View Poll Results: Do higher-incomes work harder than lower-incomes?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the higher-incomes work harder

    38 44.71%
  • No, higher-incomes don't work harder

    35 41.18%
  • Other

    12 14.12%
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 179

Thread: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

  1. #131
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Sterilization isn't the right fix. Attacking the causes of poverty is. Thats why after I'm out of the military (6-8years) I'm starting a non-profit.
    one of the causes of poverty are the programs liberal politicians have created designed to keep people poor so they vote for the party of handouts



  2. #132
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    one of the causes of poverty are the programs liberal politicians have created designed to keep people poor so they vote for the party of handouts
    I'm not so sure. A constant thing harped on by libertarians and conservatives alike is the belief that welfare has greatly contributed to the destruction of the black family. However (IMO), if you look at the history of demographics of the black family you'll see a near steady increase in separation throughout the late 19th and early 20th century, and it spiked when the baby boomer generation came into adulthood. It seems to be more endemic in the community and more nuanced to be primarily caused by welfare IMO.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  3. #133
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    I'm not so sure. A constant thing harped on by libertarians and conservatives alike is the belief that welfare has greatly contributed to the destruction of the black family. However (IMO), if you look at the history of demographics of the black family you'll see a near steady increase in separation throughout the late 19th and early 20th century, and it spiked when the baby boomer generation came into adulthood. It seems to be more endemic in the community and more nuanced to be primarily caused by welfare IMO.
    what was the rate of black illegitimacy prior to the Great SOciety program? after it?



  4. #134
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what was the rate of black illegitimacy prior to the Great SOciety program? after it?
    I'd have to look it up to give you exact numbers, but you'd have to account for population growth in it as well, which I know most people don't do.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  5. #135
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    I'd have to look it up to give you exact numbers, but you'd have to account for population growth in it as well, which I know most people don't do.
    how is a rate of illegitimacy dependent on population



  6. #136
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    how is a rate of illegitimacy dependent on population
    sorry I'm a little buzzed. What I mean is that you'd have to account for population growth to get proper percentages.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  7. #137
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    sorry I'm a little buzzed. What I mean is that you'd have to account for population growth to get proper percentages.
    that doesn't make any sense



  8. #138
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that doesn't make any sense
    rate of growth in number of kids growing up in "broken homes" can be screwed if you don't take into account the rate of population expansion. Also, the more people you have growing up without parents 1 generation will likely increase the rate even more the next generation since people tend to act in the way they were raised, despite their qualms about it.

    For instance, kids that grow up in broken homes are likely to have broken homes themselves. If population is going up, the number of broken homes will also increase.
    Last edited by xpiher; 09-07-11 at 11:46 PM.
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  9. #139
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    Just have to chime in and say that I only worked (at least heavily) during summers too in college, for the most part, and I neither had (a) parents who could pay my way through school or (b) a scholarship.

    I did this by taking out student loans.
    Interesting ... so I presume you did not go to a "prestigious" college/university then, as, generally speaking, that would not be possible .. student loans do not cover those.

    So again .. those with inherited money or with wealthy parents go to higher profile schools (they have decent grades and lots of money) and, unless the student is extremely smart and gets a scholarship, is native American, etc., those who have no inherited money or wealthy parents do not go to those schools.

    So how is this equal opportunity again?

    Remember, in following with the idea of equal opportunity, people of the same skill level, intelligence level and so on, should be allowed the same quality education from the same colleges.

    Does this actually happen?
    Last edited by MusicAdventurer; 09-08-11 at 01:59 AM.

  10. #140
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Do Higher-Incomes Work Harder than Lower-Incomes?

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    Interesting ... so I presume you did not go to a "prestigious" college/university then, as, generally speaking, that would not be possible .. student loans do not cover those.
    Is it too damn much to ask you to at least try to verify the fantasies you so hold dear? Most selective and very selective colleges have need blind admissions and they'll put together financial aid packages which enable accepted students to attend. A student who is admitted to such colleges then has a choice where he has to balance quality of school versus attractiveness of the aid package offered. I knew plenty of such students during my college experience - 100% total aid packages.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •