View Poll Results: Should public school teachers be able to call creationism "superstitious nonsense"?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; they have freedom of speech and academic freedom

    33 56.90%
  • No; this amounts to the state picking sides on a religious matter

    14 24.14%
  • Other

    11 18.97%
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 412

Thread: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

  1. #331
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And the rest of KNOW that words have several meanings, and which is used depends on context.

    According to the dictionary, the word proven has several definitions, one of which defines the words pretty much the way I've been using it. Your claim that the word "proven" means one thing is a FAIL
    So what definition of proven means not proven?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #332
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So what definition of proven means not proven?
    Only for the fools who think "proven" has only one definition. I count 8 different meanings

    Proven | Define Proven at Dictionary.com



    verb (used with object)
    1. to establish the truth or genuineness of, as by evidence or argument: to prove one's claim.

    2. Law . to establish the authenticity or validity of (a will); probate.

    3. to give demonstration of by action.

    4. to subject to a test, experiment, comparison, analysis, or the like, to determine quality, amount, acceptability, characteristics, etc.: to prove ore.

    5. to show (oneself) to have the character or ability expected of one, especially through one's actions.


    verb (used without object)
    10. to turn out: The experiment proved to be successful.

    11. to be found by trial or experience to be: His story proved false.

    12. (of dough) to rise to a specified lightness: Leave covered until it has proved.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  3. #333
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Only for the fools who think "proven" has only one definition. I count 8 different meanings

    Proven | Define Proven at Dictionary.com
    Yes, I know it has multiple definitions. I also know that the general meaning does not apply to evolution, nor is it what you meant when you said evolution was proven.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #334
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, I know it has multiple definitions. I also know that the general meaning does not apply to evolution, nor is it what you meant when you said evolution was proven.
    You said that the word has one meaning. Now, you're claiming that "it has multiple meanings"

    And of the 8 definitions I posted, all but 2, 5 and 12 could possibly apply to evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  5. #335
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You said that the word has one meaning. Now, you're claiming that "it has multiple meanings"

    And of the 8 definitions I posted, all but 2, 5 and 12 could possibly apply to evolution
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Some of us feel that words have meanings, and when you use a word like "proven", which means one thing, trying to use it to mean something completely different is foolish.
    There is what I actually said. Let me clarify: the general usage for proven, including as you used it, it means definition definition 1. Further, you are wrong in that definition 1 does not work for evolution, nor does 3, nor does 5 through 12. In fact, the only one that remotely comes close to your claim is 4, and that form is not used as you used the word.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #336
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is what I actually said. Let me clarify: the general usage for proven, including as you used it, it means definition definition 1. Further, you are wrong in that definition 1 does not work for evolution, nor does 3, nor does 5 through 12. In fact, the only one that remotely comes close to your claim is 4, and that form is not used as you used the word.
    No, it doesn't mean #1 only. All but three of those definitions could be used in a discussion about evolution, depending on the intent and context
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #337
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, it doesn't mean #1 only. All but three of those definitions could be used in a discussion about evolution, depending on the intent and context
    I did not say it meant one only. Try being honest please. The first definition however would not work for evolution since the truth of evolution is not established.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #338
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not say it meant one only. Try being honest please. The first definition however would not work for evolution since the truth of evolution is not established.
    No, you didn't say it meant one only



    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Some of us feel that words have meanings, and when you use a word like "proven", which means one thing, trying to use it to mean something completely different is foolish. Evolution is not proven, nor is relatively, nor quantum theory. This is not a negative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is what I actually said. Let me clarify: the general usage for proven, including as you used it, it means definition definition 1. Further, you are wrong in that definition 1 does not work for evolution, nor does 3, nor does 5 through 12. In fact, the only one that remotely comes close to your claim is 4, and that form is not used as you used the word.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #339
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    its been thoroughly explained what "proven" means in a scientific context. other definitions or personal definitions do not apply. continue to be pedantic if you wish.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  10. #340
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    its been thoroughly explained what "proven" means in a scientific context. other definitions or personal definitions do not apply. continue to be pedantic if you wish.
    Actually, in a scientific context, it is not proven. It's not being pedantic, it is being right. Sangha decided to overstate the case, and as always happens when some one does that, actually hurts his point and those who are accurate. Scientists do not consider evolution to be proven. They do consider it to be a true model however, which is a small but important distinction. When you attempt to overstate a point, either through dishonesty or ignorance, you actually make your point weaker. You will not find many people on this board either more strongly supportive of the theory of evolution, nor much more knowledgeable on the topic. I am not trying to discount the strength of the theory in any way. I am simply trying to be accurate so that those who will attempt to discount the theory have as little ammunition as possible.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •