Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 76

Thread: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

  1. #41
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Are you suggesting that you have a guilty conscience, Viktyr? I most certainly don't.
    You should read Three Felonies a Day. Our legal code is so convoluted, that even with a legal degree or good understanding of the law, you probably break the law on a regular basis. Often without even knowing what you did, just like the criminally insane.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Exactly. No amount of "punishment" is going to cure the violently criminal and insane; so we should do with them what we do with their rabid cousins.... Put them down, immediately.
    Many can be treated. Also, they may be sick, but they're still people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No. The criminal requires PUNISHMENT, not treatment .
    If they don't understand what they did, why?
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Last Seen
    12-10-12 @ 07:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,316

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    No. The criminal requires PUNISHMENT, not treatment.
    This is vengence, nothing more. If the person who committed the crime was so out of his gourd he couldn't form the intent to harm, this satisfies nothing but a blood lust.

    Unless you happen to think mental illnesses just don't exist.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    You should read Three Felonies a Day. Our legal code is so convoluted, that even with a legal degree or good understanding of the law, you probably break the law on a regular basis. Often without even knowing what you did, just like the criminally insane.
    I may just add that to my reading list.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Many can be treated. Also, they may be sick, but they're still people.
    At whose expense? Do they have the money to pay for their treatment? You seem to place a much higher value on human beings than I do. Especially ones who cannot or will not live within society's standards and rules

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    If they don't understand what they did, why?
    If they are incapable of understanding the standards and rules of society, nevermind living within them, then I see no use for them in society to begin with. Better that they be locked away or disposed of for society's betterment than that they continue to roam the streets degrading the quality of life for society as a whole.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    This is vengence, nothing more. If the person who committed the crime was so out of his gourd he couldn't form the intent to harm, this satisfies nothing but a blood lust.

    Unless you happen to think mental illnesses just don't exist.
    Mental illmess most definitely does exist. Of that I have no doubt, and personal experience. It's what that individual DOES that makes the difference. I've been mildly to seriously depressed for probably the last quarter century. I'm a gun owner, and a collector of weapons by hobby and interest. I shoot firearms competitively. I have had more than sufficient means, motive, and opportunity to commit crimes over that time, yet I have not done so. You know why? Because I was taught better than that. I was raised to believe in the rule of law. Now, if I were to lose the control on myself and to commit some heinous act, then I would suggest that I SHOULD be killed for doing so, because once those bonds of control are lost, they can never be fully put back in place.

  5. #45
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    No, because some people actually are insane to the point where they can't distinguish right from wrong or control their actions. They need to be in treatment in secure mental institutions where they can't harm the public and where they can get treatment.

    The insanity defense is also misunderstood. There's a difference between criminal insanity and mental illness. They're not one and the same. Someone is criminally insane if his mental illness prevents him from understanding the difference between legal right and wrong. Not any person with some mental illness can use it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Mental illmess most definitely does exist. Of that I have no doubt, and personal experience. It's what that individual DOES that makes the difference. I've been mildly to seriously depressed for probably the last quarter century. I'm a gun owner, and a collector of weapons by hobby and interest. I shoot firearms competitively. I have had more than sufficient means, motive, and opportunity to commit crimes over that time, yet I have not done so. You know why? Because I was taught better than that. I was raised to believe in the rule of law. Now, if I were to lose the control on myself and to commit some heinous act, then I would suggest that I SHOULD be killed for doing so, because once those bonds of control are lost, they can never be fully put back in place.
    Depression is not the same thing as being criminally insane. See above.
    Last edited by Luna Tick; 09-04-11 at 02:00 PM.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    No, because some people actually are insane to the point where they can't distinguish right from wrong or control their actions. They need to be in treatment in secure mental institutions where they can't harm the public and where they can get treatment.

    The insanity defense is also misunderstood. There's a difference between criminal insanity and mental illness. They're not one and the same. Someone is criminally insane if his mental illness prevents him from understanding the difference between legal right and wrong. Not any person with some mental illness can use it.
    If they are to the point where they cannot understand the difference between Right and Wrong, they need not be a member of society, or the human race, any longer than it takes to put a bullet in the back of their head.

  7. #47
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    If they are to the point where they cannot understand the difference between Right and Wrong, they need not be a member of society, or the human race, any longer than it takes to put a bullet in the back of their head.
    You need to change your lean from "very conservative" to "fascist."

  8. #48
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    If they are to the point where they cannot understand the difference between Right and Wrong, they need not be a member of society, or the human race, any longer than it takes to put a bullet in the back of their head.
    I know we've hashed this over before - and you're unwaivering in your view, we're unwaivering in ours. It's a moot debate,really.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    You need to change your lean from "very conservative" to "fascist."
    "Authoritarian" would actually be the proper term, but it wasn't available on the list.


    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I know we've hashed this over before - and you're unwaivering in your view, we're unwaivering in ours. It's a moot debate,really.
    I don't debate. It's a moot discussion. I'm perfectly comfortable standing before my Maker with my life. Can you say the same? If so, great.

  10. #50
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should We End The Insanity Plea?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    At whose expense? Do they have the money to pay for their treatment? You seem to place a much higher value on human beings than I do. Especially ones who cannot or will not live within society's standards and rules


    If they are incapable of understanding the standards and rules of society, nevermind living within them, then I see no use for them in society to begin with. Better that they be locked away or disposed of for society's betterment than that they continue to roam the streets degrading the quality of life for society as a whole.
    I'm perfectly fine with institutionalizing them if they are a danger to others, but a person is a person.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •