Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 380

Thread: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

  1. #11
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    Do you agree with Ron Paul's POV, that the uninsured should be denied life-saving medical care?

    it's called natural selection
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    It isn't the governments place to step in for either the inactions or the bad choices people make. It is a question for society to answer.

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,922

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    The government can't even run a licensing program efficiently. I do not want them controlling healthcare.
    But the government does control some healthcare already. Medicare. All the retirees in my family have few if any complaints. They get the services they need with nary a mention to me, including new hips, in and out of town emergent care, back surgery and follow up care. Medicare also has the benefit of running on 3% overhead costs.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  4. #14
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    But the government does control some healthcare already. Medicare. All the retirees in my family have few if any complaints. They get the services they need with nary a mention to me, including new hips, in and out of town emergent care, back surgery and follow up care. Medicare also has the benefit of running on 3% overhead costs.
    I was on Medicaid for years and would fight tooth and nail to avoid ever being on it again. I'm glad you have people who are happy with their government health care. I wasn't. And I don't trust it. And I will fight to avoid it ever being mandated upon the entire population of this country. I got better care when I didn't have insurance at all (and I paid my bills) than I ever did when I was on the government dole. Can't even tell you how many times I was denied a medical test or procedure because some government-assembled group of "professionals" decided that particular test or procedure wasn't "necesssary" on the basis of some arbitrary qualification system.

    Thanks to that nonsense I went through 8 years of daily pain because of gallstones the size of ping pong balls. Because some quantitative/qualitative measure devised by compiling data instead of talking to patients and doctors decided that a sonogram would cost more than any possible benefit of performing the procedure.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #15
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I was on Medicaid for years and would fight tooth and nail to avoid ever being on it again. I'm glad you have people who are happy with their government health care. I wasn't. And I don't trust it. And I will fight to avoid it ever being mandated upon the entire population of this country. I got better care when I didn't have insurance at all (and I paid my bills) than I ever did when I was on the government dole. Can't even tell you how many times I was denied a medical test or procedure because some government-assembled group of "professionals" decided that particular test or procedure wasn't "necesssary" on the basis of some arbitrary qualification system.

    Thanks to that nonsense I went through 8 years of daily pain because of gallstones the size of ping pong balls. Because some quantitative/qualitative measure devised by compiling data instead of talking to patients and doctors decided that a sonogram would cost more than any possible benefit of performing the procedure.
    well, did you live in texas? i hear medicaid funds there are horribly misspent. ;-)

    aside from that, do you have a problem with mandating insurance?
    Last edited by liblady; 09-13-11 at 05:56 PM.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  6. #16
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    well, did you live in texas? i hear medicaid funds there are horribly misspent. ;-)
    No, I did not.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    We have the highest cost of care and the most bloated medical system in the western world. Clearly what we have is not working efficiently or providing quality care.

    People object to universal health care for philosophical reasons. It could have the potential to actually save us money.

    But ultimately I must agree with some opponents who say that we can't afford it right now. Our economy is too fragile to implement such a huge system, and the health care bill we currently have is a complete piece of corporate crap.

  8. #18
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    well, did you live in texas? i hear medicaid funds there are horribly misspent. ;-)

    aside from that, do you have a problem with mandating insurance?
    I have a problem with the federal government mandating the purchase of a product. I feel that the power for that type of legislation, if belonging to anybody, would be with the states.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,922

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I was on Medicaid for years and would fight tooth and nail to avoid ever being on it again. I'm glad you have people who are happy with their government health care. I wasn't. And I don't trust it. And I will fight to avoid it ever being mandated upon the entire population of this country. I got better care when I didn't have insurance at all (and I paid my bills) than I ever did when I was on the government dole. Can't even tell you how many times I was denied a medical test or procedure because some government-assembled group of "professionals" decided that particular test or procedure wasn't "necesssary" on the basis of some arbitrary qualification system.

    Thanks to that nonsense I went through 8 years of daily pain because of gallstones the size of ping pong balls. Because some quantitative/qualitative measure devised by compiling data instead of talking to patients and doctors decided that a sonogram would cost more than any possible benefit of performing the procedure.
    I don't want to be argumentative Tessa and I'm very sorry your experience has been so terrible, but Medicaid is administered through each state, yes? I know they must conform to federal guide lines, but maybe that is the difference in how benefits and care are approved and administered?

    Again, I'm sorry and I don't blame you in the least for your opinion of government healthcare.
    Last edited by Gina; 09-13-11 at 06:06 PM.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  10. #20
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    We have the highest cost of care and the most bloated medical system in the western world. Clearly what we have is not working efficiently or providing quality care.

    People object to universal health care for philosophical reasons. It could have the potential to actually save us money.

    But ultimately I must agree with some opponents who say that we can't afford it right now. Our economy is too fragile to implement such a huge system, and the health care bill we currently have is a complete piece of corporate crap.
    How does universal healthcare solve the problem of medical care being expensive? Just because the government says, "We think an MRI scan should cost $50" doesn't mean that an MRI scan will magically be feasible at $50.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •