View Poll Results: Is this raffle in extremely bad taste?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the republicans should be ashamed

    17 29.82%
  • No, everyone should really just relax

    34 59.65%
  • Other, I can't commit to yes or no

    6 10.53%
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 263

Thread: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

  1. #161
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I submit a honest answer to your question:

    1. Cars are designed, manufactured, and sold with the intent of transporting people. Alternatively, they can occasionally be used in other applications (racing, or as a weapon).

    2. Guns are designed, manufactured, and sold with the intent of killing living things. That a particular gun may never be used for that purpose has no bearing on the original intent of the device. Alternatively, they can occasionally be used in other applications (target shooting, or, I presume, to brandish at burglars or muggers {not a recommended activity, I've heard}).
    Should we outlaw knives, too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #162
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Should we outlaw knives, too?
    If you can quote me saying that we should outlaw anything, then we can have a conversation.

    In the meantime, enjoy your discussion with your strawman. . . .

  3. #163
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Crow View Post
    It just happens that they are raffling the same "TYPE" gun that was used in the Gifford's shooting. We must remember that the gun they are raffling is not the SAME gun used in the shooting, let's remember that the individual did it and not the gun, guns don't fire by themselves. It just happens that this particular gun is very popular.
    They would make a helluva lot more money, if they raffled the actual pistol that shot Giffords. The rifle that killed Kennedy brought $45,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #164
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    If you can quote me saying that we should outlaw anything, then we can have a conversation.

    In the meantime, enjoy your discussion with your strawman. . . .
    What's your argument, then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #165
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What's your argument, then?
    The search function is a wonderful thing....

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl, in post #84 View Post
    Bingo, you hit it there. The GOP/Tea Party has been very 'in-your-face' as of late, and this certainly seems to be a premeditated example of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl, in post #112 View Post
    [...] The point of the OP, if I may be so bold and if I may return to the original premise of the thread, is that a hi-capacity pistol is a rather odd thing for a political party to be raffling off in order to raise funds, especially in the district where a Congresswoman was recently shot with the same brand and style of firearm. The OP has a valid point. [...]

    As was noted earlier, this is likely an intentional provocation by the local GOP. Otherwise they are rather dense (and I doubt that is the case).
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl, in post #151 View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that it shouldn't happen (I'm certainly not), but rather pointing out the somewhat barbaric and in-your-face confrontational aspects of it. Raising awareness, if you will. Debating the issue will not deter the supporters of stunts like this, nor will it sooth the detractors; the goal is to reach, illuminate, and perhaps convince the so-called silent majority (independents and moderates).

    Considering the plethora of in-your-face GOP/Tea Party tactics of late, we'll see how that has worked out for them come November of 2012 (unless they suddenly reverse course or moderate their antics).
    ....if it's still unclear, I'm agreeing with the OP.

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z, in the OP View Post
    GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate : The Two-Way : NPR
    The Pima County (Arizona) Republican Party's decision to raffle off a Glock 23 .40-caliber handgun has generated some sharp criticism because not only is Pima County part of Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' district, but also because the gun used in January to kill six people and wound 13 others, including Giffords, was a Glock.
    So a Glock is the only thing they could think of to raffle?!? Really!?! Wouldn't a better choice be something that everyone would want? Oh, and it is insanely insensitive.

  6. #166
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What's your argument, then?
    anything that makes the individual less dependent on the government is anathema to communists?



  7. #167
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,452

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The search function is a wonderful thing....







    ....if it's still unclear, I'm agreeing with the OP.
    So, does that mean you're pro-gun rights, anti-gun rights, or just here to muck up the thread with Left wing crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dixieland South
    Last Seen
    10-11-11 @ 09:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    364

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    There are so many closed minded anti-gun people out there.

    Something for those folk to consider, that hate guns and call it the number one weapon for killing another living thing.

    The very first killing weapon created by humans was a bladed object. And till today it is the number one choice of a killing weapon.

    It's inexpensive, easy to hide/conceal, anyone can get one, and makes no loud noise.

    And this question may seem morbid.
    But if you were to be confronted by a bad guy, would you prefer to be shot, or have your throat sliced, and stabed in the gut?.

  9. #169
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, does that mean you're pro-gun rights, anti-gun rights, or just here to muck up the thread with Left wing crap?
    I find it odd that anyone could come to the conclusion that the OP is about gun rights.

    Now that a smokescreen of gun rights would be floated as a red herring in order to cover up GOP 'bad behavior', well, I wouldn't find that odd at all

  10. #170
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: GOP's Gun Raffle In Giffords' District Sparks Hot Debate

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I find it odd that anyone could come to the conclusion that the OP is about gun rights.

    Now that a smokescreen of gun rights would be floated as a red herring in order to cover up GOP 'bad behavior', well, I wouldn't find that odd at all
    there is no bad behavior. Just pavlovian reactions from the loony left



Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •