View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Of course it's a disability. It's a self inflicted one though. If a drywaller decides to cut one of his arms off his employer is under no obligation to find him another postion to do a half assed job.

    If I was the employer, I'd llkely give the guy a chance to rehab BUT I would never allow him to drive again. I don't undertand though.....if the employer offers him a warehouse job and it pays less is the government saying they can't do that?

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    You can have physical withdrawals due to alcoholism, so yes it is a disability. Alcoholics are just as stuck as heroin addicts.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    This goes straight to the heart of the fact that we no longer expect anyone to take responsibility for their own actions, and that we as a society seem to want the Government to step in and make everything "fair" instead. Alcoholism is no more a disability than smoking is. It's a CHOICE. When you make choices you need to step up and accept responsibility for the consequences of those choices.

    Many of the people I work with are required to take drug & alcohol tests randomly because they hold Class A or B Commercial Driver's Licenses. If they fail a test they can be fired on the spot. Period. A chronic alcoholic has no right to suddenly claim they should be accomidated by their employer if they can no longer do the job they were hired to do. I say that as someone who has worked with several members of our engineering staff who were former linemen and whom the company made accomidations for after they were no longer able to do line work due to accidents.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    You can have physical withdrawals due to alcoholism, so yes it is a disability. Alcoholics are just as stuck as heroin addicts.
    They may be ADDICTIONS but they are not Disabilities. They're simply the end result of an inability to lead a moral and decent life.

  5. #25
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I generally disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability. But I've known two people in my lifetime whom I'd describe as sick/disabled because of it. They've both destroyed their families and careers and have gone to jail and prison, and one of them nearly burned himself to death. And yet cannot--cannot--stop drinking. They're sick, mentally sick, and cannot help themselves.
    I would agree that some people are more genetically predisposed to addiction than others. But I hesitate to consider addiction a disease because that essentially takes personal responsibility out of the equation. I have known many drug addicts, and not a single one of them take responsibility for their own actions. My husband's family is a prime example of this. Most of them are on crack or heroin. They are thieves, liars, and a drag on their families and society. And several of them have caused me problems because of their actions. I consider alcohol to be a drug, so to me, an alcoholic is just as culpable as a crack head or meth addict. They destroy lives.

    Should an alcoholic be a truck driver? Hell no! It's a matter of public safety, and to me, it is an outrage that this case was not immediately dismissed. If he wants to work somewhere that doesn't place the public at risk, fine. But for the love of god, not behind the wheel of a 12 ton rig!
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    They may be ADDICTIONS but they are not Disabilities. They're simply the end result of an inability to lead a moral and decent life.
    They are disabilities, medically speaking. It's no different than if someone is depressed, bipolar, psychotic, etc. There is a loss of control and function, and support is required.

    Your argument about morals is ignorant. Many alcoholics (the dependent kind) have pre-existing mental health conditions. It was not their morality which lead them to alcoholism but other factors.

    I'm glad people like you do not write policy in this country.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    They are disabilities, medically speaking. It's no different than if someone is depressed, bipolar, psychotic, etc. There is a loss of control and function, and support is required.

    Your argument about morals is ignorant. Many alcoholics (the dependent kind) have pre-existing mental health conditions. It was not their morality which lead them to alcoholism but other factors.
    You know what.... I've spent probably the last 25 years of my life mildly depressed. I've spent parts of the last decade much more than mildly depressed. I have never once turned to alcohol, tobacco, or drugs to deal with it. I simply suck it up, accept that life is a ball of crap, and MOVE ON WITH LIFE. Why is that? Because I was taught that no matter what hand you're dealt, you simply have to deal with it. The Fates can be cruel women when they spin the thread of our lives, but there is nothing any man or God can do to change that. Deal with it, or deal with the consequences of not dealing with it.

    [QUOTE=Temporal;1059773654I'm glad people like you do not write policy in this country.[/QUOTE]

    Yes you probably are very glad. I'd suggest that those individuals whose mental health and substance abuse issues put them in a situation to not be able to provide any benefit to society and instead take from society should be even happier that I don't write the policy.

  8. #28
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    It's not a disability, it's a type of stupidity!
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  9. #29
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Whether you want to call it a "disability" or not is of no consequence. We can call it a "hoobleynokiex" instead if you like. What matters is the actual policy and so far nobody has come up with any argument I've seen for why it isn't a good idea to forbid employers from firing people for being alcoholics if they seek treatment and kick the booze. Just seems like common sense to me. You want employees that need rehab to be able to go without fearing losing their jobs and it gives alcoholics a big incentive to quit drinking and stay quit. Don't get distracted by all the nonsense about personal responsibility and what term to call it and whatnot. That stuff is just spin. Does anybody have an argument against the actual policy?

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Whether you want to call it a "disability" or not is of no consequence. We can call it a "hoobleynokiex" instead if you like. What matters is the actual policy and so far nobody has come up with any argument I've seen for why it isn't a good idea to forbid employers from firing people for being alcoholics if they seek treatment and kick the booze.
    That's not the problem here. The company wasn't going to fire him.

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •