View Poll Results: Is alcohol abuse a disability; do you agree or disagree with the EEOC?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    4 9.09%
  • I agree alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    3 6.82%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I agree with the EEOC position

    2 4.55%
  • I disagree that alcohol abuse is a disability, I disagree with the EEOC position

    25 56.82%
  • Rutabega

    3 6.82%
  • Other (Explain please)

    7 15.91%
Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 368

Thread: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    Being an alcoholic is a disability, irregardless of the fact that it's self-inflicted. You're still disabled if you cut off your own feet.
    If it's self-inflicted then it shouldn't be up to ME or anyone else to help you out because of it. Ever hear of something called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,212

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    It is a disability, but as with so many things from Faux News, there is much more to it than the story. It requires a bit of critical thinking, something you will not find that works well with Fox. The ADA - has anyone read the law? - mandates reasonable accommodation. I do not think that it is reasonable for a transportation company to routinely hire drug addicts and alcoholics as drivers. I don't believe that it is reasonable for a person who has a clear record of alcohol abuse to the point that it becomes a disability to expect to be hired as a freight hauler. What would be expected if a driver began to develop macular degeneration? Macular degeneration constitutes a disability. Would you honestly expect that person to drive? I wouldn't. It would be unreasonable.

    The OP is exactly the kind of crap that Fox and uninformed Absolutists jump on. Alcoholism is a disability, however, the ADA does not mandate that alcoholics be permitted to have any job they want. That's bull**** and the ADA doesn't say that. It is reasonable to assume that deaf people not be given jobs as sonar operators, it is reasonable that blind people not be given jobs as air traffic controllers. It is reasonable that alcoholics not be given jobs as commercial drivers.

    What Faux News has done - as usual - is stir the pot for people who are too willfully ignorant to analyze the information they are given and the way it is present, by Fox. The story here is actually about the fact that the guy was provided a lesser paying position. If that is all that is available then that is all there is. It is unreasonable for Old Dominion to create a position for the driver. That would be wrong.

    I am an employer, I think Republican partisans now call that a "job creator". I have experience with EEOC and from first hand experience I can tell you that EEOC lawyers can be wrong and have been wrong. The ADA isn't a bad law and like good laws it is left to interpretation.
    Great post, thanks.

  3. #113
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Because it can be treated and cured with reasonable medical intervention.
    So can homosexuality... doesn't mean we should do it though.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #114
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,212

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    They are disabilities, medically speaking. It's no different than if someone is depressed, bipolar, psychotic, etc. There is a loss of control and function, and support is required.

    Your argument about morals is ignorant. Many alcoholics (the dependent kind) have pre-existing mental health conditions. It was not their morality which lead them to alcoholism but other factors.

    I'm glad people like you do not write policy in this country.
    Exactly, thank you for that

  5. #115
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    If it's self-inflicted then it shouldn't be up to ME or anyone else to help you out because of it. Ever hear of something called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY?
    Who is proposing that anyone help out alcoholics? The policy is just that companies can't fire them for being alcoholics if they go into treatment and stay off the booze.

  6. #116
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I liked reading everyone's discussion of the issue and many good points made.

    Ockham ... I looked at the case from the source ... and my point about Fox news using this case as thinly veiled story and opening it with "Obama is suing private company" was journalism malpractice as best. Why not use the source itself instead of an infotainment sources that adds absurd statements to manipulate their uneducated viewers that obama was going to tell them what to do ... in this case ... the people appointed when the law was enacted were appointed by Bush. Be clear though ... I am not pulling a Fox News stunt. I am simply pointing out their tactics that are a directive by the network to the people presenting. They are to directed to report events many can agree with and insert "obama caused this" into in order to get mindset of manipulation.
    I've already addressed this and while the statement is biased, it's also factual. I can see no fault in the facts as provided by Fox News. You may not like the source, but it is accurate. I'm not addressing tactics as they are irrelevant - I'm discussing the facts as they were written.

    Second, the rules and definitions were changed within the last year --- that is per the Obama administrations guidelines to the EEOC, through the OIG and HHS..

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    This is a fascinating case ... in two respects.

    The first is the circumstances of the case and the self reporting driver and should he protected under the law? I could make a fair case either way ... yet I am leaning towards the employer should be able to make this call.

    Next, that Fox news reports the story of this case decided on a 2008 law with appointees of the previous administration and opens their story with Obama sues! ... this leads me to beieve it is thinly veiled story as Fox had directive to presenters of stories to use Obama as the core fault on issues unrelated.
    I do believe the employer policy should stand in this case, and the Fox story identifies the Obama policies, which are pushed through his administration to his appointees. It's not only a fair assessment but an accurate one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Suggestion ... why use a known tabloid infotainment station geared towards a 6th grade educated mind they can manipulate ... that takes stories with threads of truth and inserts semantics to skew the reality of the issue being discussed.
    Why buy into liberal propaganda that has been manipulated for decades? I find the irony of calling out manipulation and mindless rhetoric with the opposite mindless rhetoric quite amusing. Here's another suggestion: Deal with the facts and discuss the topic. If you have specific evidence that is incorrect in the article, post it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I linked the actual case ... including the year this act was put in place.
    Certainly the EEOC is one side of the story... there are always two sides.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Who is proposing that anyone help out alcoholics? The policy is just that companies can't fire them for being alcoholics if they go into treatment and stay off the booze.
    Keeping them emplyed IS helping them out.

  8. #118
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Keeping them emplyed IS helping them out.
    No, it isn't helping them, it's just not hurting them. It doesn't put the employer out any, since they only need to keep them employed if they really kick the booze for good.

  9. #119
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    One of the problems that arises from the law requiring a job reassignment is that jobs are usually not vacant and waiting for someone like this to fill them.

    Many of the bleeding hearts here feel bad for the driver because he is being punished for his disability. Who here weeps for the warehouse worker for is bumped from his $40,000 per year job to the next lowest job which involves truck detailing and pays $30,000 per year? What has this person done to deserve a demotion? Can he go to the EEOC and demand that they fight to bring him justice?

  10. #120
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Is alcohol abuse a "disability"?

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No, it isn't helping them, it's just not hurting them. It doesn't put the employer out any, since they only need to keep them employed if they really kick the booze for good.
    What?? Of course it puts the employer out. They have to put this worker into some job, which means either firing someone else (not likely - employers really don't like firing innocent people for something someone else has done) or creating a make-work job that they don't need just so that this employee can work.

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •