View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #311
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Yes it is. And I haven't made up definitions here or in any other thread. Please don't lie or misrepresent my actions. I also haven't "dropped anything."
    Sure you have. YOu have claimed that disability does not apply to any condition that results from the individuals choices

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Just because disability has been redefined to protect people who have done harm to themselves doesn't mean they are actually disabled. And even if an alcoholic is really disabled, he or she still shouldn't be able to operate heavy machinery which would put the public in danger.
    The truth is, it's you who has re-defined the word. The dictionary uses the same definition as the law does, and neither says anything about people who have done harm to themselves. You just made that part up.

    "Reasonable accommodations" can be interpreted in a number of ways by either the employer or the employee.
    Any word can be interpeted in a number of ways. Just look at how you made up your own interpretation of the word "disability". However, the fact is that the law determines what a "reasonable accomodation" is and the law doesn't care how you, or the employer, or the employee interprets it
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #312
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Sure you have. YOu have claimed that disability does not apply to any condition that results from the individuals choices



    The truth is, it's you who has re-defined the word. The dictionary uses the same definition as the law does, and neither says anything about people who have done harm to themselves. You just made that part up.



    Any word can be interpeted in a number of ways. Just look at how you made up your own interpretation of the word "disability". However, the fact is that the law determines what a "reasonable accomodation" is and the law doesn't care how you, or the employer, or the employee interprets it
    My claim was that even though a disability can result from certain actions such as drinking too much, the decision to drink itself is not a disability. Therefore, alcoholics are not disabled. Get it?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #313
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    My claim was that even though a disability can result from certain actions such as drinking too much, the decision to drink itself is not a disability. Therefore, alcoholics are not disabled. Get it?
    Maybe that's what you meant, but that is not what you said. However, since you are now backing off from your former claim, I will accept that you realize that you mispoke

    Just because disability has been redefined to protect people who have done harm to themselves doesn't mean they are actually disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #314
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Maybe that's what you meant, but that is not what you said. However, since you are now backing off from your former claim, I will accept that you realize that you mispoke
    I have admitted no such thing, and neither does that statement contradict the point i just made. Try again.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #315
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I have admitted no such thing, and neither does that statement contradict the point i just made. Try again.
    It's what you said. Nice try at denying it

    Just because disability has been redefined to protect people who have done harm to themselves doesn't mean they are actually disabled
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #316
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    It's what you said. Nice try at denying it
    No matter how many times you quote that sentence, it wont say anything that contradicts what I am saying.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #317
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    My claim was that even though a disability can result from certain actions such as drinking too much, the decision to drink itself is not a disability. Therefore, alcoholics are not disabled. Get it?
    Unfortunately though, substance abuse/dependance is actually a disorder in itself. Often times people start using substances to self-medicate for existing mental health disorders; once they have used too many times they become dependent on the substance; this dependence is often not something that can be treated without intervention in most who have the disorder. Thus, most diagnosed with a substance abuse/dependence disorder have both the substance disorder and another co-morbid mental disorder. Additionally, substances often due not work well for self medication and use can often lead to legal problems. Therefore, long term substance abuse can exacerbate current symptoms and add new ones.

  8. #318
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Unfortunately though, substance abuse/dependance is actually a disorder in itself. Often times people start using substances to self-medicate for existing mental health disorders; once they have used too many times they become dependent on the substance; this dependence is often not something that can be treated without intervention in most who have the disorder. Thus, most diagnosed with a substance abuse/dependence disorder have both the substance disorder and another co-morbid mental disorder. Additionally, substances often due not work well for self medication and use can often lead to legal problems. Therefore, long term substance abuse can exacerbate current symptoms and add new ones.
    That's true, and I can relate that point. But the mental disorder would be the primary disorder. If substance abuse is a disorder, it would be the co-morbid disorder. It's a behavior based on a mental disorder.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  9. #319
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    That's true, and I can relate that point. But the mental disorder would be the primary disorder. If substance abuse is a disorder, it would be the co-morbid disorder. It's a behavior based on a mental disorder.
    Many therapists argue that all substance users have mental disorders - additionally, overuse of a substance can actually create a disorder itself!

  10. #320
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Many therapists argue that all substance users have mental disorders - additionally, overuse of a substance can actually create a disorder itself!
    I'd have to see a link. I have a good understanding of mental disorders, and I can relate to self medicating. I will concede that drinking and/or drug use can be (but not always) a co-morbid disorder.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •