View Poll Results: Do higher-incomes work harder than lower-incomes?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the higher-incomes work harder

    38 44.71%
  • No, higher-incomes don't work harder

    35 41.18%
  • Other

    12 14.12%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 179

Thread: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

  1. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Simple fix. As I said, check their W-2s and past work history. If someone is below a certain level and has a child, they do not qualify for welfare.

    Then when the person dies, we'll confiscate the kid. One less leech to worry about.

    Why are we so adamant on fighting social Darwinism?

  2. #142
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Is it too damn much to ask you to at least try to verify the fantasies you so hold dear? Most selective and very selective colleges have need blind admissions and they'll put together financial aid packages which enable accepted students to attend. A student who is admitted to such colleges then has a choice where he has to balance quality of school versus attractiveness of the aid package offered. I knew plenty of such students during my college experience - 100% total aid packages.
    I notice you said "plenty" which means that you admit that not all have total aid packages and I also know plenty who had better grades than their wealthy friends and still could not pay tuition even after exhausting student loans. So stop trying to make yourself feel better by sicking your head in the sand.

    Additionally, most of the wealthy have a free ride as they do not have student loan debt after college, while those less fortunate have a huge debt when they first get out of college. This means, hypothetically, if two equal individuals got jobs at the same place, the wealthy person would end up with more money even if their pay rate was the same. So how is this equal opportunity again?

    Oh, and don't try to pull out the few exceptions where the employer pays the unpaid student loans. Those against equal opportunity love to point out the rare occasions where things worked out right. That argument is a just a cheap tactic meant to deceive those who don't know any better.

    Again ... is this equal opportunity? ..... ?
    Last edited by MusicAdventurer; 09-08-11 at 02:43 PM.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    I don't know how people can "run out" of loan money. After wasting two years getting boring crap done at community college, I transferred to the University of Michigan. Needless to say, this is no cheap school. I then went on and received an MBA afterward (not at U of M).

    I was never even close to running out of loan money.

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    After wasting two years getting boring crap done at community college, I transferred to the University of Michigan. Needless to say, this is no cheap school. I then went on and received an MBA afterward (not at U of M).
    U of M sucks. Go State!

    - U of M grad (Masters)
    - MSU grad (Bachelors)

    ;-)

  5. #145
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't know how people can "run out" of loan money. After wasting two years getting boring crap done at community college, I transferred to the University of Michigan. Needless to say, this is no cheap school. I then went on and received an MBA afterward (not at U of M).

    I was never even close to running out of loan money.
    Your basing your argument on the few schools you attended? Ridiculous.

    Its a funny thing ... believe it or not, different schools have different tuition .. and some of the most prestigious schools are incredibly costly.

    So its not a very hard concept.

    A. The government provides a certain amount in loans and grants.
    B. The school provides a certain amount in scholarships.
    C. Any other scholarships.

    D. Then their is the tuition bill.

    If the sum of A, B and C is greater than D, there is still tuition to be paid.

    I didn't realize it was such a hard concept to understand.

    Stop trying to escape the fact that equal opportunity does not exist.

  6. #146
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    You don't think the University of Michigan is prestigious? Ross is a top 5 business school nationally, up there with the likes of the Wharton (UPenn), and Harvard Biz.

    So yeah...not ridiculous. If you can't afford to go to Stanford or Duke or Yale for 4 years, don't expect loans to float you.

  7. #147
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Additionally, most of the wealthy have a free ride as they do not have student loan debt after college, while those less fortunate have a huge debt when they first get out of college.
    As is usually the case when we talk about ways that society is screwed up, this too we can lay at the feet of liberals.

    Let's break this problem down. Why do so many people want to go to college. Sure, we can't overlook lots of parties, lots of booze and lots of sex, but underneath all of that is the fact that a college degree prepares them for a better job when they graduate than would be the case with only a high school diploma. Now why is that? Obviously because employers screen applicants by education, that is, employers want to hire college graduates. Now why is that? Does an employer benefit from the fact that you studied the basketweaving practices of the Oaxaca woman in Mexico or that you're a whiz on the politics of Romania during the Ceaușescu regime? No, they value college degrees because these degree signal to the employer that the job applicant has a certain level of intelligence. They value Harvard degrees more than they value Univ. Of Podunk degrees because they believe that Harvard graduates are more intelligent than UofPodunk graduates.

    In short, the principal value of college degrees is that they are credentials which testify to a college graduates intelligence, of course, degrees which teach specific skills, like chemical engineering, math, etc do have value for the skills that were taught.

    Why don't employers simply use another method to test for job applicant intelligence thus removing the need for young people spending 4 years of their lives and countless tens of thousands of dollars, much of it debt pursing little more than a credential. Employers don't do this because the better method here, testing of IQ, has been made illegal by the liberals on the Supreme Court. Why did the Supreme Court rule in Griggs v. Duke Power that IQ tests are illegal for employers to use when they seek to test for intelligence beyond what is immediately needed for a specific job task? Because there is racial disparity on IQ tests - the infamous disparate impact on minorities.

    So, every college student who would rather have begun working and earning money and taking some night school classes for subject material that he found interesting or actually needed on the job is forced to forgo 4+ years of income, spend 4+ years in school taking many classes that he doesn't want to take, and take on much debt because he needs to earn a credential which signals to employers that he is intelligent, a finding that employers could answer with one single 1 hour test.

    That's liberals for you - never giving a moments thought to the unintended consequences which arise from their cockamamie schemes and court rulings. In order to protect one class of people from disparate impact they subject a far, far larger class of people to wasted time, lost opportunity and increased debt.

  8. #148
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You don't think the University of Michigan is prestigious? Ross is a top 5 business school nationally, up there with the likes of the Wharton (UPenn), and Harvard Biz.
    When I was there, their national ranking for the Ross school took a hit, citing egotism of their grads. Have they recovered at all? Maybe a prereq humility course set them straight again?

    http://www.michiganreview.com/archives/136
    Last edited by Neomalthusian; 09-08-11 at 06:38 PM.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    We Michigan business alumni are allowed egos. They're well deserved.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    We Michigan business alumni are allowed egos. They're well deserved.
    Sure, but if '07 is any indication, you're allowed your egos or your rankings. Tradeoffs...

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •