View Poll Results: Government can't create jobs

Voters
204. You may not vote on this poll
  • Don't Know

    2 0.98%
  • Agree, it cannot

    116 56.86%
  • Disagree, it can

    86 42.16%
Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 311

Thread: Government can't create jobs

  1. #241
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    I'm still waiting for an analysis of why the government supposedly can't create jobs.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  2. #242
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    I looked at the voting on this poll and it seemed a bit lopsided. Then I looked at the poll w/o being loged in. It gave me the list of those that voted and some hidden percentages that make no sense at all.So unless there is some inconsistancey that is also creating more errors the poll poll percentages are AFU. 57 voted yes it can, 17 voted no it can't and one voted dont'konw. 75 votes. 1 and 1/3 % per vote. 76% yes, 23% no and 1% don't know. My vote was properly recorded. What is going on? Acopy and paste follows.

    • Don't Know
    10.58%
    1. Wiseone
    • Agree, it cannot
    11063.58%
    1. apdst
    2. Bob Blaylock
    3. celticwar17
    4. coolwalker
    5. Councilman
    6. cpwill
    7. DontDoIt
    8. GreenvilleGrows
    9. Juiposa
    10. ksu_aviator
    11. Mr.Dand4Life
    12. Ockham
    13. petaluna
    14. Proud South Korean
    15. Shadow Serious
    16. TeaPartyBiker
    17. ualsdu7777
    • Disagree, it can
    6235.84%
    1. A.Pearce
    2. American
    3. atrasicarius
    4. Bardo
    5. Catawba
    6. Cephus
    7. Chappy
    8. DaveFagan
    9. DemonMyst
    10. disneydude
    11. dixiesolutions
    12. Djoop
    13. earthworm
    14. Easy Rider
    15. FilmFestGuy
    16. finebead
    17. Frolicking Dinosaurs
    18. GhostlyJoe
    19. Graffias
    20. Helix
    21. Ikari
    22. iliveonramen
    23. imagep
    24. jamesrage
    25. JohnWOlin
    26. Jryan
    27. LesGovt
    28. Lord Tammerlain
    29. lpast
    30. Luna Tick
    31. MaggieD
    32. Manc Skipper
    33. mbig
    34. Mickey Shane
    35. mike2810
    36. NGNM85
    37. obvious Child
    38. OhIsee.Then
    39. OrphanSlug
    40. pbrauer
    41. Phys251
    42. roughdraft274
    43. samsmart
    44. SmokeAndMirrors
    45. snilloctjc
    46. snodog
    47. SouthernDemocrat
    48. spud_meister
    49. StillBallin75
    50. TacticalEvilDan
    51. TheDemSocialist
    52. U.S. Socialist.
    53. upsideguy
    54. Voltaire X
    55. votewho2012
    56. whysoserious
    57. Your Star
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 10-14-11 at 10:30 PM. Reason: add: My vote was ...

  3. #243
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I'm still waiting for an analysis of why the government supposedly can't create jobs.
    well, as a quick way of compressing the point, in relatively open economies that are marked by high levels of debt (such as ours), the multiplier effect is actually NEGATIVE. So, in order to "create" jobs, the government first destroys or chokes off a greater number of jobs - which means that net there are fewer rather than more jobs. This has been one of history's most consistent economic experiences. If you were to study every major attempt to stimulate an economy in an OECD country since 1970, you would find that those that succeed are the ones that cut taxes, whereas those that fail are the ones that increase transfer payments. Every. Single. Time.


    Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.

  4. #244
    Professor
    atrasicarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 05:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    2,227

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I looked at the voting on this poll and it seemed a bit lopsided. Then I looked at the poll w/o being loged in. It gave me the list of those that voted and some hidden percentages that make no sense at all.So unless there is some inconsistancey that is also creating more errors the poll poll percentages are AFU. 57 voted yes it can, 17 voted no it can't and one voted dont'konw. 75 votes. 1 and 1/3 % per vote. 76% yes, 23% no and 1% don't know. My vote was properly recorded. What is going on? Acopy and paste follows.

    (list)
    Noticed, did you? The extra votes are made up of conservative votebots "guests." Seriously guys, cheating on an online poll?
    For: legalizing drugs, gay marriage, abortion, guns, universal health care, public sector jobs, nuclear power, free education, progressive taxation
    Against: corporations, make-work, the 40 hour work week, intellectual property, imperialism, "homeland security," censorship

  5. #245
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    That depends what time frame we're looking at.

    A short term period, a PMC is more expensive. Over the long term with pension and benefits, a PMC is cheaper.
    the rough figure is that it costs a million dollars per servicemember per year to deploy to Afghanistan. as a guy with multiple friends in PMC's, their costs are much lower per man, per year.

    furthermore (this is perhaps crass, but still true), the government loses nothing when a contractor dies other than the loss of his services before the company can get someone else out there. when a servicemember dies, the costs start at half a million dollars and go up from there - that's not counting for transport, burial, or any of the services we offer to the families of the fallen.

    but yes, I think that the DOD is now spending more on pension/benefits than we are on pay - it's a huge issue and one reason we are looking to move to a defined contributions plan.
    Last edited by cpwill; 10-14-11 at 10:49 PM.

  6. #246
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Noticed, did you? The extra votes are made up of conservative votebots "guests." Seriously guys, cheating on an online poll?
    as my uncle from Chicago might tell me: Imaginary People Deserve Votes Too

  7. #247
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Noticed, did you? The extra votes are made up of conservative votebots "guests." Seriously guys, cheating on an online poll?
    Its why I always make my poll's public, so we can see what the actual vote is (without the cheaters anonymous votes).

    Happy to see, as OhISeeThen pointed out, that the great majority of members here agree that the Government can create jobs:

    "57 voted yes it can, 17 voted no it can't and one voted don't know." This does not bode well for the GOP who are against job creation.
    Last edited by Catawba; 10-14-11 at 11:52 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #248
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    the rough figure is that it costs a million dollars per servicemember per year to deploy to Afghanistan. as a guy with multiple friends in PMC's, their costs are much lower per man, per year.

    furthermore (this is perhaps crass, but still true), the government loses nothing when a contractor dies other than the loss of his services before the company can get someone else out there. when a servicemember dies, the costs start at half a million dollars and go up from there - that's not counting for transport, burial, or any of the services we offer to the families of the fallen.

    but yes, I think that the DOD is now spending more on pension/benefits than we are on pay - it's a huge issue and one reason we are looking to move to a defined contributions plan.

    Cutting seniors benefits, cutting teachers benefits, cutting veteran's benefits, whatever it takes to save those tax cuts for the rich, right?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #249
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by atrasicarius View Post
    Noticed, did you? The extra votes are made up of conservative votebots "guests." Seriously guys, cheating on an online poll?
    Pretty pathetic
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #250
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,077

    Re: Government can't create jobs

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Cutting seniors benefits, cutting teachers benefits, cutting veteran's benefits, whatever it takes to save those tax cuts for the rich, right?
    I've been in favor of switching from a pension to a 401(k) style program for military members for some time now - this way we can actually provide a benefit to the vast majority of servicemembers who honorably serve their country and then get out to go to college or take other employment in the workforce. As pertains to the wealthy and entitlement cuts - I and congressional Republicans am on record as supporting means testing them out of the entitlement programs, while in my proposed Social Security Reform I suggested hiking the FICA cap to (as I recall) a little over $400K.

Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •