View Poll Results: Do you think socialism could have succeeded if capitalism wasn't standing on the way?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't know

    3 2.88%
  • Don't care

    3 2.88%
  • Absolutely

    10 9.62%
  • I think it could

    16 15.38%
  • I think it couldn't

    17 16.35%
  • No way

    55 52.88%
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 502

Thread: Socialism could have succeeded?

  1. #101
    Unnecessary Middleman Bardo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    10-27-11 @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    605

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    The pros of capitalism have far outweighed the cons at this point. I attribute 99% of the conveniences of my modern lifestyle to capitalism, including my computer
    I'll give you this one. Although I'll point out that the early days of personal computer development were very cooperative in nature, up until the pc market really took off.

    fresh tap water (which is delivered efficiently and safely to my faucet)
    You're attributing the public treatment and distribution of water to capitalism? Isn't a government agency usually responsible for this? Bottled water may be a product of capitalism, but in many cases bottled water is tap water with a fancy label. :P

    I wouldn't quickly dismiss Capitalism and say it's on its way out just because of a few crooks in the financial realm. Imagine if we dismissed capitalism after the 1929 crash?
    A theory that predates the great depression states that as capitalism matures, these crises will become deeper and deeper, relying on more and more state intervention with less and less effect. It's still too early to fully grasp the seriousness of the current crisis, but it will most likely last much longer than the great depression and will require much more state intervention to correct it. I suppose we could always nuke Japan again and reclaim the auto industry.
    "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." Bertrand Russell

  2. #102
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Sure it's the same thing. Why else would you mention the construction companies that build schools if not to make the argument that the school system wasn't a form of socialism?

    Actually, you need not explain. Your dishonesty of your argument has already been revealed
    The construction company that built the school is privately owned, it is not owned in commons or by the workers.
    The materials that are supplied to the school, is not owned in commons or by the workers.

    Private industry has it's hands all over the "education" system.
    It defies any argument that it is socialism, unless your one of those fundie republicans.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #103
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The construction company that built the school is privately owned, it is not owned in commons or by the workers.
    The materials that is supplied to the school, is not owned in commons or by the workers.

    Private industry has it's hands all over the "education" system.
    It defies any argument that it is socialism, unless your one of those fundie republicans.
    The school system is publicly owned. The construction company is not a part of the school system. Even if the school system buys products from private sources, the school system is publicly owned and controlled.

    The school system, which is publicly owned and controlled, is a socialist institution.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #104
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    The school system is publicly owned. The construction company is not a part of the school system. Even if the school system buys products from private sources, the school system is publicly owned and controlled.

    The school system, which is publicly owned and controlled, is a socialist institution.
    Then why are teachers unionized?
    If they "owned" it, they wouldn't have a reason to unionize.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #105
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Then why are teachers unionized?
    If they "owned" it, they wouldn't have a reason to unionize.
    Another inane argument. Teachers don't own the school system, and no one said they did.

    Your arguments are so desperate, you've been reduced to fantasizing that teachers own the school system
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #106
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Last Seen
    09-19-11 @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    I think the majority of us realized that having a socialist country requires suppression of the people and no rights. You just won't get the freedoms anywhere else in the world other than the United States. I don't support socialism in any sense. The majority have the same opportunities to succeed and do well in life and the only one's complaining are the one's who are lazy and won't get off their ass and work for something. So in turn they expect everyone else to pay and support their lives. The first thing I ask anyone when meeting a foreigner is how well their gun laws are. What do they feel about not being able to defend themselves and rely on an under-trained government or military to deal with their crime problems. People argue that Canada is much more less crime than the United States. They still have violent criminals and still have robberies and murders and rapists. It's not different other than they have a different way of thinking than we do. I'm fighting for this country and I'll be damned if I'm going to let it become a socialist one at that.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Another inane argument. Teachers don't own the school system, and no one said they did.

    Your arguments are so desperate, you've been reduced to fantasizing that teachers own the school system
    Then it is not socialism, as they would own it in commons.
    Do you even know what socialism is?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #108
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Then it is not socialism, as they would own it in commons.
    Do you even know what socialism is?
    Wrong. Socialism doesn't mean "teachers own the schools".

    Try again
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #109
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Wrong. Socialism doesn't mean "teachers own the schools".

    Try again
    Uhh, that is the definition.
    It's were workers own and control the means of production.

    You don't know what socialism is.
    Your arguments have thus far been like those conservatives, who call Obama a socialist at every turn.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #110
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Socialism could have succeeded?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Uhh, that is the definition.
    It's were workers own and control the means of production.

    You don't know what socialism is.
    Your arguments have thus far been like those conservatives, who call Obama a socialist at every turn.
    No it's not. The definition of socialism is not "teachers own the school system".

    Try again
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •