View Poll Results: Did evolution leave all races with equal mental and physical competency?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ye

    27 38.57%
  • No

    43 61.43%
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 279

Thread: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

  1. #111
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,453
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Funny but irrelevant point. As I said before, the question is not about specific individuals.
    Not sure your point.

    "Racial" differences are almost exclusively environmental (climate, food sources, not "nurture"), equipping those who evolve their to thrive in said environme t.

    So no, all "races" aren't equally "equipped", but will tend to be more successful when in their evolutionary environment.

    Intellect aside, as arguably the most potent genetic difference between individuals and largely due to the fact this is the wellspring of our ability to dominate the natural world. Largely negating evolutionary adaptations to a given environment.

    Doesn't matter how heat/sun adapted you are if I have air conditioning for instance.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  2. #112
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    The fact that they all play a part in evolution does not mean that evolution plays a part in all intra-species genetic variance.
    I'm extremely tired today and not at my sharpest. I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. What factors other than evolution do you imagine are playing a part in creating intra-species genetic variance. Give me an example and that should, I hope, be enough of a clue for me to understand what you're trying to argue.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Not sure your point.

    "Racial" differences are almost exclusively environmental (climate, food sources, not "nurture"), equipping those who evolve their to thrive in said environme t.
    I disagree. That is, I disagree that it's "almost exclusively".

    So no, all "races" aren't equally "equipped", but will tend to be more successful when in their evolutionary environment.

    Intellect aside, as arguably the most potent genetic difference between individuals and largely due to the fact this is the wellspring of our ability to dominate the natural world. Largely negating evolutionary adaptations to a given environment.

    Doesn't matter how heat/sun adapted you are if I have air conditioning for instance.
    Indeed. It shows why climate is simply a factor that can be overcome.

  4. #114
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Incredibly relevant article: BBC News - Is it wrong to note 100m winners are always black?

    "This evidence demonstrates how absurd it is to engage in racial generalisations - how crazy it is to witness a tiny group of black people winning at, say, the 10,000m and to infer that all people who share the same skin colour share an aptitude for 10,000m running."

    As for intelligence - the fact alone that you can take an IQ test, then train for it, take it again and get a better result shows that IQ is largely affected by environment. Bone structure, on the other hand, is largely genetic. Though I'm not a fan of the term - it's apples and oranges.
    Last edited by iangb; 09-15-11 at 07:07 PM.
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  5. #115
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So all the experts in the field who disagree with the methodology and conclusions, they do not make the paper controversial at best? You instead try and make it about me? That is hilarious.
    It is about you because you're making stuff up. You saying that there are "experts in the field who disagree with the methodology and conclusions" is unsupported. I'd love to read these idiots who disagree with the methodology of a SURVEY PAPER which has no methodology - that would be a hoot to read.

  6. #116
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    It is about you because you're making stuff up. You saying that there are "experts in the field who disagree with the methodology and conclusions" is unsupported. I'd love to read these idiots who disagree with the methodology of a SURVEY PAPER which has no methodology - that would be a hoot to read.
    You said it yourself, there was a whole issue dedicated to people on both sides of the issue. But I am wrong, even though you couldn't even argue against half of what I said. This is typical of you, you find some little nitpick, and present that as if it made the whole thing not true. If you are going to keep claiming the paper is not controversial, I will happily supply many links. That is what we call not making things up. The difference between what you are doing, and what I am doing, is I am actually commenting on the substance of your posts, while you go to great lengths to avoid commenting on the substance of any one you disagree with's post.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #117
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Discussion in another thread gave rise to this poll.

    Simply, do you think evolution, with it's supposed changing of humans, left mental and physical competence equal among all races? I ask because I haven't been given much if any empirical proof or valuable evidence for either side. I, for one, am highly suspicious of the notion that evolution left all races equally intelligent. So I'm left to question each side.

    Do the Chinese have an overall higher intelligence than, say, Aboriginees of Australia? Looking at history, I can see that certain races advanced far faster than other races. All humans can almost be treated like a bacteria, with different strains of the same virus, what with the way we've spread.

    Do you think evolution, with it's "magical" ability to cause people to vary from physical features and skin color, change everthing save mental competence? If mental competence wasn't touched in the slightest so that all races are equally intelligent, do you think physical prowess was also untouched in the slightest? What other things do you think political correctn---ehm, evolution, decide to leave equal?

    Please support your claims with evidence otherwise this'll just be a repeat of the other thread.

    EDIT: "Ye" is "yes". Confound you, Computer.
    Why do you limit the answers to Yes or No?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #118
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I'm extremely tired today and not at my sharpest. I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. What factors other than evolution do you imagine are playing a part in creating intra-species genetic variance. Give me an example and that should, I hope, be enough of a clue for me to understand what you're trying to argue.
    You answered the question yourself: Sexual selection, drift, mutation. Any one of those, as well as other explanations, cause intra-species genetic variance. While the all play a role in evolution, they are not evolution.

    See, in order for evolution to occur, genetic variance must be present in the species already. A species without intra-species genetic variance would be a species that could not evolve.

    Your arguments claim that a specific intra-species variation is caused by evolution, but the only evidence you offer for that is the existence of that intra-species variation. You provide no evidence whatsoever that leads to the conclusion of an evolutionary cause for that variation.

  9. #119
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You said it yourself, there was a whole issue dedicated to people on both sides of the issue.
    Exactly. This paper was not controversial nor was it faulty. The critics who published in the same issue raised concerns and then the authors responded to the concerns. It shouldn't have to be pointed out put perhaps it would help because you don't seem to grasp that just because a concern is raised that doesn't mean that the concern is fairly raising a point rather than misinterpreting a point, it doesn't mean that the concern is correct, it doesn't mean that the concern represents a stronger point of view, etc. A concern that is raised is not the equivalent of a falsification.

    Thirty years ago, before the rise of genomics, the environment only extremists ruled the day and the hereditarians were being attacked all the time. Now the tables are turned and the nurture side is being pummeled because the hereditarians are drawing on multiple reinforcing points from a variety of fields. The concerns that the critics raised were answered by the proponents.

    But I am wrong, even though you couldn't even argue against half of what I said. This is typical of you, you find some little nitpick, and present that as if it made the whole thing not true.
    Learn to keep your Pavlovian attack response in check - if you want to debate me then stop and think about what you've written before you hit the "Submit Reply" button. I don't care how sloppy you are with your thinking when you respond to other people but when you direct attacks at me those punches better hit me. That's when I'll take you seriously. At the very least be more precise in your language. Your habit of sloppy thinking makes it difficult to take you seriously.

  10. #120
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You answered the question yourself: Sexual selection, drift, mutation. Any one of those, as well as other explanations, cause intra-species genetic variance. While the all play a role in evolution, they are not evolution.

    See, in order for evolution to occur, genetic variance must be present in the species already. A species without intra-species genetic variance would be a species that could not evolve.

    Your arguments claim that a specific intra-species variation is caused by evolution, but the only evidence you offer for that is the existence of that intra-species variation. You provide no evidence whatsoever that leads to the conclusion of an evolutionary cause for that variation.
    Let's make a deal - I won't tutor you in physics and you don't tutor me on population genetics. OK?

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •