View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 361 to 368 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #361
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Meaning that the short-term memory is affected. Perhaps I wasn't specific enough but the point still stands.

    How specific would you like to be in debate because being obscenely technical can be annoying at best for all involved.
    No, short-term memory doesn't "fade". You not only weren't specific enough; you were wrong

    And no one was being overly "technical". You were corrected and couldn't handle it, so now you're complaining about being corrected with more accurate info.

    Pot does not cause memories to "fade". It interferes with a persons ability to form new memories
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #362
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Stop saying that I meant long-term memory. I never mentioned it.
    It's the only logical conclusion. Memories dont reside in short-term memory. If memories are going "fade" then it is long term memory that is being effected. Your ignorance of this fact is no excuse for your whining about being corrected with more accurate info
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Perhaps "fade" wasn't the right word to use when explaining that marijuana affects memory. Make sure you never use the wrong word in the future, Sangha.

    There are some studies that indicate marijuana does affect long-term memory, but I'll research it more in the future. This one makes me wonder:


    NIDA - Publications - Marijuana: Facts for Teens

    Q: What does marijuana do to the brain?
    A: Some studies show that when people have smoked large amounts of marijuana for years, the drug takes its toll on mental functions (4). Heavy or daily use of marijuana affects the parts of the brain that control memory, attention, and learning. A working short-term memory is needed to learn and perform tasks that call for more than one or two steps.

    Smoking marijuana causes some changes in the brain that are like those caused by cocaine, heroin, and alcohol. Scientists are still learning about the many ways that marijuana can affect the brain.

  4. #364
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Perhaps "fade" wasn't the right word to use when explaining that marijuana affects memory. Make sure you never use the wrong word in the future, Sangha.

    There are some studies that indicate marijuana does affect long-term memory, but I'll research it more in the future. This one makes me wonder:


    NIDA - Publications - Marijuana: Facts for Teens
    lol a .gov site? Don't waste my time.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #365
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Perhaps "fade" wasn't the right word to use when explaining that marijuana affects memory. Make sure you never use the wrong word in the future, Sangha.

    There are some studies that indicate marijuana does affect long-term memory, but I'll research it more in the future. This one makes me wonder:


    NIDA - Publications - Marijuana: Facts for Teens
    Fade was the wrong word to use. Thanks for FINALLY acknowledging that. When I say something unclear, I own up to it right away.

    And your quote says nothing about pot affecting long-term memory. I'm beginning to wonder about your history of pot use
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #366
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That's the issue here.
    Back to the original argument: so-what do you suggest? Pay them more than what the position usually pays?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #367
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Back to the original argument: so-what do you suggest? Pay them more than what the position usually pays?
    IMO, it depends on the difference in pay. If it's large, then they should pay them what they used to earn, or give them a higher paying position. Remember, the ADA does not apply to small businesses. Businesses large enough to fall under the ADA usually have a variety of job positions. In a trucking company specifically, the drivers are typically not the highest paid employees. The mgrs in charge of dispatching and loading the trucks make more
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #368
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    IMO, it depends on the difference in pay. If it's large, then they should pay them what they used to earn, or give them a higher paying position. Remember, the ADA does not apply to small businesses. Businesses large enough to fall under the ADA usually have a variety of job positions. In a trucking company specifically, the drivers are typically not the highest paid employees. The mgrs in charge of dispatching and loading the trucks make more
    Imo, if a job with equal pay is available, fine, he should get that job. If not- tough. All of us have problems. I have problems that prevent me from getting and/or keeping certain jobs. I don't realistically expect to get compensation for that.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •