View Poll Results: Should the U.S. start controlling our population?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    93 65.96%
  • No

    48 34.04%
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 314

Thread: Population Control

  1. #241
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Population control is morally wrong. You are stepping on the human right of reproduction which should not be allowed in a free society.
    I would counter with...having kids you cannot support is morally wrong.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #242
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    and those demographics will remain relative. our poor live better lives than the top 1% of the past, and in the future people will look back on us and consider us dirty and impoverished.
    I disagree that the poor live better than the top 1% of the past. Other than that, thumbsup.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  3. #243
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    of course they do, or didn't you get the memo that we are all created equal. if that is the case, the obviously being stupid is a choice. otherwise everyone would be stupid.
    Oh, so now geniuses are just as smart as the average joe?
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  4. #244
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I disagree that the poor live better than the top 1% of the past. Other than that, thumbsup.
    I have been all around the world. I can guarantee that "the poor" in the US live better than the vast majority of people in other parts of the planet.

    as to the past...even the richest people in the 1700s didn't have air conditioning, refrigeration, running water, etc, etc, etc. so in that sense the poor do live better than the top 1% of the past.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #245
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Population Control

    as to the past...even the richest people in the 1700s didn't have air conditioning, refrigeration, running water, etc, etc, etc. so in that sense the poor do live better than the top 1% of the past.
    Ah, I guess I forgot about good old technopoly.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  6. #246
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    Oh, so now geniuses are just as smart as the average joe?
    yeah, some people are born with the potential to be smarter than others. but unless you are a retard (and in that case we should help them because it is not their fault) your level of effort usually defines how "smart" you become.


    there is a difference between being retarded and being stupid.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #247
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah, some people are born with the potential to be smarter than others. but unless you are a retard (and in that case we should help them because it is not their fault) your level of effort usually defines how "smart" you become.


    there is a difference between being retarded and being stupid.
    So we should punish adults for stuff they did as a child? BTW, we are now moving on to a more philosophical point here. The system is flawed.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  8. #248
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by Jryan View Post
    I disagree that the poor live better than the top 1% of the past.
    I would love to see your depiction of the top 1% of 13th century Germany who had clean running water, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, automobiles, access to clean surgical care if necessary, and immunizations? for that matter, I would love to see your depiction of any top 1% prior to the 18th century who had anything approachinga child mortality rate as low as our poors'? then we'll talk about the likelihood of death from invasion by marauders (oh yes, violent death is way down, even among the poor - those freakonomics guys study the most interesting things), by plague, and so on and so forth.[

    Other than that, thumbsup.
    the overpopulation bogeyman is no different from the new global ice age bogeyman, the ocean acidification bogeyman, the holes in the ozone going to kill us all bogeyman, or the global warming bogeyman. they're all just abuses of carefully selected statistics in order to justify the seizing of immense power by a self-selected elite.
    Last edited by cpwill; 11-07-11 at 10:45 AM.

  9. #249
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I would love to see your depiction of the top 1% of 13th century Germany who had clean running water, indoor plumbing, air conditioning, automobiles, access to clean surgical care if necessary, and immunizations? for that matter, I would love to see your depiction of any top 1% prior to the 18th century who had anything approachinga child mortality rate as low as our poors'? then we'll talk about the likelihood of death from invasion by marauders (oh yes, violent death is way down, even among the poor - those freakonomics guys study the most interesting things), by plague, and so on and so forth.
    Ah, I guess I forgot about good old technopoly.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  10. #250
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Population Control

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    of course they do, or didn't you get the memo that we are all created equal. if that is the case, the obviously being stupid is a choice. otherwise everyone would be stupid.
    Everyone is created equal in the eyes of God. And the Law. Beyond that everyone is different.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •