Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 380

Thread: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

  1. #291
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I wonder why conservatives devised the idea of an insurance mandate then?
    Arguments like this really don't move the discussion forward unless the person you're addressing supported the elected officials when they proposed it. I was too damn young when they did it to know what it meant, but when I was old enough to get it I didn't support it.

    So perhaps you would be better expressing your point as a question. Otherwise, all you're doing is pointing out the hypocrisy of politicians, which is well known and pervasive.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  2. #292
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I wonder why conservatives devised the idea of an insurance mandate then?
    Herring, red.

  3. #293
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    Herring, red.
    Facts are red herrings to you eh?

    "Republicans were for President Obama's requirement that Americans get health insurance before they were against it.

    The obligation in the new health care law is a Republican idea that's been around at least two decades. It was once trumpeted as an alternative to Bill and Hillary Clinton's failed health care overhaul in the 1990s. These days, Republicans call it government overreach.

    Mitt Romney, weighing another run for the Republican presidential nomination, signed such a requirement into law at the state level as Massachusetts governor in 2006. At the time, Romney defended it as "a personal responsibility principle" and Massachusetts' newest Republican senator, Scott Brown, backed it. Romney now says Obama's plan is a federal takeover that bears little resemblance to what he did as governor and should be repealed."

    "In the early 1970s, President Richard Nixon favored a mandate that employers provide insurance. In the 1990s, the Heritage Foundation, a leading conservative think tank, embraced an individual requirement. Not anymore.

    "The idea of an individual mandate as an alternative to single-payer was a Republican idea," said health economist Mark Pauly of the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School. In 1991, he published a paper that explained how a mandate could be combined with tax credits -- two ideas that are now part of Obama's law. Pauly's paper was well-received -- by the George H.W. Bush administration."

    Read more: Republicans Hatched Idea For Obama's Health Insurance Mandate | Fox News
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #294
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Facts are red herrings to you eh?
    When, as now, they are not germane to the topic at hand and introduced in order to misdirect the conversation away from a point you cannot defend, yes.
    Recess is over - you better head back inside.

  5. #295
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    When, as now, they are not germane to the topic at hand and introduced in order to misdirect the conversation away from a point you cannot defend, yes.
    Recess is over - you better head back inside.
    The origin of the health insurance mandate is not germane to a discussion of the health insurance mandate???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I wonder why conservatives devised the idea of an insurance mandate then?
    Because getting people to take personal responsibility for their own health care is a good conservative idea. One I would support.

    But when Obama used the idea... it became all about "Freedom".... Teabrain idiocy and hypocrisy.

    Here, let me allow the far righties to shoot down the mandate in its purist form...

    1) You take responsibility for yourself by purchasing health insurance. You have the choice of plans and extent of coverage.

    2) If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice (to not be responsible)...

    3) However, so the rest of us don't have to foot the bill should you have a major medical emergency, we ask that you pay a very reasonable fee on tax day.

    How much more conservative could you get? Yet Babs Bachman can't wrap her tiny brain around it. It's total freedom.

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The origin of the health insurance mandate is not germane to a discussion of the health insurance mandate???
    The discussion, as should be clear to you, is about the morality of letting people die if they cannot pay for their medical care.

    That certan Republicans (note that Republicans and conservatives are not necessarily the same thing) supported the idea of an insurance mandate is not germane to that discussion - and, as such, you are doing nothing other than trying to derail the thread with your red herring.

    Now, go troll somewhere else before someone passess out pitchforks and torches.

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by PzKfW IVe View Post
    That certan Republicans (note that Republicans and conservatives are not necessarily the same thing) supported the idea of an insurance mandate is not germane to that discussion - and, as such, you are doing nothing other than trying to derail the thread with your red herring.
    Um...FAIL... it was a CONSERVATIVE THINK TANK that came up with idea.

    Republicans generally crap all over it solely because Obama used it... More evidence it's all about the black man in the White House.

  9. #299
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    More evidence it's all about the black man in the White House.
    was wondering how long it would take.....

    Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?-losing-liberals1-jpg
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    was wondering how long it would take.....
    At this point, it's all they have.

Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •