View Poll Results: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legal. The USA's got it right. Legal radar detectors are a blow for freedom.

    24 77.42%
  • Illegal. Canada's got it right. Radar detectors help law breakers.

    7 22.58%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

  2. #2
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    They should be legal.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #3
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?
    Who uses radar?

  4. #4
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    Who uses radar?
    Uhhhh, law enforcement.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #5
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    I should clarify. They're illegal in some provinces in Canada, but not all.

  6. #6
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I should clarify. They're illegal in some provinces in Canada, but not all.
    They're illegal in some states in the US but not all. Why don't you find out before posting, and then posting a poll that is against radar detectors in each choice.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #7
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    I should clarify. They're illegal in some provinces in Canada, but not all.
    Similarly, they're illegal in certain states. They should be illegal. There is not a single purpose for them other than to help someone break the law.

    One way to avoid this discussion completely is my project I'm working on for self-driving automobiles. Just for those who like to speed to get to their destination faster, note that a system of self-driving automobiles would allow us to use speeds greater than current speed limits in many areas and would prevent traffic jams.

    Just as a little math to support my statement, let's suppose your job is on the weekdays and my system saves you 5 minutes getting to work. Then you'll save 52,000 minutes over the course of your standard 20 year career. Furthermore, when you are in the car you can do what you want (eat, sleep, read, etc.), so you're actually saving more.
    Last edited by Mathematician; 09-02-11 at 10:12 PM.
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  8. #8
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Radar and speed camera (GPS) detectors are legal in the UK. The logic is that speed cameras are set up in places with an increased risk of speed related incidents, so the sites are freely advertised in order to reduce speeds, not catch speeders per se.
    Personally I reckon the radar detectors are a waste of money, since if you can detect the radar, it's detected you, and you don't have time to slow down.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  9. #9
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    They're illegal in some states in the US but not all. Why don't you find out before posting, and then posting a poll that is against radar detectors in each choice.
    You need to re-read. The first choice is pro radar detector, calling them a blow for freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Similarly, they're illegal in certain states. They should be illegal. There is not a single purpose for them other than to help someone break the law.

    One way to avoid this discussion completely is my project I'm working on for self-driving automobiles. Just for those who like to speed to get to their destination faster, note that a system of self-driving automobiles would allow us to use speeds greater than current speed limits in many areas and would prevent traffic jams.

    Just as a little math to support my statement, let's suppose your job is on the weekdays and my system saves you 5 minutes getting to work. Then you'll save 52,000 minutes over the course of your standard 20 year career. Furthermore, when you are in the car you can do what you want (eat, sleep, read, etc.), so you're actually saving more.
    I remember reading an article about computer-driven cars. There are big tech hurdles before it's feasible. One existing technology to prevent speeding is cruise control. It's really easy to accidentally speed, especially on long trips where you can forget to pay attention to your speed. With cruise control, you can just put in what speed you want to go and it keeps it that way.
    Last edited by Luna Tick; 09-02-11 at 10:38 PM.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Should radar detectors be legal (as in the USA) or illegal (as in Canada)?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    Radar and speed camera (GPS) detectors are legal in the UK. The logic is that speed cameras are set up in places with an increased risk of speed related incidents, so the sites are freely advertised in order to reduce speeds, not catch speeders per se.
    Personally I reckon the radar detectors are a waste of money, since if you can detect the radar, it's detected you, and you don't have time to slow down.
    With Lidar the chances of detecting it before it has caught you is small, but in the case of radar, provided it is not instant on, and being used on a low traffic area, the ability of the detector to catch the X or K band radar is very good before it gets you
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •