View Poll Results: Did evolution leave all races with equal mental and physical competency?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ye

    27 38.57%
  • No

    43 61.43%
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 279

Thread: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

  1. #91
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Yes, if that is what they desired to happen. No, not just any old eskimo is going to run as fast as a Kenyan but it's not important to them so they do not train to run fast. It's been argued in the past that blacks couldn't play QB or golf. Someone is always going to be the fastest. If it was the desire of Eskimo kids to run the 100, sooner or later a few of them (not all Kenyan's run fast) would be competitive.

    There isn't much desire to run the 100 in Eskimo culture.
    sorry, but a short thick eskimo just isn't as physically adept at running as a skinny kenyan, no matter how much they train.

    can a 4' 6" pygmy train themselves to dunk a basketball?

    to deny that there are, in fact, differences in people that mere training/education/whatever cannot overcome is ridiculous

    not everyone can be a pro athlete or a brain surgeon.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #92
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    If the body shape and physical conditioning is the same, why wouldn't the eskimo run the same time as the Kenyen?
    which is exactly the point. body shape is not and will never be the same, no matter how much training the eskimo does.

    Are people from Africa created differently genetically? Maybe it is because they run from the time they are very young and it keep their bodies in great condition.
    or maybe their big booties sticking out in back give them an advantage and better balance for running
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #93
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Absolutely. Culture is the defining factor, not evolution. Placed in a different culture and Usain Bolt might be a great ski jumper.
    I wish I knew who that was.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #94
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    There is so much wrong with this statement. What is the metric that you're using to reach the conclusion that the differences are insignificant?
    I said "insignificant" not "identical." That distinction is crucial. The Human Genome Project showed 99.9% similarity. The differences among humans, however one wants to group them, are insignificant. Furthermore, you completely misunderstood the analogy that references races (or any other grouping of humans) and species. Intra-species differences are very small compared to inter-species ones.

    You need to read the literature more carefully:
    I said "credible" studies. I'm aware of the existence of discredited and, in the Jensen case, poorly-designed ones. There are no meaningful differences.

  5. #95
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:36 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,289
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    sorry, but a short thick eskimo just isn't as physically adept at running as a skinny kenyan, no matter how much they train.

    can a 4' 6" pygmy train themselves to dunk a basketball?

    to deny that there are, in fact, differences in people that mere training/education/whatever cannot overcome is ridiculous

    not everyone can be a pro athlete or a brain surgeon.
    How much of the difference is from environment? If you spend all your time outdoors in physical activity, you will look significantly different than if you spend your time inside trying to stay warm(gross oversimplification). How much genetic difference between the two groups, I have no clue however.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    sorry, but a short thick eskimo just isn't as physically adept at running as a skinny kenyan, no matter how much they train.
    Of course not. A tall thin Eskimo could though. You don't think there are any short thick Kenyan's?

    can a 4' 6" pygmy train themselves to dunk a basketball?
    No more so than a 4' 6" black man.

    to deny that there are, in fact, differences in people that mere training/education/whatever cannot overcome is ridiculous

    not everyone can be a pro athlete or a brain surgeon.
    Of course not. But people from any race can be. You are argueing individuals. That is not the question.

  7. #97
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You realize that at best the paper you present is controversial, at worst it is seen as faulty?
    It is faulty. Its sampling methodology was inherently flawed. It lacks the rigor from which to draw firm conclusions.

  8. #98
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Reading comprehension check: I did not say I thought it was faulty(I do not have the knowledge to judge it). I said that it was controversial, and considered by many to be faulty.
    It's good that you're diagnosing yourself as having a reading comprehension disorder for you kindly save us all the trouble of having broach that subject with you. Now that you've broken the ice and shown that you're comfortable with discussing your disability, let me point to another mistake you've made in the quoted post:


    You realize that at best the paper you present is controversial, at worst it is seen as faulty?


    You made the above statement. You didn't indicate that you were conveying other people's opinions. So it seems that in addition to your reading comprehension problems you also have a short-term memory problem which inhibits your ability to recall what you wrote only minutes ago.

    To the substance of your evidence-free assertion, the APA published journal gave equal access to the critics, so if there was any fault with the paper then that fault would have been fully addressed by the critics, preeminent scholars in the field.

    Your tactic is widely recognized as "poisoning the well" - you lay a turd into the thread by declaring that a paper is controversial and possibly faulty and just leave that turd there to stink up the debate. You don't make an argument as to why YOU, or OTHERS, believe the paper is controversial and WHY some think it MAY be faulty. There would be value in discussing WHY that might be the case but simply dropping a turd like you did serves no purpose other than to poison the debate.

    Presenting something controversial among experts on the topic as fact is somewhat dishonest, though I gave you the benefit of the doubt and asked if you where aware of the problem.
    YOU say the paper is controversial. Why should I be bound by your evidence-free assertion? The paper was peer-reviewed and the journal brought together top scholars in the field, people with very impressive publication records. These people all know there fields very well. There is no controversy here.

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    11-28-17 @ 04:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,690

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    The American Psychological Association devoted an entire issue of that journal to this question and brought together the most prominent researchers for this "battle of hypotheses" and let them go at each other. Read the paper, read the criticisms and read the responses to the criticisms.

    Your calorie-free pronouncement doesn't convey any information.
    Noting the existence of flaws in the paper is not a "calorie-free pronouncement." Given the paper's sampling flaws, the paper's conclusions are "calorie-free" to use that term. Poor samples lead to conclusions that are not representative of the populations the samples purport to represent. The paper's conclusion remains little more than a hypothesis.

  10. #100
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Did evolution leave all races equal in terms of mental and physical competence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    The question isn't:

    "What is the relative intelligence between races?"

    You're a bit more clever than others here so I'll give you bonus points.

    The real question is:

    Did evolution leave all races with equal physical and mental competency?"

    My question's a bit more general than your more specific question.
    Let's see. All races evolved to stand upright, using two legs. All races have two arms, eight fingers and two opposable thumbs. All races share identical internal organs, have eyes with which to see and ears with which to hear. All races have developed the capacity for language and oral communication. So I'd say, yep. All races have developed equally competent physical and mental capacity.

    There y'go.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •