View Poll Results: Did evolution leave all races with equal mental and physical competency?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ye

    27 38.57%
  • No

    43 61.43%
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 279

Thread: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Except I can't spare a billion years in order to drive understanding into the noggin of theplaydrive.
    Like I said, my opinions come directly from the scientifc community. It's strange that I made the same argument as don and several other posters on this board that you only attack me.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,879

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    No, it doesn't, in regards to me.

    I ask the question because I don't know and obviously don't have all of the data regarding it.

    Ergo, I ask here because all ya'll are the supposedly intelligent and argumentative type.

    I can help in trying to answer the question, but don't think I'm going to have all the answers because that's not the nature of the inquisitive one who doesn't know.
    You certainly claimed to know in the other thread.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  3. #33
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    I think Oscar is just saying that many people accept the fact that different environments can cause a single species to divide and evolve into different physical appearances, so why can't different environments cause a single species to divide and evolve into different variations of mental capacities/ways of thinking, ect?

    I think it's a valid point.

    Or was your comment including a point made by Oscar in a prior post (maybe I missed that)?
    It can be not valid if his argument that environment cannot be used to explain disparities in IQ is valid. Either environment can create variations or not.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    I can't wait to see this.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    You certainly claimed to know in the other thread.
    In order to "know" one typically has to have a "belief" to give reason for said "know."

    In that other thread, it was a question with an argumentative twist in order to drill out some credible info from both sides.

    I don't believe either way, because I don't know. I just don't like the feeling of being expected to believe one way, even though there's a scientific possibility of it being the other way.

  6. #36
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    It can be not valid if his argument that environment cannot be used to explain disparities in IQ is valid. Either environment can create variations or not.
    please look up the definition of strawman. I have never made that arguement.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #37
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    "asking your opponent a question which does not have a snappy answer. (Or anyway, no snappy answer that the audience has the background to understand.)" is.

    When I say race it means "all" races. People shouldn't use the Argument by Question fallacy. I don't have the time to collect a complete list; it's just not practical.
    If you are using a term in a premise of your argument, it most definitely has to have a snappy answer or else you are guilty of the fallacy of equivocation.

    It's not a fallacy to ask for terms to be defined, but it is a fallacy to have undefinable terms in a premise.

    If you wish to limi tthe descriptions ot the source you used earlier, though the fallacy youare guilty of is:

    "Failure To State:
    if you make enough attacks, and ask enough questions, you may never have to actually define your own position on the topic."

    A List Of Fallacious Arguments
    Last edited by Tucker Case; 09-15-11 at 03:37 PM.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    [I]In order to "know" one typically has to have a "belief" to give reason for said "know."
    Isnt this just one of a few epistemological stances? I dont quite remember.

    Also race is a cultural conception.

    Once again, I can't wait to see this ****.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    So what are your guys's philosophies on race? I mean, are they black when they look sort of black? Are they black when they're still 1/16?

    What genetic parameters would you use to distinguish between races? Which races are actual races? As if this were even a valid discussion.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If you are using a term in a premise of your argument, it most definitely has to have a snappy answer or else you are guilty of the fallacy of equivocation.

    It's not a fallacy to ask for terms to be defined, but it is a fallacy to have undefinable terms in a premise.
    There's no fallacy in asking if evolution did or did not affect the mental or physical capability of all races.

    To say that's fallacious is to say that all questions of dubious scientific background are fallacious.

    Equivocation:
    using a word to mean one thing, and then later using it to mean something different. For example, sometimes "Free software" costs nothing, and sometimes it is without restrictions. Some examples:

    "The sign said 'fine for parking here', and since it was fine, I parked there."

    All trees have bark.
    All dogs bark.
    Therefore, all dogs are trees.

    "Consider that two wrongs never make a right, but that three lefts do."
    - "Deteriorata", National Lampoon
    Not sure where my question suddenly changed its meaning.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •