View Poll Results: What would a welfare that rewards self-sufficiency look like? Select all that apply:

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.) It would not allow recipients more than is needed to survive

    7 46.67%
  • 2.) The reward for getting off welfare would be: recipients could afford more than necessities

    3 20.00%
  • 3.) programs would be temporary (recipients can only be on welfare for a certain period)

    11 73.33%
  • 4.) It would grant small monetary payouts for every step forward

    6 40.00%
  • 5.) Recipients would experience a sufficiently higher standard of living after getting off welfare

    6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 163

Thread: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficient?

  1. #11
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
    If work is available, make it a requirement to supplement welfare. In a sense make it workfare. Eliminate the excuse" If I get a job they will stop my checks." Obviously this would not apply to everyone, but it would provide some motivation.
    I couldn't agree with you more and if I am correct, I believe quite a few welfare programs require recipients to either work a certain amount of hours per week or show that they are trying to get work or if they cannot find work, they must volunteer .. if this isn't the case, I believe it should be.

    Wow, we agree on quite a bit of things, yet so many people have called me an extreme liberal/leftist (according to the political compass I am considered to be a Libertarian Leftist - anything but "extreme" and according to other political surveys I am considered a centrist) .. interesting how people can be so inaccurate with their accusations and or make exaggerations simply for argument's sake

  2. #12
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    It should be noted: part of the reason so little incentive exists for welfare recipients to seek employment is that many of them are under-educated (high school drop-outs, or little-to-no college) with few marketable skills. The jobs they find are usually low paying, with no benefits, so there's more money to be had staying on welfare.

    That's why I think a training program that disregards education level and focuses instead on latent ability would be a better option than just allowing for the status quo. And because many on welfare have young children, I see no reason why mandatory child development/education courses shouldn't be included.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  3. #13
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It should be noted: part of the reason so little incentive exists for welfare recipients to seek employment is that many of them are under-educated (high school drop-outs, or little-to-no college) with few marketable skills. The jobs they find are usually low paying, with no benefits, so there's more money to be had staying on welfare.

    That's why I think a training program that disregards education level and focuses instead on latent ability would be a better option than just allowing for the status quo. And because many on welfare have young children, I see no reason why mandatory child development/education courses shouldn't be included.
    This sounds quite reasonable as well. I definitely agree with this sentiment. There appears to be quite a bit of agreement on this topic and I am wondering why a good system has not yet been created and why people find so much to argue over regarding welfare?

  4. #14
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    This sounds quite reasonable as well. I definitely agree with this sentiment. There appears to be quite a bit of agreement on this topic and I am wondering why a good system has not yet been created and why people find so much to argue over regarding welfare?
    It would require that people admit that the program doesn't work as it is. I can't tell you how many times I've read or heard somebody say that there's nothing wrong with welfare and the system isn't easy to take advantage of. This program is 30+ years old (or parts of it are), and to admit we've spent billions (or even trillions) to fund a program that is highly inefficient and largely abused....well, it wouldn't be pretty, right?

    And, again, in a work-to-play system we'd see a short-term increase in unemployment when contractors lose out on labor bids to welfare recipients mandated to work as a term of receiving their monthly check. In an economy like this, the last thing either party wants on their heads is lost jobs.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by tess
    Just a point of record: In Texas, AC isn't a luxury. It's a necessity. The heat here can be (and is) deadly.
    I live in southern Alabama. I've seen southern heat, and down here high humidity as well. Fans can work in a pinch. Maybe a sauna for a house can incentivize.

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer
    Do you apply this to those with genuine disabilities? What should their standard of living be?
    Whatever their family can provide. Barring that, a humble existence with others of his/her kind in an assisted living home.

  6. #16
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    It would require that people admit that the program doesn't work as it is. I can't tell you how many times I've read or heard somebody say that there's nothing wrong with welfare and the system isn't easy to take advantage of. This program is 30+ years old (or parts of it are), and to admit we've spent billions (or even trillions) to fund a program that is highly inefficient and largely abused....well, it wouldn't be pretty, right?

    And, again, in a work-to-play system we'd see a short-term increase in unemployment when contractors lose out on labor bids to welfare recipients mandated to work as a term of receiving their monthly check. In an economy like this, the last thing either party wants on their heads is lost jobs.
    since the welfare reform of the nineties things have certainly changed. welfare IS temporary, and in most cases people are required to work or engage in a work related activity. i think that most people don't really know how wlefare works these days, but blanketly assume everyone on welfare is a deadbeat. many times, women with children are on welfare because of deadbeat dads won't won't pay child support. anyway, here is link to florida TANF:

    Florida TANF Program | Florida Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady
    many times, women with children are on welfare because of deadbeat dads won't won't pay child support
    Were these women raped? Assuming no, they bare the ultimate responsibility. Granted, if it's a child, maybe 2, I can possibly oversee things if it was a dissolved marriage.

    However, if you have 3, 4, 5 kids and your household income is like 40K, you're being extremely irresponsible. Maybe the state actually would be better off seizing those children.

    You need a license to drive, but anyone can breed. What a reckless society we live in.

  8. #18
    Advisor Blue Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    01-21-15 @ 06:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    426

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    since the welfare reform of the nineties things have certainly changed. welfare IS temporary, and in most cases people are required to work or engage in a work related activity. i think that most people don't really know how wlefare works these days, but blanketly assume everyone on welfare is a deadbeat. many times, women with children are on welfare because of deadbeat dads won't won't pay child support. anyway, here is link to florida TANF:

    Florida TANF Program | Florida Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families
    Unfortunately, along the same lines there are some single mothers on public assistance who purposely get pregnant to increase the size of the benefit.
    My family is more important than my party.
    -Zell Miller

  9. #19
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,170

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    One of the big problems people have sited with our current welfare system is that it currently does not provide and incentive for people to get off welfare. How could a welfare system be created so that recipients would be motivated to get off welfare?
    Interesting topic and one that I have dealt with in the past. In the late 1990s, I came up with an outline of how I would like to see government change and it covered welfare, immigration, taxes, regulations, education, energy, etc. My formatting doesn't work when pasted here. The solid dot is the main idea. The circle is a sub-point. Here is what I wrote for welfare:

    Charity
    o Private:
    o Individual
    o Family
    o Churches & Private Charities
    o Local government
    o State government
    o Personal contact and assessment of needs
    o Preferably based on agreement of conditions to improve personal ability to provide self-sufficiency
    o Based on no agreement of conditions if mental or physical needs or extreme tragedy
     Having charity doled out as money to individuals a continent away from the source of the funding with no assessment of the actual need that will truly aid the person to become self-sufficient. Many people are poor because they abuse drugs or alcohol or drop out of school without getting a diploma. Some just don't like working or don't like being told what to do. The reason for the agreement is to get the person to take the necessary steps to become a productive member of society rather than a drain on resources. Another option available to those who need assistance is education or training as long as a commitment is made to do well at the schooling and perhaps even adding a benefit of having those who receive assistance be available for offering back. Such a program would be an option for a state government.

  10. #20
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    Re: Is it possible to create a welfare system that rewards people to be self-sufficie

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    since the welfare reform of the nineties things have certainly changed. welfare IS temporary, and in most cases people are required to work or engage in a work related activity. i think that most people don't really know how wlefare works these days, but blanketly assume everyone on welfare is a deadbeat. many times, women with children are on welfare because of deadbeat dads won't won't pay child support. anyway, here is link to florida TANF:

    Florida TANF Program | Florida Temporary Cash Assistance for Needy Families
    I've been on welfare (the dependent of an adult recipient). I'm aware of the Texas and Michigan qualifications for welfare. "Temporary" varies from state to state and time constraints can be loosened or eliminated with the introduction of a new baby, the loss of a job, or other "life events". You can be cut off after reaching the time limit only to reapply and begin receiving checks again a few months later. Additionally, most on the system learn very quickly that it pays more to work a low-income job and stay on welfare than it does to seek a higher paying job and lose benefits. So they work low-skill, low-pay positions so that they meet qualifications without losing benefits.

    It isn't about being "deadbeats". It's about exploiting the flaws in the system to provide the most advantageous situation possible. The legislators built a system that allows for a lot of exploitation and provides little means of making a non-welfare life very appealing.

    Nobody here was even saying that recipients are deadbeats, or dishonest, or abusing the system.

    This entire thread was about how to make life after welfare more appealing and more productive than the current system allows.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •