View Poll Results: Why is the middle class the most crippled by income tax? Select all that apply

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Allowing many people to have a shot at being uber-wealthy is dangerous

    1 1.19%
  • Making the uber-wealthy share the load would be bad for the economy

    0 0%
  • The middle class do not have as much of an influence on politics as the wealthy do

    30 35.71%
  • The idea that the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax is a myth

    54 64.29%
  • A few wealthy, a few more middle class and many lower class citizens is best

    3 3.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 465

Thread: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I suppose I view your failure to include in the income of that hypothetical worker all the government assistance he would get, as well as compensation for whatever disabled him form making more, was laziness on your part; and I responded in kind.

    If that man can make more but refuses, he should starve.
    In this situation the man receives no additional government assistance or any other forms of things that could in any way be considered income.

    Also, the man can only make $40 a month because there are only two jobs that exists; one that pays $100,000 (the boss) and the other that pays $40.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    In this situation the man receives no additional government assistance or any other forms of things that could in any way be considered income.

    Also, the man can only make $40 a month because there are only two jobs that exists; one that pays $100,000 (the boss) and the other that pays $40.
    Link to this job which works someone full-time and only pays $40pr/mo.

    ...and yes, Section 8, SNAP, WIC, TANIF and similar all regard other government assistance, to include SS, as income.
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-26-11 at 07:03 PM.

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    ...and you think that solution is to bill the rich, as opposed to addressing why that perfectly healthy and educated worker is being exploited in what can only be a slave-trade?

    Even my sister who has had brain surgery and babysits occasionally makes more than that.

    Hell, these last couple months I've only worked 2 days a month (literally) and I make 6 times that.
    The situation was hypothetical to show that $40 carries a different value from person to person based on overall income/wealth levels.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    The situation was hypothetical to show that $40 carries a different value from person to person based on overall income/wealth levels.
    You're not taking about anything real. It's all in your head.

  5. #285
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're equating financial success with being a criminal. This is consistent with the Liberal trend for punishing success and rewarding failure.
    I'm actually exampling equal treatment under the law. You, however, are just arguing against type and being evasive. Do you concede?

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're not taking about anything real. It's all in your head.
    It's ok if you're unable to understand. I feel like this is getting nowhere.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Windy City
    Last Seen
    09-21-11 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    397

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You're not taking about anything real. It's all in your head.
    Actually, I'm sure you completely understand, you just are unable to come up with anything good to counter.

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostlyJoe View Post
    I'm actually exampling equal treatment under the law.
    Equality demands that everyone be taxed the same as everyone else. The only way to achieve this is by taxing each dollar the same regardless of who's hand it's in.

    It is imposable to achieve equality when class is a cornerstone of your rational. Basing a tax rate on economic class is identical to taxing based on sex or race. Your argument works just as well using those standards: "Men make more then women, therefore men should have to pay more tax....whites make more then Black, therefore white should have to pay more tax...".
    Last edited by Jerry; 08-26-11 at 08:17 PM.

  9. #289
    Guru
    GhostlyJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,706

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Equality demands that everyone be taxed the same as everyone else. The only way to achieve this is by taxing each dollar the same regardless of who's hand it's in.

    It is imposable to achieve equality when class is a cornerstone of your rational. Basing a tax rate on economic class is identical to taxing based on sex or race. Your argument works just as well using those standards: "Men make more then women, therefore men should have to pay more tax....whites make more then Black, therefore white should have to pay more tax...".
    The difference being permanence. A man will always be a man (with admitted exceptions). A black person will always be black (with admitted exceptions). But a poor college student might someday be a rich engineer.

    Let's take an example from the private sector. If I overdraft my account, I get a fee. Overdraft fees are overwhelmingly charged to poorer account holders. Is that discriminatory? Now, if overdraft fees were exclusively reserved for black clients, would that be discriminatory?

    And it goes beyond fees and penalties. The higher your balance in a CD, the higher the rate of interest. Likewise with credit cards, the higher the debt, the greater the rate of interest. Would you demand equality in these areas?

    Then there's the nature of equality itself. Is it more fair that everyone pay the same rate or the same amount? Is it fair that one mail clerk makes $14/hour and one makes $8/hour?

  10. #290
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,649

    Re: Why does the middle class pay the most crippling amount of income tax?

    Quote Originally Posted by David D. View Post
    That's because we have a progressive tax system, which is based largely on the idea that people of higher income levels can give a greater % of their income without affecting their quality of life, while lower income people can only afford to give a very small % of their income and still get by.

    Those in poverty often need almost all of their income, every month, to pay rent, buy food, ect (get by, ie live paycheck to paycheck) while those who make say $1 million can comfortably give 20-30% to taxes and not see any changes to their quality of life.

    That's the idea behind it and why a "flat tax" will not be much of a benefit to those of lower income levels.

    As for whether or not the government is effective at using the revenue... that's a whole other debate.
    we mainly maintain a progressive income tax because it allows politicians to buy the votes of the many by promising them all sorts of government goodies that will mainly be paid for by a minority of voters.



Page 29 of 47 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •