Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 380

Thread: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

  1. #91
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    That sounds good goshin and in principle I agree with you...however, your not taking into account just how much these procedures cost vs what the bottom half of america earns...impossible to pay that is the whole problem...people that cant afford insurance premiums certainly cant afford to pay the whole tab in the end....I dont believe you can claim medical on bankruptcy anymore and make it go away like you used too before the law change...I could be wrong...
    By making insurance really insurance, and not a "catch all payment plan", the costs would go down as would premiums, making them more affordable to those who may not today, be able to purchase them. Such a move would also cut the exorbitant costs of hospital stays, procedures and treatments since the inflated costs are being addressed. By allowing people to get insurance from any state and not just within their own would also drive down costs. There are a few measures which would address this, but that's not where we as a country are right now unfortunately.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #92
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Well, hey. If income inequality in this country wasn't so obscene, the tax base would be a lot fairer, too. If a very small percentage takes all the money, well, they're gonna have to pay more taxes, too.
    they do pay more taxes. history shows that no matter how much taxes the government gets, they always seem to "need" more.

  3. #93
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    they do pay more taxes. history shows that no matter how much taxes the government gets, they always seem to "need" more.
    Except that suggesting we raise taxes has been borderline political suicide since Reagan. Don't you hate it when reality disagrees with your position?
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  4. #94
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Well, hey. If income inequality in this country wasn't so obscene, the tax base would be a lot fairer, too. If a very small percentage takes all the money, well, they're gonna have to pay more taxes, too.
    yeah, that income inequality is a real bitch. a HS dropout working at mickey D's should be making the same $$$ as a neurosurgeon.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #95
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah, that income inequality is a real bitch. a HS dropout working at mickey D's should be making the same $$$ as a neurosurgeon.
    So, are you aware that that's a straw man, or do you really not understand how terrible of an argument that is?
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  6. #96
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    So, are you aware that that's a straw man, or do you really not understand how terrible of an argument that is?
    give me one example of where two people with the same training, education, etc are paid dramatically different. you sound like you want communism. equal pay regardless of your effort or qualifications.


    "income inequality" is one of those catchphrases for people engaged in class warfare baiting.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  7. #97
    ¡Selah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and I would argue, how does it benefit the common good to allow the weakest members of society to artificially survive? we should take a cue from nature. look at a herd of deer, the weakest and the old and the sick fall prey to predators and keep the herd at a manageable size. when you remove the predators, the herd expands and then all suffer due to lack of food caused by over grazing.

    that is exactly what we have done in this country. the resources of this planet of finite, and since most people are either too stupid or too short sighted to see the value of space exploration, and conservation will only go so far. many of the problems we face today are caused by the simple fact that there are just too damn many people.
    Would you be saying this if it were your mother, child, or sibling? It's easy to write the lives of other people off as unimportant when healthy and with good fortune. Personally, I would agree that those who have life styles which increase their risk of health problems should not be supported. unfortunately, that is next to impossible to determine.

    As far as UHC is concerned, the government has proven itself inept at managing even the simplest of tasks. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it to provide healthcare. However, I am still undecided on this issue.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  8. #98
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    give me one example of where two people with the same training, education, etc are paid dramatically different. you sound like you want communism. equal pay regardless of your effort or qualifications.


    "income inequality" is one of those catchphrases for people engaged in class warfare baiting.
    Right, so you really don't understand why that's a horrible argument. I'm not advocating complete income equality. I just take issue with the fact that CEO's are paid 400 times what their workers make. Even better are investors and stock brokers and hedge fund managers. These are people who spend all day playing with other people's money, creating absolutely nothing of value, and making millions of dollars while doing it. You chose neurosurgeon because that's a high value job that actually requires a lot of training. Of course they should be paid more than a kid flipping burgers. The stock broker shouldn't be, though, because the kid flipping burgers creates more value than him, and I don't think burger flipping jobs should even exist. I take issue with the fact that some people buy houses as abstract investments without planning on ever actually living in them while their previous owners are kicked out onto the street. That's what income inequality is about.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  9. #99
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Would you be saying this if it were your mother, child, or sibling? It's easy to write the lives of other people off as unimportant when healthy and with good fortune. Personally, I would agree that those who have life styles which increase their risk of health problems should not be supported. unfortunately, that is next to impossible to determine.

    As far as UHC is concerned, the government has proven itself inept at managing even the simplest of tasks. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it to provide healthcare. However, I am still undecided on this issue.
    I didn't say it was an easy or a kind choice. but, sadly, I fear that unless we do something now, our children will be forced to do something drastic later.

    "soylent green is people"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #100
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Should We Allow The Uninsured To Die?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Would you be saying this if it were your mother, child, or sibling? It's easy to write the lives of other people off as unimportant when healthy and with good fortune. Personally, I would agree that those who have life styles which increase their risk of health problems should not be supported. unfortunately, that is next to impossible to determine.

    As far as UHC is concerned, the government has proven itself inept at managing even the simplest of tasks. I certainly wouldn't want to rely on it to provide healthcare. However, I am still undecided on this issue.
    Like I've said before, just because this government is an incompetent, corrupt piece of **** doesn't mean all governments are necessarily incompetent, corrupt pieces of ****.
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •