View Poll Results: Should public school teachers be able to call creationism "superstitious nonsense"?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; they have freedom of speech and academic freedom

    33 56.90%
  • No; this amounts to the state picking sides on a religious matter

    14 24.14%
  • Other

    11 18.97%
Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 412

Thread: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

  1. #211
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    so what you are saying is that scientifically proven isn't really proven. thanks again for the clarification
    I don't know where you saw "isn't really proven".
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #212
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    sangha says

    proven = proven

    but sceintifically proven = supported by evidence.

    therefore scientifically proven theories can later be disproven if new evidence comes to light. which means they were never proven to begin with.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #213
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    sangha says

    proven = proven

    but sceintifically proven = supported by evidence.

    therefore scientifically proven theories can later be disproven if new evidence comes to light. which means they were never proven to begin with.
    I don't know why you continue mistating the definition of scientifically proven, when I have posted a quote that is different from your straw man argument

    You are careless with words. You use the word "proven" when what you mean is "absolutely proven". When I used the word "proven" earlier, I was referring to "scientifically proven".
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #214
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I don't know where you saw "isn't really proven".
    if something has been proven. that's it. it is proven. it has been proven that 2+2 = 4. it has been proven that a neutral atom has the same number of protons and electrons. it has been proven that when deprived of oxygen, humans die.

    theories are mutable and can/have been altered when new evidence is found. they can never be proven. they can be accepted but never proven.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #215
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I don't know why you continue mistating the definition of scientifically proven, when I have posted a quote that is different from your straw man argument

    You are careless with words. You use the word "proven" when what you mean is "absolutely proven". When I used the word "proven" earlier, I was referring to "scientifically proven".
    and you have yet to provide me with a definition (other than your own) for "scientifically proven"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #216
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I don't know why you continue mistating the definition of scientifically proven, when I have posted a quote that is different from your straw man argument

    You are careless with words. You use the word "proven" when what you mean is "absolutely proven". When I used the word "proven" earlier, I was referring to "scientifically proven".
    I think you're the one abusing "proof".
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

  7. #217
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    I think you're the one abusing "proof".
    I like to refer to my theories as being unicornially proven.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #218
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    if something has been proven. that's it. it is proven. it has been proven that 2+2 = 4. it has been proven that a neutral atom has the same number of protons and electrons. it has been proven that when deprived of oxygen, humans die.

    theories are mutable and can/have been altered when new evidence is found. they can never be proven. they can be accepted but never proven.
    No, words can have different meanings in different contexts.

    And theories can be scientifically proven.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #219
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and you have yet to provide me with a definition (other than your own) for "scientifically proven"
    Sure I have. I even posted links as you requested
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #220
    Professor
    Mathematician's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,147

    Re: Judges rule for teacher who called creationism "superstitious nonsense"

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, words can have different meanings in different contexts.

    And theories can be scientifically proven.
    How about you use the more accurate phrase "scientific evidence"?
    "With me everything turns into mathematics."
    "It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well."
    "It is truth very certain that, when it is not in one's power to determine what is true, we ought to follow what is more probable." -- Rene Descartes

Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •