Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 380

Thread: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

  1. #161
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Alright, I will make that argument. Because, see, we live in this thing called a society, and sometimes it's beneficial to everyone for all the members of a society to pitch in for the common good. Because, see, the common good includes you.
    which would be fine IF, repeat IF, ALL the members of society pitched in. problem is, the ones getting the most benefit are the ones who pitch in the least.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,053

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The Kerr-Mills program covered elder care before Medicare.
    That's not the claim. The claim is that before government health programs if you had no money, doctors would still treat you. That's simply untrue.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #163
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not the claim. The claim is that before government health programs if you had no money, doctors would still treat you. That's simply untrue.
    Doctors treat you now without money, government health care programs, or insurance. Why would they not have done it before the creation of government health care?
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  4. #164
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That's not the claim. The claim is that before government health programs if you had no money, doctors would still treat you. That's simply untrue.
    as long as you had a chicken they would treat you
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    which would be fine IF, repeat IF, ALL the members of society pitched in. problem is, the ones getting the most benefit are the ones who pitch in the least.
    "For the Common Good" I think would indicate (to some degree) that those who "have" are pitching in for those who "have not". If everyone had enough, there'd be no pitching in needed.

    So it comes with no surprise that those who get the most benefit are going to be those who pitch in the least under this sort of circumstance.
    Last edited by David D.; 09-15-11 at 02:25 PM.

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    Doctors treat you now without money, government health care programs, or insurance. Why would they not have done it before the creation of government health care?
    Unless you can locate a community health care center that charges nothing, at least here, this is not true.

  7. #167
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    "For the Common Good" I think would indicate (to some degree) that those who "have" are pitching in for those who "have not". If everyone had enough, there'd be no pitching in needed.

    So it comes with no surprise that those who get the most benefit are going to be those who pitch in the least under this sort of circumstance.
    so, again,, explain how the "haves" helping the "have nots" does anything for the COMMON good.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so, again,, explain how the "haves" helping the "have nots" does anything for the COMMON good.
    If you don't give the have nots everything they need, they'll commit crimes and you'll spend more jailing them and repairing the damage they cause. Or so the argument goes. It works just like a hostage situation.

  9. #169
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neomalthusian View Post
    If you don't give the have nots everything they need, they'll commit crimes and you'll spend more jailing them and repairing the damage they cause. Or so the argument goes. It works just like a hostage situation.
    not if we allow them to die by refusing to give them free life saving medical care
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #170
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Not having insurance does not necessarily mean that person is lazy.
    True. It could just mean that they have a "pre-existing condition."

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •