View Poll Results: Should public school teachers be able to call creationism "superstitious nonsense"?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; they have freedom of speech and academic freedom

    33 56.90%
  • No; this amounts to the state picking sides on a religious matter

    14 24.14%
  • Other

    11 18.97%
Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 412

Thread: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

  1. #391
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    42,058

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    "creationism" i.e., there is a creator for this Earth, as opposed to everything having happened on its own, by accident.

    "creationism" i.e., the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and the Adam and Eve story is factual and literal.

    Two different things. One based on reason, one based on ancient writings, neither based on science.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #392
    Professor xpiher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-23-12 @ 10:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,993

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    "creationism" i.e., there is a creator for this Earth, as opposed to everything having happened on its own, by accident.

    "intelligent design" i.e., the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and the Adam and Eve story is factual and literal.

    Two different things. One based on reason, one based on ancient writings, neither based on science.
    Fixed 10char
    Hayek - too liberal for republicans

  3. #393
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    ...as opposed to everything having happened on its own, by accident....
    If it happened on it's own, it couldn't possibly be an accident.

  4. #394
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,111

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You're using "a reason" instead of "reason". Two entirely different things.
    No, I am not.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #395
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by xpiher View Post
    Fixed 10char
    That's not what intelligent design is. That's young-earth creationism.

  6. #396
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,111

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    "creationism" i.e., there is a creator for this Earth, as opposed to everything having happened on its own, by accident.

    "creationism" i.e., the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and the Adam and Eve story is factual and literal.

    Two different things. One based on reason, one based on ancient writings, neither based on science.
    That does make a lot of sense as there is more than one way to end up believing in creationism
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #397
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    "creationism" i.e., there is a creator for this Earth, as opposed to everything having happened on its own, by accident.

    "creationism" i.e., the Earth is only a few thousand years old, and the Adam and Eve story is factual and literal.

    Two different things. One based on reason, one based on ancient writings, neither based on science.
    there is more than one version of creationism, you have simply picked the most extreme.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #398
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    60,111

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    there is more than one version of creationism, you have simply picked the most extreme.
    Do you have a link that lists the different versions so that we can evaluate your claims, or should we just take it on faith that you're correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #399
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's not what intelligent design is. That's young-earth creationism.
    I got kicked out of my sister-in-law's church because I told them I thought "young earth" creationism was BS. how anyone can deny the physical and astronomical evidence that the earth is billions of years old is beyond me.

    I told them you have 2 options:

    either you believe the physical evidence and that the earth is very old or you believe that God is a liar and has placed things on earth and in space to make us think the earth is very old.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #400
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Do you have a link that lists the different versions so that we can evaluate your claims, or should we just take it on faith that you're correct?
    young earth vs old earth.

    there ^^^ is two, which is more than one. you are wrong AGAIN.

    What is Creationism?
    Last edited by OscarB63; 08-25-11 at 02:19 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •