View Poll Results: Do you think socialism could have succeeded if capitalism wasn't standing on the way?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't know

    3 2.88%
  • Don't care

    3 2.88%
  • Absolutely

    10 9.62%
  • I think it could

    16 15.38%
  • I think it couldn't

    17 16.35%
  • No way

    55 52.88%
Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 502

Thread: Socialism could have succeeded?

  1. #451
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker
    In a capitalism system - when we help others - what we try to do is give them the means to make something of their selves: educational support, temporary assistance, assistance finding jobs, quitting bad habits and other things that will hold them back.
    Well spikey, socialism does that too. Just think of it like a whole bunch of your friends going out to Applebee's. One orders an appetizer of chicken wings and potato skins. One orders the 16 ounce steak for dinner. Another orders 3 or 4 pina coladas.

    When the waitress comes around at the end, everyone says one check. Oh, and one person forgot their wallet at home.

    It's great and all, except the person who just got the salad and an ice water is getting jobbed over pretty damn hard. They have to subsidize appetizers, steak, drinks, and a forgotten wallet.

    Socialism can only exist as long as the salad and ice water doesn't mind being exploited in order to support the collective. Once they figure out how to keep the salad quiet, it's utopian.

  2. #452
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well spikey, socialism does that too. Just think of it like a whole bunch of your friends going out to Applebee's. One orders an appetizer of chicken wings and potato skins. One orders the 16 ounce steak for dinner. Another orders 3 or 4 pina coladas.

    When the waitress comes around at the end, everyone says one check. Oh, and one person forgot their wallet at home.

    It's great and all, except the person who just got the salad and an ice water is getting jobbed over pretty damn hard. They have to subsidize appetizers, steak, drinks, and a forgotten wallet.

    Socialism can only exist as long as the salad and ice water doesn't mind being exploited in order to support the collective. Once they figure out how to keep the salad quiet, it's utopian.
    Something tells me I should just jab a fork into the neck of the guy with more money than everyone in every Applebees in America then give everyone free Applebees. Much easier.

    Aren't there like 5 guys with more wealth than the bottom half of the country...

    Or maybe I just heard that on the news.

  3. #453
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    How wonderfully authoritarian of you. Rich is evil. Let's just kill off the top 5% of America and redistribute everything.

    That'll be great...for now. When the mean income and wealth level gradually dwindle down without that 5%, what next? There will be nobody left to kill, Mr. Stalin.

  4. #454
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    How wonderfully authoritarian of you. Rich is evil. Let's just kill off the top 5% of America and redistribute everything.

    That'll be great...for now. When the mean income and wealth level gradually dwindle down without that 5%, what next? There will be nobody left to kill, Mr. Stalin.
    Not that your argument has any bearing on socialism... or reality except in and of itself without application to anything external or having to do with anything that at all resembles anything that has ever happened in reality. So the work that say... the top 20 richest men in the world do... are they psychic do they have laser eyes? They must be god's who do something no other men can to deserve that wealth... correct? We should leave the financial interests of the planet or lets say the US in control of a few people in good faith they have no personal flaws? They couldn't crash the global economy could they *cough*. Now be honest... what work or knowledge could they possibly bring to planet earth that merits that wealth... if they are not gods?

  5. #455
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    They manage money. They have experience in operations. They're the final word on design, engineering, marketing, and a plethora of other channels.

    They are still the smartest men in the room. If someone else becomes the brain, he would most likely have target on that position.

    It's that same ol' "too many chiefs, not enough indians" problem. Do you think the average worker is going to not become a god unto himself? Unless you're Japanese, you've probably never been a part of a successful syndicate.

  6. #456
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    They manage money. They have experience in operations. They're the final word on design, engineering, marketing, and a plethora of other channels.

    They are still the smartest men in the room. If someone else becomes the brain, he would most likely have target on that position.
    I see... a outpouring of faith in ze gods... of course you know this because you've met them. Or have sources on what exactly it is they do... privately in their businesses?

  7. #457
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    I've worked in corporations plenty. You don't just stumble into or get nepotized into the head of all tables. I've met Iacocca when I worked at Daimler-Chrysler. Dude's got skills.

    I know you don't want to think of other people as "better" or "smarter", but shuck the ego for a while. We're not exactly talking about fluff in a suit here.

  8. #458
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    I already live in a nation that's pretty socialistic. It's called the United States of America, where we have a socialized transportation system (roads, bridges, airports, trains, etc), water system, retirement system (ie SS), medical system (Medicare, Medicaid, Obamacare), military, police, fire depts, mail system, electrical grid, financial system (ie central bank, SEC, regulated banks and stock exchange), etc
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #459
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    You can't privatize the vast majority of what you just listed. That is not socialism - it's just efficient allocation. You can't choose which people in a nation get defended, you can't choose which people get access to mail, and you can't choose people who get to drive on roads. You know, there is actually some grey area between anarchy and socialism. Just a little.

  10. #460
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I've worked in corporations plenty. You don't just stumble into or get nepotized into the head of all tables. I've met Iacocca when I worked at Daimler-Chrysler. Dude's got skills.

    I know you don't want to think of other people as "better" or "smarter", but shuck the ego for a while. We're not exactly talking about fluff in a suit here.
    Im sure the head of daimler-c is quite the guy, I don't doubt it at all. Yet no human performs the value in labor that merits the wealth that the top handful (lets put it at a dozen) garner. I wouldnt stab them in the neck of course, they're likely nice people (I hope). But I still believe the point stands.

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •