View Poll Results: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - absolutely

    41 42.71%
  • Yes - it's more-or-less the same as

    35 36.46%
  • No - but it's pretty close

    5 5.21%
  • No - not even close

    24 25.00%
  • Social Security is safe and secure, please stop scaring people.

    14 14.58%
  • This is a crummy question with no relevance.

    1 1.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 164

Thread: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

  1. #151
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    no, it's not a Ponzi scheme...their would have to be investment to qualify as such, there is no investment in regards to SS.
    ? um. no. ponzi schemes do not invest the money - they just pay current beneficiaries with money from those who hope to be later beneficiaries.

    and no, it's not an insurance policy either....you actually have property rights pertaining to insurance benefits, you have no such rights with SS.
    that is certainly true.
    Last edited by cpwill; 09-15-11 at 08:14 AM.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?


  3. #153
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    The Washington Post is RACIST!!!

  4. #154
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Yeah, that editorial really convinced me. Editorials are never wrong...

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    The Washington Post is RACIST!!!
    Thank you for your valued and insightful post. It's wonderful that we have people who want to actually discuss issues and not play silly games.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #155
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yeah, that editorial really convinced me. Editorials are never wrong...
    no. but if we want to discuss the extent to which discussion of Social Security as a Ponzi Scheme is accurate or mainstream, then it is worth pointing out that there have been many (on both sides of the aisle) who have referred to it in that manner.

    Thank you for your valued and insightful post. It's wonderful that we have people who want to actually discuss issues and not play silly games.
    entitlement reform is just code word for going back to the days of Jim Crow and seeing black people hanging from trees. the Congressional Black Caucus Told Me So.

  6. #156
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,272
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    no. but if we want to discuss the extent to which discussion of Social Security as a Ponzi Scheme is accurate or mainstream, then it is worth pointing out that there have been many (on both sides of the aisle) who have referred to it in that manner.



    entitlement reform is just code word for going back to the days of Jim Crow and seeing black people hanging from trees. the Congressional Black Caucus Told Me So.
    So no, you do not have any interest in adult conversation. Got it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #157
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So no, you do not have any interest in adult conversation. Got it.
    actually, i love talking about entitlement reform (i know - i'm alot of fun at parties). But I also enjoy the chance to make fun of the idiots who see racism everywhere fiscal pragmatism raises its' head.

    out of curiosity, then, you agree that those who make the kinds of hyperbolic claims I was referencing above are being silly and childish?

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Hey, would ya look at that ... ???


    U.S. calls online poker site a "global Ponzi scheme"

    NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors made new allegations on Tuesday in a probe of the Full Tilt Poker website, accusing self-styled "Poker Professor" Howard Lederer and professional poker champion Christopher Ferguson and others of paying themselves more than $440 million while defrauding other players.

    In a motion filed in federal court in New York to amend an earlier civil complaint, the prosecutors accused Full Tilt Poker of running a Ponzi scheme that continued even after the original charges were filed.


    ... Social Security is now like a poker game!

  9. #159
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Hey, would ya look at that ... ???


    U.S. calls online poker site a "global Ponzi scheme"

    NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors made new allegations on Tuesday in a probe of the Full Tilt Poker website, accusing self-styled "Poker Professor" Howard Lederer and professional poker champion Christopher Ferguson and others of paying themselves more than $440 million while defrauding other players.

    In a motion filed in federal court in New York to amend an earlier civil complaint, the prosecutors accused Full Tilt Poker of running a Ponzi scheme that continued even after the original charges were filed.


    ... Social Security is now like a poker game!
    Well, it is a gamble...
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  10. #160
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Is Social Security a Ponzi Scheme?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Yes? No? Why?
    The problem with Social Security has nothing to do with the aspects that conservatives claim that it's a ponzi scheme.

    Rather, the problem with Social Security is that Congress is willing to borrow out of the fund and claims it will pay it back with interest.

    If Congress were to make it illegal to borrow out of SS to pay for other things many of the problems with it would go away.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •