View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Irrelevant to the scenario we are discussing. As I said, the two situations are not comparable. Come up with one that is and maybe we can discuss it.
    Cop out. Nothing but a cop out. How do you know this isn't relative to this situation? The article noted that he was offered a job but it was a demotion. How exactly do you know that this isn't the only other job they have available?

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Protection over madness. People are typically not born alcoholics except in a very certain scenario. Alcoholics shouldn't be given benefits. I didn't know about this stuff, but now I feel a little paranoid when it comes to driving and big trucks. If people are going to do nothing to get alcoholics off the road, and instead defend and keep them on, well, is it fair to say this is another sign of the times? What next? Fat man sues McDonalds for getting fat? *******.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    Protection over madness. People are typically not born alcoholics except in a very certain scenario. Alcoholics shouldn't be given benefits. I didn't know about this stuff, but now I feel a little paranoid when it comes to driving and big trucks. If people are going to do nothing to get alcoholics off the road, and instead defend and keep them on, well, is it fair to say this is another sign of the times? What next? Fat man sues McDonalds for getting fat? *******.
    Just wait, that's the next lawsuit.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Just wait, that's the next lawsuit.
    The ironic part is that already happened. That's why we now have the list of calories on the back of the tray papers.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wake View Post
    The ironic part is that already happened. That's why we now have the list of calories on the back of the tray papers.
    Oh, I know that lawsuit happened, we have to protect people from their own stupidity. Now we have to think for them as well.

    No wonder America is going straight down the tubes.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #196
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    And if he's not qualified to hold any other position within the company? What then?
    In the unlikely event that accommodations could not be made, he would have to be let go. Better that than an alcoholic driving an 18 ton rig on the road with innocent bystanders. I would hate to have to kill someone and their entire family because they drove drunk and killed my kids. But that's what would happen. All of that death and blood shed could be prevented with a single ounce of common sense. Alcoholics and drug addicts do not deserve a protected status. And they should not be given jobs where they could possibly put others in danger. Furthermore, the truck company should not have to take on more risk to employ someone who is more likely to drive drunk than the general population.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  7. #197
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    In the unlikely event that accommodations could not be made, he would have to be let go. Better that than an alcoholic driving an 18 ton rig on the road with innocent bystanders. I would hate to have to kill someone and their entire family because they drove drunk and killed my kids. But that's what would happen. All of that death and blood shed could be prevented with a single ounce of common sense. Alcoholics and drug addicts do not deserve a protected status. And they should not be given jobs where they could possibly put others in danger. Furthermore, the truck company should not have to take on more risk to employ someone who is more likely to drive drunk than the general population.
    The problem is that people don't want them to be fired under any circumstances. It's not enough that they be removed from the driver position, they have to have another job offered, qualified or not. I agree, it's ridiculous.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #198
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well I know you know more about it - your post only addressed one very stereotypical drunk concept of an individual. . .seemed out of place.
    Sorry. I did speak on a sterotype that I have seen with my own eyes but it may have be unfair of me to do so without including the other side. You all know I am for everyone getting the help they need but I get a little sick of folks that need disability through no fault of their own getting turned down all the time when those that can hop on the labor truck daily get it.
    Last edited by Kali; 09-06-11 at 01:53 AM.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  9. #199
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Cop out. Nothing but a cop out. How do you know this isn't relative to this situation? The article noted that he was offered a job but it was a demotion. How exactly do you know that this isn't the only other job they have available?
    Not a cop out at all. Different scenarios. One was demoted for a disability, one for other reasons. Come up with something relevant and perhaps we can discuss it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #200
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    09-06-11 @ 05:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Is an addiction not a disability. It is an action that can be stopped if chosen, however- it can create a disability if used over long term (example alcoholic encephalopathy) or if used while pregnant (FAS Fetal alcohol Syndrome).

Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •