog was "part pit bull terrier". Funny how they don't mention what the other parts were. The sensationalistic media isn't interested in golden retriever attacks.

    Secondly, the worst thing you can do is run from a dog you think may be aggressive. You should stand still. Any movement may trigger the dog's prey drive or be seen as threatening to the dog.

    Lastly, unless the dog's owner sent the dog out to attack, they should not serve jail time. I think fines should suffice. No one owns a dog with the intent of the dog killing children.
    I sorta' understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure why anyone has a responsibility to know how to act around your dog? Do you know how to act around my crocodile? He's very friendly to my family ...

    And, I'm also not sure why jailtime would have to only occur if someone intended to cause others suffering. Do you think that drunk drivers should only be guilty of a crime only if they intended to drive into someone? People should really know how to react to a drunk driver.

    Should an arson only serve time if they deliberately set a person on fire or is setting the fire enough if it causes someone to burn? Stop, drop, and roll you fool!

    I got thrown out of a bar one night, so I went out to my car, got my gun, and fired it into the front door in protest - I wasn't aiming for anyone, it just hit them. Man am I sorry - how about I buy a round for everyone?

    If you'll look at a previous post of mine you'll see I'm not against dogs at all. But, all punishment should be on the table and distributed justly. Dogs are not a necessity - you don't have to have one. And, yes, I think if it can be proved that a certain breed is more likely to cause injury to people, the owner should be held to a higher standard of accountability. If you have a toy poodle and I have a mountain lion and they both attack someone - yours gets laughed at and mine kills its victim, I deserve a much harsher punishment. Afterall, I knew my mountain lion was more dangerous than your toy poodle when I decided to get it.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  3. #193
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think having a dog is for some a necessity.

  4. #194
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    I sorta' understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure why anyone has a responsibility to know how to act around your dog? Do you know how to act around my crocodile? He's very friendly to my family ...
    I'm not trying to shift blame to the victim. I'm just educating people on what they should do when they encounter a dog that is aggressive. It may help keep them from being attacked. If there is a way to prevent an attack wouldn't you want to know how?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    And, I'm also not sure why jailtime would have to only occur if someone intended to cause others suffering. Do you think that drunk drivers should only be guilty of a crime only if they intended to drive into someone? People should really know how to react to a drunk driver.
    Owning a dog is not like making a decision to drive under the influence of alcohol.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Should an arson only serve time if they deliberately set a person on fire or is setting the fire enough if it causes someone to burn? Stop, drop, and roll you fool!
    Owning a dog is not like committing arson.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    I got thrown out of a bar one night, so I went out to my car, got my gun, and fired it into the front door in protest - I wasn't aiming for anyone, it just hit them. Man am I sorry - how about I buy a round for everyone?
    Owning a dog is not like illegally firing a gun into a bar.

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    If you'll look at a previous post of mine you'll see I'm not against dogs at all. But, all punishment should be on the table and distributed justly. Dogs are not a necessity - you don't have to have one. And, yes, I think if it can be proved that a certain breed is more likely to cause injury to people, the owner should be held to a higher standard of accountability. If you have a toy poodle and I have a mountain lion and they both attack someone - yours gets laughed at and mine kills its victim, I deserve a much harsher punishment. Afterall, I knew my mountain lion was more dangerous than your toy poodle when I decided to get it.
    Dogs are domesticated animals. They are not like crocodiles or mountain lions. The fear of them is due to media sensationalism. It's an incredibly small minority that cause this hysteria. People should not expect their dogs to go next door and kill a child. That's why as long as the owner took reasonable measures to contain their dog, this is not negligence. Sometimes dogs do get out and alterations to structures need to be made. Unless the owner fails to make necessary alterations, I don't see it as negligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #195
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you. I think having a dog is for some a necessity.
    Pit bulls make great service dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    They do? What "service" would this be?

  7. #197
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    They do? What "service" would this be?
    Service dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  8. #198
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,909

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    I know what a service dog is. I've never seen a pit in service, though, only German shepherds.

  9. #199
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I know what a service dog is. I've never seen a pit in service, though, only German shepherds.
    Cesar Milan and Shorty Rossi both have pit bulls that are service dog certified.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  10. #200
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I know what a service dog is. I've never seen a pit in service, though, only German shepherds.
    Cesar Milan and Shorty Rossi both have pit bulls that are service dog certified.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •