View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRain View Post
    Okay, so on the topic of 'tactics' changing because of the administration in power & since you mention Ron Paul: where were the Libertarians/TP when Bush was spending more on Social programs then any other GOP president? Why were they silent when the 'Bush' Government 'forced' them to help others by dumping LOADS of money into welfare programs? Even if the answer is that Obama "changed the tactics" and is spending "more" than Bush...no one said a single thing about Bush's spending being unconstitutional. No one says the Government is wrong in 'forcing' citizens to fund the military industrial complex, etc.
    O.K. do you want to discuss what we were discussing or discuss Bush? What exactly does this have with my point? No, I do not wish to go off topic. If you wish to discuss this fine, I'll discuss it, but not here.

    So yes, agencies change with the Admin, sure, but the Constitution stays the same. If something is unconstitutional now, it was unconstitutional under Bush.
    So we now agree that your earlier description might not be quite correct? That this might have been done under the instructions of the current administration?

    I agree there are flaws with our Government. But I think it would be better if we found a way, as united people, to reform our Federal Government rather than dissemble it. People dont trust that States can handle things on their own. And no one seems to know what a "private organization" is past being a "private organization"... so it's not even an option.
    IMO, "The People" would pick a Progressive candidate over a Libertarian one. Libertarians seem too left and their answers are rather vague..
    Some things need transformed and some need dissembled.

  2. #142
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    I keep hearing that people want a driver with an alcohol issue given a different job in the company he works for because his alcoholism is a disability. Who's to say that there is another job in the company that he IS qualified for?

    For example.... The vast majority of the senior linemen that work for the company I do would NOT be qualified for even the entry-level position in my department. They do not have the technical, computer, or inter-personal skills to work in the office environment. It would seem that you folks are suggesting that if these guys fail an alcohol test (which they are given randomly), that the company should MAKE a job for them, because there isn't one that doesn't require driving that they'd qualify for.
    You guys are really fixating on this scenario where they need to switch jobs... That is a very oddball exception to the rule. Virtually always they would just keep them in the same job. The law makes exceptions for safety concerns, in which case they can be fired. The only time this oddball scenario would come up is if they employer thinks there is a safety concern that the EEOC doesn't think is legit... So to evaluate the policy based primarily on this 1 in a million quirky scenario makes no sense. The solution to these kinds of exceptions is either for the EEOC to expand its safety exception or for employers not to overreact. I don't know. But either way, evaluating the policy on this bizarre exception, that's like deciding what house you want to buy based primarily on whether or not they previous owner is willing to leave their door mat behind for you.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You guys are really fixating on this scenario where they need to switch jobs... That is a very oddball exception to the rule. Virtually always they would just keep them in the same job. The law makes exceptions for safety concerns, in which case they can be fired. The only time this oddball scenario would come up is if they employer thinks there is a safety concern that the EEOC doesn't think is legit... So to evaluate the policy based primarily on this 1 in a million quirky scenario makes no sense. The solution to these kinds of exceptions is either for the EEOC to expand its safety exception or for employers not to overreact. I don't know. But either way, evaluating the policy on this bizarre exception, that's like deciding what house you want to buy based primarily on whether or not they previous owner is willing to leave their door mat behind for you.
    So a company is supposed to maintain an individual with a known drinking problem in a position where they are required to drive a vehicle? Are you NUTS? Think about the potential liability of that for just a couple seconds.

  4. #144
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    So a company is supposed to maintain an individual with a known drinking problem in a position where they are required to drive a vehicle? Are you NUTS? Think about the potential liability of that for just a couple seconds.
    What? I'm not saying that. Re-read my post.

  5. #145
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post

    I do believe the employer policy should stand in this case, and the Fox story identifies the Obama policies, which are pushed through his administration to his appointees. It's not only a fair assessment but an accurate one.
    I agree the employer policy should stand in this case.

    I disagree that Fox presented it clearly regarding "Obama admin sues".

    In fact, as I pointed out it was enacted in 2008 under a different administration .That driver used that Act to make his own personal case. Please link me directly to something that shows Obama sued or support your premise that Fox is reporting correctly he directly initiated or his admin sued this company?

    Again, the many points made about ETOH addiction are well understood by me as well so those who made those points I listened carefully and I do understand however I would rule on the side of the trucking company in this specific case. One reason being ... he does not work under supervision and could harm others.

    Back to the Fox reporting ... they took the case reported from source that I linked ... and added Obama admin sues ... Ockham could you support your premise that Fox News has any basis to this claim?
    [/QUOTE]

  6. #146
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I agree the employer policy should stand in this case.

    I disagree that Fox presented it clearly regarding "Obama admin sues".

    In fact, as I pointed out it was enacted in 2008 under a different administration .That driver used that Act to make his own personal case. Please link me directly to something that shows Obama sued or support your premise that Fox is reporting correctly he directly initiated or his admin sued this company?
    Quote Originally Posted by EEOC
    The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) was enacted on September 25, 2008, and became effective on January 1, 2009. The law made a number of significant changes to the definition of “disability” under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It also directed the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to amend its ADA regulations to reflect the changes made by the ADAAA. The EEOC issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) on September 23, 2009. The final regulations were approved by a bipartisan vote and were published in the Federal Register on March 25, 2011.

    The ADAA changes were done in 2009 per the EEOC link, as were the notice of changes on Sept 23, 2009. That I believe constitutes the current administration.

    Fact Sheet on the EEOC’s Final Regulations Implementing the ADAAA


    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Again, the many points made about ETOH addiction are well understood by me as well so those who made those points I listened carefully and I do understand however I would rule on the side of the trucking company in this specific case. One reason being ... he does not work under supervision and could harm others.
    It's unfortunate that the EEOC do not see the interpretation of the ADA changes the same way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Back to the Fox reporting ... they took the case reported from source that I linked ... and added Obama admin sues ... Ockham could you support your premise that Fox News has any basis to this claim?
    See my prior posts on the subject in this thread.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    The ADAA changes were done in 2009 per the EEOC link, as were the notice of changes on Sept 23, 2009. That I believe constitutes the current administration.

    Fact Sheet on the EEOC’s Final Regulations Implementing the ADAAA
    .
    Here from your fact sheet;

    The ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) was enacted on September 25, 2008, and became effective on January 1, 2009. The law made a number of significant changes to the definition of “disability” under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). It also directed the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) to amend its ADA regulations to reflect the changes made by the ADAAA. The EEOC issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) on September 23, 2009. The final regulations were approved by a bipartisan vote and were published in the Federal Register on March 25, 2011.
    The driver contacted the EEOC and has a fair case against the trucking firm ... however there are mitigating factors and I personally would rule in favor of the trucking firm despite the fact the driver had no violations and openly admitted he thought he might have a problem with ETOH.

    However the ACT in which he used for his case was enacted in 2008 and became effective january1, 2009 ... long before Obama took office. A bipartisan vote on the final regulations was approved and published in 2011.

    The leader to the news feed said Obama admin sues. You are not stupid ... this is a thinly veiled attempt for those unable to understand or critically think to paint a fraudulent picture of the news story.

    You know it and I know it and so does anyone reading this that the driver felt discriminated since he came forward with his problem and sought help and was demoted. I applaud the driver yet again, I agree the company has a right to have strict polices on any condition ...disabled or not that impacts safety.

    In fact, the "story" was taken from a hack site that actually said "Obama wants drunk driver on the road".

    To Fox News ... (rolls eyes) ... not everyone gets caught in emotion of the story and cusses out that damn black Obama for "wantin drunks on ther road". Some of us actually process all of it.

    In fact, they wanted to discuss the disease and how such cases should be handled Fox wold have reported it accurately. It was a thinly veiled ruse under the guise of a story.
    Last edited by Turin; 09-04-11 at 09:03 PM.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Interesting that Fox News chose not to explore the ACT this individual is using to sue his employer. Instead ... Obama sues? I knew Fox catered to the uneducated crowd ... yet did they think Americans would be that gullible?

    Press Conference and House Vote - House Leaders, Disability Community, Business Community to Hold ADA Amendments Act of 2008 Press Conference. - American Association of People with Disabilities
    Last edited by Turin; 09-04-11 at 09:11 PM.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    01-05-17 @ 02:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,479

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Here is the ACT amendment. Nothing has been amended under alcoholism since 2008. That employee (who sounds reasonably responsible) sought help for what he felt was ETOH issues with his Employees Assistance Program. He had never had a violation.

    I would rule with the employer's right to restrict his job duties; however the employee feeling his rights had been violated sought legal help from the EEOC.

    The Americans with Disabilities Act: Applying Performance and Conduct Standards to Employees with Disabilities

    Fox News and various right hack site are reporting this case with headlines such as Obama sues for drunk etc ... Does anyone else agree this is intentionally misleading reporting?

    Ockham .. hacks use thinly veiled stories with partial facts. Fox might be leader of this tabloid game ... yet most of the corporate networks are guilty.

    It would be just as ludicrous to say GW Bush supports suing trucking company since he signed the law or that Boehner wants drunks on the road as he supported this amendment.

    Seriously the opener to your link ...Obama admin suing trucking company was thinly veiled new flash.
    Last edited by Turin; 09-04-11 at 09:47 PM.

  10. #150
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    I am not sure but I do know that a lot of whinos draw a check every month due to their drinking. It pisses me off as they wanna give sober people with real medical issues a hard time but giving these folks a check? I don't like it as the only thing wrong with them is their desire to drink plus a lot of times they do work under the table via construction work. There is a place in my town to where all the wineos wait each morning to be picked up to go to work under the table and these places pick them up in trucks to do side jobs and labor and pay them at the end of the day. Also they drink from sunrise to sunset. Cannot be safe but guess it does not matter as it is cheap labor. They mainly show up when there disability checks have been ran through on drinking and a lot of them also smoke of the crack.

    It is not that I do not feel for them as alcoholism is a disease. But it is one that can be helped if you are willing to get treatment and it is a somewhat self inflicted disease (even though there is proof that it is gentic too or can be). What bugs me is so many folks that need disabilty through no fault of their own but are denied yet here are these folks drinking themselves to death get these checks.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

Page 15 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •