Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 422

Thread: Child Support Payments

  1. #231
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What part of, "you can't legally force a woman to abort a child, but you can damn-well force a woman to get off her lazy **** and support that child", don't you understand?
    I am sure you will have no problem finding a quote of me stating that a woman can be legally forced to have an abortion then... right? No? Didn't think so.

    Anything else or was a Straw Man your best argument?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #232
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,129

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    How come most people with this argument ignore the fact that the woman is chooing to have the child against the man's wish?
    the father made his choice when he agreed to plant the seed

    Also, why do poeple ignore that she can simply have an abortion if she doesn't want to support the child on her own?
    she may have a religious belief which prevents her from exercising that option. it's her body, her decision, for whatever reason

    and she is responsible for supporting the child - just as is the father who contributed the seed

    It's like ZOOOOOOOOOOM!

    nope, it's more like get out your check book and stroke that for a change

    time to man up and assume your responsibilities as a father. and please, do not foist them off on the taxpayer

    ...right over their heads.
    just write the check
    18 years will go by quickly
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  3. #233
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    a man cannot legally abort his unwanted fetus, a woman can. since it takes both to make the fetus, it is as much his as it is hers.
    If he is carring it he can.
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  4. #234
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,589
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    because it's not about the baby. it's about the power. that is the 600 pound gorilla in the room of abortion debate.
    And there we have it. Power. Women have power over their own reproductive process. Women... have... power... That's the crux of the matter right there. The testosterone stench in this thread is overwhelming. Men want power... they want ALL the power... and when it comes to the one thing they cannot control, a woman's right to choose, their masculine rage is uncontrollable. Imagine a mere female, chattel, has power over a man! A man! Unthinkable. They must wretch back control by force, if necessary, forcing a woman to bring an unwanted pregnancy to term, and then forcing her to either be tied to the child's father forever or support the child on her own... and men must have the POWER to make that choice for her.

    It's so clear to me now. It's not about the rights of the father. It's not even about the ethics of abortion or the money. It's all about power... and those men who can't stand that there is any situation in which a woman would have power, and they don't.

    I think we've pretty much summed up the OP and nailed it.

    /thread
    Last edited by DiAnna; 09-01-11 at 11:02 PM.

  5. #235
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I'm not Catholic (in fact, I'm atheist). Sperm isn't human life. Left to its own development it won't make a human. It must combine with an egg to create human life. By what you say, the menstrual cycle should be considered abortion. And that's clearly non-sense.
    Of course neither will a fertilized egg.

    It requires (currently) a host body to allow it to develop. Generally a host body is required to a minumum of 5 months before it has a chance surviving without the host body

    ( yes I know you know that already
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #236
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:12 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,809

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    the father made his choice when he agreed to plant the seed


    she may have a religious belief which prevents her from exercising that option. it's her body, her decision, for whatever reason

    and she is responsible for supporting the child - just as is the father who contributed the seed


    nope, it's more like get out your check book and stroke that for a change

    time to man up and assume your responsibilities as a father. and please, do not foist them off on the taxpayer


    just write the check
    18 years will go by quickly
    So your argument is, just pay? The law is unequal and should be challenged and overturned as illegal... but, just pay?

    Okee Dokee...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #237
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    If a woman chooses to keep her pregnancy and have a child against the man's wishes and she chooses to not use her legal option of birth control and have an abortion, should the man have to pay child suport for her choice. Should the man have to pay Child Support if he does not want the child and the woman decides to not opt to have an abortion as a means of contraception?

    I think that he should not be legally liable if he does not want the child.

    The woman has all the choice and can not only keep the baby and make him pay, but she can keep the baby, not tell him about the baby and then hit him up 18 years later for back Child Support.This thread is not about a woman's right to choose. That is legal and fine and all that.

    This thread is about a woman's choice subjegating a man to the role of a wallet for 18 years due to the whim of a woman's choice to keep a child against his wishes. Before we hear the whole, he shoulda kept it in his pants and now he has no choice in the matter.

    That is understood. That is the law. The issue is, is the law fair?

    As far as I am aware, there is no case law that deals with him being forced due to her choice. There is law about her having a choice, but none about why he should have to pay for her choice. That being said, this thread is not about the law, but about what is right. This is also not about exceptions: ie, she found out 5 months into her pregnancy due to irregular cycles, etc.

    This is about the woman that gets pregnant when the man wants to leave the marriage, or the woman that pricks the condom when having sex with a guy that she just met so that she gets pregnant and wants nothing to do with him or the times that a one-nighter turns into an 18 year nightmare simply because she wanted the child more and the state backs her decision out of sexism.Are women not responsible?

    Can she not be held liable for her own decisions?If she wants the baby, that is fine. She should have the baby and the man should be able to be out of the picture, should he so choose. If she doesn not want to raise the child on her own with no support, then she should abort.

    Easy as that. That is her right. That is the law.

    Hopefull I have explained all of this well enough. Yes, this is about abortion and threads like this exist in the Abortion Forum, but this is also a poll. I would like to know what people think outside the abortion debating crowd.Be nice please and just stick to the poll.

    If tangents occur please make a thread in the Abortion Forum as would be appropriate.

    Thanks...
    No. Child support payments are not a punishment for having a kid; they're used to pay for the child's expenses. It isn't the child's fault if his father doesn't want him. This is not the same situation as a woman having an abortion; if she has an abortion, then there is no kid that requires child support payments. If the father disowns his child, then there is still a child who needs to be taken care of.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #238
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No. Child support payments are not a punishment for having a kid; they're used to pay for the child's expenses. It isn't the child's fault if his father doesn't want him. This is not the same situation as a woman having an abortion; if she has an abortion, then there is no kid that requires child support payments. If the father disowns his child, then there is still a child who needs to be taken care of.
    agreed but in REALITY making him pay child support will do very little to fill this need
    Last edited by AGENT J; 09-02-11 at 12:51 AM.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #239
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Child Support Payments

    So is there ever a case where a single father receives child support?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  10. #240
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Child Support Payments

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    So is there ever a case where a single father receives child support?
    Yes, if he is raising the child and the mother is not.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •