View Poll Results: Should a dog owner be punished?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, with jail time.

    32 31.37%
  • Yes, with a fine

    16 15.69%
  • No

    54 52.94%
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 356

Thread: Dog owner responsibility

  1. #151
    Guru
    Councilman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Riverside, County, CA.
    Last Seen
    11-04-11 @ 10:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,454
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Few people realize that dogs of any type are about one click away of going bug nuts. Even Poodles bite a lot of people.

    The more "pure" the blood line the more likely they are to have problems.

    I once had two dogs who were half Pit Bulls but they were afraid of their own shadows, and never had a chance to go nuts, before I got rid of them.

    I will never have another dog, even though I have had dogs from the time I was 5, and I can't stand cats because they have an attitude.

    If you can't control your dog 100% you are responsible for what ever that dog does.

    I say hit the owner where it hurts.

    Dog owner responsibility-vicious-poodle-jpg


    http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/canine-homicides-the-dog-bite-epidemic-do-not-confuse-them.html

    There have been many news reports about deaths caused by dogs in the USA. The attention given to the homicides has put the spotlight on pit bulls and Rottweilers. There is a very good reason for focusing on these two breeds: in recent years, they have usually been the number one and number two canine killers of humans.

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    because the owner is responsible for the dog's actions. At the very least, the owner needs to be charged with negligence.
    And you say that you're trying to be logical? Going by your logic here then a parent should be held responsible and charged for negligence for thier child jumping off mid swing on a swing set at school and breaking thier leg in the process despite you telling them not to do so. Accidents happen. You cannot control every single little thing. Sure you can do your best and try and account for everything..but it is impossible to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    There are three options to choose from concerning Oscar's original statement about the open door. All three were logical conclusions. But I noticed that no one bothered to address those. If you actually read through the thread instead of making drive by posts, you might have noticed. I don't really care either way. I have grown weary of people's dishonesty.
    See, you make an assumption here. One that was already disproved by the very post that you respond to here in your post. Heck, you even bolded it. Don't you think that the sentence you bolded implies that I HAVE read this thread? Don't you think it's kind of odd that I would make such a post without having read the thread? Kind of hard to make such a post if I didn't know what people had talked about in this thread...don't you think?

    Also your "logical conclusions" failed to account for the fact that Oscar was not trying to place blame or absolve blame. It was a tangent question that he posed, nothing more. Which is also why your 3 conclusions were and are being ignored.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #153
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Except poverty, I guess. But if someone's dog kills a four year old, permanently injures another child, and an adult- you're like: oh well. That's not the dog owner's fault. It was beyond his control Bull ****. If someone's dog kills my kid, I will kill their dog and forcefully feed them its intestines. **** that "it's not his fault" bs.
    And you would definitly deserve prison time for such actions.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I don't care if the damn thing was contained for 3 years. It got out. It killed a child. End of story. Case ****ing closed. He is liable.
    So i'm sure that you'll accept responsibility for your kid (assuming you have one or will have one eventually of course) if your child plays with a gun and shoots the neighbor kid. After all, you are responsible for your child....
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #154
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,075

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And you say that you're trying to be logical? Going by your logic here then a parent should be held responsible and charged for negligence for thier child jumping off mid swing on a swing set at school and breaking thier leg in the process despite you telling them not to do so. Accidents happen. You cannot control every single little thing. Sure you can do your best and try and account for everything..but it is impossible to do so.
    That is not even comparable.When the child is at school then the child is in the care of that school not the parent and is not a child running around loose. So anything that happens to the child at school is the responsibility of the school. A child running loose in the neighborhood is the responsibility of the parent and if that child is caught vandalizing any property then it is the parent that pays for that just as a dog running loose around a neighborhood attacks someone then the owner is responsible.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #155
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    That is not even comparable.When the child is at school then the child is in the care of that school not the parent and is not a child running around loose. So anything that happens to the child at school is the responsibility of the school. A child running loose in the neighborhood is the responsibility of the parent and if that child is caught vandalizing any property then it is the parent that pays for that just as a dog running loose around a neighborhood attacks someone then the owner is responsible.
    I'm just going by evanescence's logic. According to her the owner (parent) is fully responsible for the dogs (childs) actions for reasons of security and training. IE there is no excuse valid enough for her to not accept that the dog owner (parent) is not always responsible for the actions of the dog (child). That is the comparison that I am making. The child could just as easily have broken his/her leg in the park with the parents right there. Be it by simply running or in a swing set. With this in mind according to evanescence the parent should be jailed for neglect.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #156
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    such as leaving your door open?


    not, in any way, trying to absolve the dog owner of responsibility. just sayin....if the house had been secure, the dog would not have been able to just "run in" and attack anyone. I live in the boonies and always make sure the doors and windows are secure, don't want any stray critters getting in.
    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Seriously? It's their fault that their child died because they left a door open on THEIR property? god damn.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    that's not what I said. knee-jerk much?
    According to Oscar's statement, because the door was left open, the child was attacked.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    You clearly said that if the people had not left their door open, the dog wouldn't have been able to attack. Yeah, so? What's the point of that statement? The dog was on their property, unleashed and out of control. Thus THE OWNER is completely responsible for its actions. Case closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    you are the one who brought up carelessness. who is to blame is irrelevent. it is careless to leave your dwelling unsecured, for a variety of reasons.
    Who is to blame is relevant. Someone has to be responsible for this horrific death.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    So you are, in fact, saying that it was the parent's fault for having their door open. And no-who to blame is VERY relevant.
    If this isn’t the case, why bring up their so called carelessness in the first place?

    Am I careless when I leave my front door opened in order to carry in groceries from the car? What if one of the neighbors Dobermans got loose, ran into my house attacking me or my kids? -is that my fault because I was careless? Let me guess-**** happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    no, it was the dog's fault. however, the parent was careless for having their door open so any pet, wild animal, criminal off the street, etc could just walk in. there is a difference
    No, it wasn’t the dog’s fault. The dog is an animal, and therefore cannot be at fault for its actions.



    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    also, there is no way of knowing from the info in the article whether or not the dog's owner was careless. you just assume it to be so. you have no idea what measures the owner had taken to secure the dog.
    I don’t care if they did everything right up until the very day the dog got loose and killed the child. The owner is still responsible. A little girl died a horrific death. Dogs don’t just bite the jugular. They rip their prey apart. You’re alive when they begin to eat you.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    really? how about an adult who is present in a car and a kid falls out because the parent didn't lock the door or ensure the kid was in a child restraint? merely "being there" doesn't mean you are not careless.


    they could have been smoking a crack pipe in the back room for all you know.
    I can’t believe people approach this type of situation with this sort of reasoning. Not locking a kid into a car seat, or smoking a crack pipe has nothing to do with this situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    No. people make statements and then refuse to take those statements to a logical conclusion. For example, mentioning the open door: here are the logical conclusions to why you brought that up. Either one, you are partially blaming the parents for the attack on their children; or you are absolving the dog owner of responsibility for the attack. The only other possibility is that no one is to blame. All three conclusions are incorrect. And ignorant.
    So which is it?

    1.) The dog owner is completely innocent, and should face no charges.

    2.) The parents are to blame for their carelessness, because after all, they shouldn’t have left their door open.

    Or is it:

    “ **** happens.”


    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And you say that you're trying to be logical? Going by your logic here then a parent should be held responsible and charged for negligence for thier child jumping off mid swing on a swing set at school and breaking thier leg in the process despite you telling them not to do so.
    What a load of crap. How do those situations even compare? A child jumps off a swing and breaks her leg. A child is ripped to pieces by the neighbor’s dog in her own house.

    Don’t compare that nonsense to my logic. It’s not even close.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Accidents happen. You cannot control every single little thing. Sure you can do your best and try and account for everything..but it is impossible to do so.
    And people pay for their mistakes. If I accidentally hit someone else’s car, I am not responsible? Of course I am. It may have been completely unintentional. It may have even been beyond my control. There is still fault. And there are still consequences.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    See, you make an assumption here. One that was already disproved by the very post that you respond to here in your post. Heck, you even bolded it. Don't you think that the sentence you bolded implies that I HAVE read this thread? Don't you think it's kind of odd that I would make such a post without having read the thread? Kind of hard to make such a post if I didn't know what people had talked about in this thread...don't you think?
    No one has disproved a single thing I have said in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Also your "logical conclusions" failed to account for the fact that Oscar was not trying to place blame or absolve blame. It was a tangent question that he posed, nothing more. Which is also why your 3 conclusions were and are being ignored.
    When one claims that someone was being careless, and that carelessness caused the negative result: they are, indeed, placing blame. Try to “semantics” your way out of that one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    And you would definitly deserve prison time for such actions.
    I would gladly take prison time. My life would be worthless without them anyhow.


    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    So i'm sure that you'll accept responsibility for your kid (assuming you have one or will have one eventually of course) if your child plays with a gun and shoots the neighbor kid. After all, you are responsible for your child....
    Yes, I would. Absolutely.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #157
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I'm just going by evanescence's logic. According to her the owner (parent) is fully responsible for the dogs (childs) actions for reasons of security and training. IE there is no excuse valid enough for her to not accept that the dog owner (parent) is not always responsible for the actions of the dog (child). That is the comparison that I am making. The child could just as easily have broken his/her leg in the park with the parents right there. Be it by simply running or in a swing set. With this in mind according to evanescence the parent should be jailed for neglect.
    Are being willfully illogical? or is this normal for you?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  8. #158
    User lardbeetle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-09-11 @ 03:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    140

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Few people realize that dogs of any type are about one click away of going bug nuts. Even Poodles bite a lot of people.

    The more "pure" the blood line the more likely they are to have problems.

    I once had two dogs who were half Pit Bulls but they were afraid of their own shadows, and never had a chance to go nuts, before I got rid of them.

    I will never have another dog, even though I have had dogs from the time I was 5, and I can't stand cats because they have an attitude.

    If you can't control your dog 100% you are responsible for what ever that dog does.

    I say hit the owner where it hurts.

    Dog owner responsibility-vicious-poodle-jpg


    http://dogbitelaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/canine-homicides-the-dog-bite-epidemic-do-not-confuse-them.html
    If by one "step" you mean one round of intense torture, then sure. I really, really doubt that my dog may randomly snap one day and attack me. That's ridiculous.

  9. #159
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,940

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by Councilman View Post
    Few people realize that dogs of any type are about one click away of going bug nuts. Even Poodles bite a lot of people.

    The more "pure" the blood line the more likely they are to have problems.
    Pitbulls' jaws make them different, IMO.

    I have myself seen grown men kicking at one's jaws, some wearing steel-toed boots, but the dog didn't let go of the calf. When a pit "gets this way," only a bullet will stop it. And generally not just one. I have also seen this for myself.

    It's not the dog's fault; it's the breeding. Members of my family own them, and every pit I've known personally, I've loved. They can be wonderful dogs. But they are what they are. And there is a reason why in my town, most landlords won't even rent to pitbull owners.

  10. #160
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Dog owner responsibility

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    According to Oscar's statement, because the door was left open, the child was attacked. .
    simple question, yes or no: If the door had been closed would the dog have gotten into the house?
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •