View Poll Results: Should the woman's choice dictate that the man has to pay child support?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Should the woman be responsible for her own choice to not abort?

    16 37.21%
  • Should the man be forced to pay child support due to the choice of the woman?

    14 32.56%
  • Other option?

    13 30.23%
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 280

Thread: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

  1. #131
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Are you really suggesting that if a woman can't afford a child without the father's financial support, she should have an abortion or give her baby up for adoption?
    Cant answer for him but for me YES i would at least suggest that as it is ONE of the responsible choices if financially its impossible.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #132
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Cant answer for him but for me YES i would at least suggest that as it is ONE of the responsible choices if financially its impossible.
    I'm pro-choice, but I don't agree that abortion should be a substitute for paternal responsibility.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #133
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I'm pro-choice, but I don't agree that abortion should be a substitute for paternal responsibility.
    and im fine with that opinion but some view it as doing their parental responsibility. Opinions vary.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #134
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    Cant answer for him but for me YES i would at least suggest that as it is ONE of the responsible choices if financially its impossible.
    It is one responsible choice, but it is unacceptable to many people. Many people are very religious and would never dream of having an abortion. Even among those who aren't, many would view it as a heartbreaking decision and might opt against it. To say "the woman should have had an abortion" is, to many people, saying that she should have committed murder if she didn't want to raise the child by herself. While I don't agree with that assessment, I respect their moral viewpoint and I'm certainly not comfortable with the law strongarming women into having an abortion against their morals (which is exactly what would happen).

    Some people want to deny the human element even exists in this discussion. Just because something is LEGAL doesn't mean that it should be forced (or at least strongly favored) by the government when it's something that a lot of people have serious moral objections to. I would liken it to denying someone financial assistance for being a lazy freeloader, because there was a job available in a porno and they refused to take it (which actually happened in Germany a few years ago).
    Last edited by Kandahar; 09-09-11 at 02:04 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #135
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    It is one responsible choice, but it is unacceptable to many people. Many people are very religious and would never dream of having an abortion. Even among those who aren't, many would view it as a heartbreaking decision and might opt against it. To say "the woman should have had an abortion" is, to many people, saying that she should have committed murder if she didn't want to raise the child by herself. While I don't agree with that assessment, I respect their moral viewpoint and I'm certainly not comfortable with the law strongarming women into having an abortion against their morals (which is exactly what would happen).

    Some people want to deny the human element even exists in this discussion. Just because something is LEGAL doesn't mean that it should be forced (or at least strongly favored) by the government when it's something that a lot of people have serious moral objections to. I would liken it to denying someone financial assistance as a lazy freeloader because there was a job available in a porno and they refused to take it (which actually happened in Germany a few years ago).
    at first I though what a good thoughtful post, I may not agree but I to also respect others opinions

    BUT THEN

    I got to the bolded part which is pure nonsense and more dishonesty
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #136
    Educator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    12-06-15 @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,226

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    this was brought up already and addressed.
    In reality the child isnt effected by forced "child support" so that debate is pointless
    Says who? How is it that the child is not effected by his parents neglect?

    the other argument about men getting an abortion if a doctor will do it is just dishonest and nonsense.
    It is not. The op argued that abortion gave some right to women that was not enjoyed by men. That is not true. Men enjoy the same right to control their own body. A man's control over his reproductive acts and his part in human reproduction ends when he plants his seed. A woman's clearly does not end at that point. You cant change a fact of biology via the law.

    Also just to be clear I dont think anybody in the thread wants the man to be able to FORCE the women to give birth, not saying you said that just making that clear.
    Human beings have a long childhood and require a large amount of care in childhood. The state has some duty to ensure that their welfare is protected but the burden of care can only justly fall on the parents. Fathers should not be allowed to deny their responsibility to help care for the child.

  7. #137
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,787

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Says who? How is it that the child is not effected by his parents neglect?
    says me and dont play word games with me and appeal to emotion it wont work LMAO
    neglect? really because some dad beat dad giving his $200 dollars a month, when he actually does it, but never does anything else is the opposite of neglect???

    give me a break, like I said this is about REALITY and TRYING to force a person to pay money every month that has no want to be a parent does just about NOTHING for the kid. Thats the reality. and thats why you point is moot because it doesnt have and substantial effect.



    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    It is not. The op argued that abortion gave some right to women that was not enjoyed by men. That is not true. Men enjoy the same right to control their own body. A man's control over his reproductive acts and his part in human reproduction ends when he plants his seed. A woman's clearly does not end at that point. You cant change a fact of biology via the law.
    yes it is nonsense and dishonesty, its just like the morons that say gays have the same rights as straight because they too can merry whoever they want if its the opposite sex, its stupid and dishonest.

    Nobody is trying to change biology the objective people are just trying to use reality.
    Nobody wants to fore women to give birth but the fact remains they can get abortions with or without the guys say (THE WAY IT SHOULD BE) but the laws dont reflect that and make it fair and equal.

    So yes saying a guy is free to get an abortion if a doctor will do it is in reality, nonsense. lol





    Quote Originally Posted by RStringfield View Post
    Human beings have a long childhood and require a large amount of care in childhood. The state has some duty to ensure that their welfare is protected but the burden of care can only justly fall on the parents. Fathers should not be allowed to deny their responsibility to help care for the child.
    1. BOTH PARENTS CAN ALREADY DO THIS by adoption or god forbid just barely care for the kid or worse abuse it

    2. ON PARENT can avoid this by getting an abortion but if she choices not to it FORCES the guy. Her CHOICE, FORCES the guy and thats the issue. Meanwhile his choices dont matter.

    this is the hear of the debate and why it needs fixed.


    TRYING to force a person to give child support that doesnt want to be a parent fixes little to nothing LOL

    the rights of the man and women must be as close to equal as possible, currently they are not, the are bias, unfair and discriminative.

    If the law is changed that the man can agree to give up all rights to the kid in the same time frame as the women must decide if she wants to abort that would be more fair and just. And the welfare of the child would be impacted just about NIL for obvious reasons.

    The opposite option should also exist but Im sure would be much more unlikely. The women could also agree not to abort if she chooses but give up the child to the man.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #138
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,277

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I'm pro-choice, but I don't agree that abortion should be a substitute for paternal responsibility.
    That's because as a man, you're ready to subvert yourself to women. Equal rights mean equal rights, not a reversal of perceived roles. You want to get punked on the question of procreation, please make that choice for yourself. I was born with the right to procreate, and no govt has the right to take that away. And if they give that control to women, then women need to pay the price for it.

    Harsh yes, for what I consider unconstitutional transfer of rights.
    Last edited by American; 09-10-11 at 09:54 AM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #139
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by Centrist77 View Post
    2. ONE PARENT can avoid this by getting an abortion but if she choices not to it FORCES the guy. Her CHOICE, FORCES the guy and thats the issue. Meanwhile his choices dont matter.

    The opposite option should also exist but Im sure would be much more unlikely. The women could also agree not to abort if she chooses but give up the child to the man.
    What if the woman forces the man to have sex with her? Then, can he choose abortion over her will?

    I find it interesting that many of the supporters for the woman's choice in the discussion feel like the man made his decision and took the responsibility when he chose to have sex. I agree (use a condom, dummy). But, what is it that makes people think the man should be accountable for his actions/decision in taking care of the conceived child, but not the woman? Why shouldn't the woman be equally responsible for her decision to have sex (use the pill/diaphragm, dummy) in taking care of the conceived child. Why does she get to say "kill it" but he doesn't get equal say?

    If the right to choose is going to be legal, I think either party should have the right to defend the life of the child if they want to keep it and the other party should pay to support it, too. If one of them wants to kill it, I go back to "too bad", you should have thought of that earlier. Killing for convenience doesn't make any sense.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

  10. #140
    Advisor GreenvilleGrows's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    My version of reality
    Last Seen
    10-05-12 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    566

    Re: Should Woman's Choice Trump the Man's??

    Quote Originally Posted by GreenvilleGrows View Post
    Killing for convenience doesn't make any sense.
    Oh, and I use the term "killing" because to one of the parties in the above, that's what it is regardless of the legal definition.
    The US is an odd ship. The captain yells out when he sees obtacles , but 535 individual propellers do the steering.

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •