View Poll Results: Did evolution leave all races with equal mental and physical competency?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ye

    27 38.57%
  • No

    43 61.43%
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 279

Thread: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    The premise is flawed in the first place because there are no separate races among humans. We are all the same race. More scientifically, we are all the same species, we just have different phenotypes. Phenotypes occur in adaptation to environments.

    On an extremely minute level you could argue that a Chinese person has different genetics than an African because they have different visual features; but if you were to look at a house cat that's spotted vs. a house cat that is all white, would you start referring to them as being different species? No. You call them all cats. Same thing with the different types of dog.

    If you put all kinds of dog together in one environment, they all interact uniformly. The same goes for humans, except we have more cultural layers that make this more complicated. But that's not genetic.

    Europe tried to divide humans into different species along time ago. It's called Social Darwinism. Modern science has proven it completely fallacious and if you'd care to look at the science behind it you'd see that.

    I therefore cannot vote in this poll, because the opening question, although scientifically intended, has zero to do with scientific fact. It is personal supposition only.
    Last edited by Temporal; 09-15-11 at 04:04 PM.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    It can also mean a sprint or a run competition of a set distance. Just want to get it all out there.
    I laughed at that one.

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    By "I can't wait to see this ****" I do not mean to pick on Wake, btw. Im just waiting fro the thread to asplode.
    It's taking a long time...

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    When you refused to clarify what was meant exactly by the term "race" in the op, and called that request for clarification a fallacy, you became the argumentative one who didn't know, even if that was not your intention.

    The question was very appropriate given the ambiguity of the term.
    Not so. I objected to this:

    Communique: Let's start with the premises. What are the races you are referring to? Let's get a complete list first, then we can try tackling the question posed...
    With this:

    Nope.

    A List Of Fallacious Arguments

    Argument By Question:
    asking your opponent a question which does not have a snappy answer. (Or anyway, no snappy answer that the audience has the background to understand.) Your opponent has a choice: he can look weak or he can look long-winded. For example, "How can scientists expect us to believe that anything as complex as a single living cell could have arisen as a result of random natural processes ?"

    Actually, pretty well any question has this effect to some extent. It usually takes longer to answer a question than ask it.

    Variants are the rhetorical question, and the loaded question, such as "Have you stopped beating your wife ?"
    There was absolutely nothing about the clarity of the term "race". It was about the fallacious Argument by Question, in which he asked a question about which and all races that had no quick answer to be given. That was the problem, not the definition of the term "race".

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    The premise is flawed in the first place because there are no separate races among humans. We are all the same race.
    If you're going to say we're all the same race then racism can't exist because racism demands that there's a race that oppresses/insults/etc another race.

  6. #66
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Not so. I objected to this:



    With this:



    There was absolutely nothing about the clarity of the term "race". It was about the fallacious Argument by Question, in which he asked a question about which and all races that had no quick answer to be given. That was the problem, not the definition of the term "race".
    It was entirely about clarification of what you meant by the term race. In order to even begin debating the issue, a clear cut definition of race must exist, and if such a calrification were possible, a list of all races would also be possible.


    Just because his response was a question doesn't mean it was an argument by question fallacy.

  7. #67
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Not so. I objected to this:



    With this:



    There was absolutely nothing about the clarity of the term "race". It was about the fallacious Argument by Question, in which he asked a question about which and all races that had no quick answer to be given. That was the problem, not the definition of the term "race".
    It looks to me that he had not even started arguing. He was asking for clarification to YOUR argument before he could begin his argument.

    the important part:

    then we can try tackling the question posed...
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  8. #68
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    If you're going to say we're all the same race then racism can't exist because racism demands that there's a race that oppresses/insults/etc another race.
    No, racism demands that there's a group of people perceived as a race that oppresses, etc.

    In other words, racism doesn't demand that a race objectively exists. It demands that there are groups that we refer to as races that oppress one another.

  9. #69
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    You think I think I think it's an ambiguous word based on my definition. My definition is more clear than the Wikipedia definition.
    So you are saying ambiguous is ambiguous? LOL. "More clear" does not mean completely lacking ambiguity. Rather it implies it. Your definition is no more "correct" than that of wikipedia. It is simply the one you prefer.

    Similar is an ambiguous word. Who decides the features that define race and whether the features of one particular are more similar to this group or that group? We do, collectively. Because there is no certain way to define the general features of the group or whether a particular is more like this group or that group, it is ambiguous.

  10. #70
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Similar is an ambiguous word. Who decides the features that define race and whether the features of one particular are more similar to this group or that group? We do, collectively. Because there is no certain way to define the general features of the group or whether a particular is more like this group or that group, it is ambiguous.
    Looking at his definition: "I view race as a set of people with similar physical features, etc" All people with Achondroplasia would be part of a single race since it would be a group of people with similar physical features. They also have similarities in their genes, too.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •