View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    For the same reason I would not support the company being liable for something bad happening as long as the company took reasonable precautions.
    But nobody is going to ask you and they are going to be held liable. Many of us noted that it would be slightly different at least if there was a way to remove this liability but there isn't.

    So your arguement boils down to one where you would not hold them liable but that's a fantasy position. We can't expect companies to operate under fantasy scenario's.

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    You can throw out all the red herrings you want. The basis for this discussion is that a worker is being demoted on the basis of a disability. Your scenario does not match that, so it is irrelevant to the discussion. I will not entertain you changing the goalposts.
    What has been presented are not factual (as far as we know) to the situation but they are logical as to what will happen somewhere.

    Driver pays $60,000 a year. It's the best job in the business. The company offers him another job in the warehouse but it pays $45,000. What are we supposed to do? Force the company pay him $60,000 for the warehouse job?

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    The man has a disability as defined by the ADA. The company broke the law by demoting him, not because of his actions, but because of his disability. He didn't do anything wrong, in fact he is effectively being punished for doing the right thing. Way to encourage openness! The simplest way to restore his losses is to reinstate him to the position he held before their illegal act.
    The company might then negotiate with him to find an accommodation acceptable to all, such as redeployment at the same rate of pay to a different role, with the man's agreement.
    And we wonder why so many jobs flee to other places.

  4. #174
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,210

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    We wonder why disabled Americans need a law to force employers to treat them fairly.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    We wonder why disabled Americans need a law to force employers to treat them fairly.
    I should let it go but let's break your arguement down. The guy is making $60,000 as a driver. He's offered continued employement but the only other jobs are warehouse jobs that pay $45,000. Your solution is that they should be forced to give him the warehouse job but still pay him the $60,000.

    That is a recipe for failure. On top of that, if it was a union shop, the employer would likely not be able to do this based upon their contract.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I keep hearing that people want a driver with an alcohol issue given a different job in the company he works for because his alcoholism is a disability. Who's to say that there is another job in the company that he IS qualified for?

    For example.... The vast majority of the senior linemen that work for the company I do would NOT be qualified for even the entry-level position in my department. They do not have the technical, computer, or inter-personal skills to work in the office environment. It would seem that you folks are suggesting that if these guys fail an alcohol test (which they are given randomly), that the company should MAKE a job for them, because there isn't one that doesn't require driving that they'd qualify for.
    That's exactly what I said and nobody had an answer for it then either. Funny, huh?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  7. #177
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    But nobody is going to ask you and they are going to be held liable. Many of us noted that it would be slightly different at least if there was a way to remove this liability but there isn't.

    So your arguement boils down to one where you would not hold them liable but that's a fantasy position. We can't expect companies to operate under fantasy scenario's.
    No, my argument does not boil down to fantasy at all. It boils down to things that the company can do to minimize the chance of liability. There are plenty of alternatives to what the company did... which under the current law, nets then a lawsuit. So, since their current actions will cause the company consequences, what all of YOU are talking about are fantasy positions. I am fine with the status quo. I'm just offering suggestions of how the company might protect themselves better. Now, you all can pretend that things are different, but they aren't. Like I said, the fantasy position is yours, not mine.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #178
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,711

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    What has been presented are not factual (as far as we know) to the situation but they are logical as to what will happen somewhere.

    Driver pays $60,000 a year. It's the best job in the business. The company offers him another job in the warehouse but it pays $45,000. What are we supposed to do? Force the company pay him $60,000 for the warehouse job?
    Irrelevant to the scenario we are discussing. As I said, the two situations are not comparable. Come up with one that is and maybe we can discuss it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #179
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, my argument does not boil down to fantasy at all. It boils down to things that the company can do to minimize the chance of liability. There are plenty of alternatives to what the company did... which under the current law, nets then a lawsuit. So, since their current actions will cause the company consequences, what all of YOU are talking about are fantasy positions. I am fine with the status quo. I'm just offering suggestions of how the company might protect themselves better. Now, you all can pretend that things are different, but they aren't. Like I said, the fantasy position is yours, not mine.
    The only alternative I can think of is giving him another position within the company. I would be ok with that. So long as he isn't on the road with me.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    rolleyes Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    What an interesting excu---scenario. People who willingly poison their bodies should not receive such status and protection. What would happen if the alcoholic truck driver kills a family while driving drunk? Support the irresponsible seems like the mindset of today.

Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •