View Poll Results: Do higher-incomes work harder than lower-incomes?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the higher-incomes work harder

    38 44.71%
  • No, higher-incomes don't work harder

    35 41.18%
  • Other

    12 14.12%
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 179

Thread: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali
    You may need to brush up on your REAL WORLD skills as there are plenty of folks right now with sheep skins having to flip YOUR burgers and pump your gas.
    That's because college degrees have lost intrinsic value.

    Two things create value for a college degree - utility and scarcity. Forty years ago, colleges were not as populous as they are now. The majority of people going out of high school just entered the work force. To get a college degree was to invest your time and money for an assuredly higher payoff years later with a career above that of factory work or whatever. Nowadays, everyone goes to college it seems. There has been a saturation of college degrees in our society, and not enough growth in the white-collar segment to provide for them.

    Also, utility plays a factor. If you go get a degree in art, music, or some other liberal arts subject, you should not expect to go around flashing your papers and walk into a good paying job. That's what business, engineering, law, and medicine degrees are for.

    Again in the real world not everyone can push a broom. Kinda hard to do if you have no arms!!
    Whatever.

  2. #72
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-25-11 @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    116

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    A bit of an aside, but music and art school are constantly underestimated as useful areas of study. The advertising and entertainment industries are pretty damn big, not to mention artists are involved in just about every aspect of our daily lives from the chairs we sit in to the look and design of the computers we use.

  3. #73
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    What's also interesting to note is that some of the highest paid jobs in our society are those that produce the least benefit. Those who make the most are those whose occupations focus solely on making more money, not on producing a good product or providing a valuable service. Corporate accountants and attorneys just help some rich people become richer. A CEO's job isn't to improve the company's product, it's to raise the price of stock.

    Meanwhile, we're demonizing teachers for asking for a decent living. Endowments for the arts are always on the chopping block. Veterans' benefits are constantly slashed.

    It's strange how we gift such massive rewards on those who do nothing to help this country and the vast majority of people in it, but constantly undervalue those who do.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale
    What's also interesting to note is that some of the highest paid jobs in our society are those that produce the least benefit. Those who make the most are those whose occupations focus solely on making more money, not on producing a good product or providing a valuable service. Corporate accountants and attorneys just help some rich people become richer. A CEO's job isn't to improve the company's product, it's to raise the price of stock.

    Meanwhile, we're demonizing teachers for asking for a decent living. Endowments for the arts are always on the chopping block. Veterans' benefits are constantly slashed.
    That's because teachers are paid with self-actualization processes. A lot of teachers do what they do because they enjoy it. They get the praise, the pats on the back. What do I get? I'm not an accountant because I enjoy it. I don't expect a thumbs-up and an "atta boy". I don't "grow" as a person because I do books and taxation for people and businesses. Therefore, my work needs to be compensated through pure financial means.

    We already have too many "teachers" in the world. Give them all 6 figure salaries and bronze statues we all admire, and we'd just have even more people with a degree they can never hope to utilize.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by CompSciGuy
    A bit of an aside, but music and art school are constantly underestimated as useful areas of study. The advertising and entertainment industries are pretty damn big, not to mention artists are involved in just about every aspect of our daily lives from the chairs we sit in to the look and design of the computers we use.
    I'm sorry, but are you comparing art and music to engineering and architecture? Let's not fool ourselves here.

    I'm sure the huge brain at the Nike corporation who invented "Just do it" is living high on the hog, and didn't need 4 years of piano playing to do it.

  6. #76
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    That's because teachers are paid with self-actualization processes. A lot of teachers do what they do because they enjoy it. They get the praise, the pats on the back. What do I get? I'm not an accountant because I enjoy it. I don't expect a thumbs-up and an "atta boy". I don't "grow" as a person because I do books and taxation for people and businesses. Therefore, my work needs to be compensated through pure financial means.
    Or your talents could be put towards something worthy of praise, and then you could be paid in feeling good, too. Or maybe you don't actually think that feeling good is just compensation?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #77
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    1234567890
    Last edited by Paschendale; 09-06-11 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Double post
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    I'd rather take the money. I do what I do because my natural talents lean me that way - comparative advantage and all. You wouldn't hire me to paint your house just as you wouldn't hire your housepainter to do your taxes.

    My work is not going to change the world. I'll never get an old woman to hug me and bless me because I found her a deduction. Cut me a check and we're good.

    Not every job has to be a personal growth quest. In fact, the vast majority are not. Selling my talents to the highest bidder is acceptable, and encouraged in this economic ideology...and there's nothing wrong with that.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    10-16-11 @ 03:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,845

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Many people earn their "high" incomes because of the responsibility they assume thru their work.

    In the 80s, my father, a great-lakes ship captain, earned >$600/day, not because of his effort x distance moved, but because he was directly responsible for the lives or ~35 people and tens of millions of dollars of equipment.

    Because he didn't sweat, he should not have been paid so much?

  10. #80
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'd rather take the money. I do what I do because my natural talents lean me that way - comparative advantage and all. You wouldn't hire me to paint your house just as you wouldn't hire your housepainter to do your taxes.

    My work is not going to change the world. I'll never get an old woman to hug me and bless me because I found her a deduction. Cut me a check and we're good.



    Not every job has to be a personal growth quest. In fact, the vast majority are not. Selling my talents to the highest bidder is acceptable, and encouraged in this economic ideology...and there's nothing wrong with that.


    My Uncle was a Senior partner in one of the Big 8 accounting firms in the world...when they had that distinction...the big 8 is now gone.
    He had a masters from Columbia back when that was an achievement...today a masters is a nothing...your correct that college has been diluted down to almost the same stature as a getting a High school diploma in the 60s...its no biggy now, unless you have extended education in a field...a 4yr bs or ba isnt anything special at all....in 20 yrs or so when everyone has college...how they going to make any distinctions any more

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •